Search

Refunds after flight departs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:07 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Refunds after flight departs

I booked a last-minute, fully refundable ticket on DL (as a backup as my existing flight was having mechanical issues). I’d like to cancel (issue was resolved); however, the system won’t allow me to do it online and as a non-elite the phone/chat wait times are insane. I am afraid my flight will depart before I can get connected and formally cancel. Unfortunately I needed to fly ASAP (thus need for DL backup flight in the first place), so going to the check-in counter / sky club / whatever was not an option.

Will DL issue a refund after the flight departs or am I at risk of losing my money? Note that I did attempt to contact them via chat and phone 2 hours in advance. I also read that they were previously processing no-show refunds automatically, but that this was no longer the case.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That depends on the fare rules. "Fully refundable" and "last minute" are not the issue.

There are some tickets which retain there value even after the flight has departed (without you on it). Most require cancellation prior to departure.

If indeed your fare rules do require cancellation prior to departure and it rolls up to boarding time for your first flight, notify the Twitter team and also note that you tried to call. At least you will have a time-stamped item.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:15 pm

I have never had a problem cancelling many flights after departure and getting a refund. Especially during covid.
_fx likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 8:24 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
That depends on the fare rules. "Fully refundable" and "last minute" are not the issue.

There are some tickets which retain there value even after the flight has departed (without you on it). Most require cancellation prior to departure.

If indeed your fare rules do require cancellation prior to departure and it rolls up to boarding time for your first flight, notify the Twitter team and also note that you tried to call. At least you will have a time-stamped item.
I thought this was implied but apparently not. It’s a standard refundable ticket. That means cancel any time prior to departure. My question is simply if I cannot cancel prior to departure because I cannot get in touch with DL will they issue a refund.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by _fx
I thought this was implied but apparently not. It’s a standard refundable ticket. That means cancel any time prior to departure. My question is simply if I cannot cancel prior to departure because I cannot get in touch with DL will they issue a refund.
YES! Delta is good about this.

But best for you - both in terms of time savings, and to have proof - is to either DM via Twitter or text message. In both of these cases, they can see when you first attempted to reach out to them, and any delay in their getting back to you won’t be held against you.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by _fx
Sorry to say, but there is not a "standard refundable ticket." Just as an example, checking random days a month from now, there are over 200 fare bases for DCA-ATL ranging in price from $242 to $9,600 round-trip. Every one of those fares has some nuance (which may well not be terms of refundability).

I used to ignore the fare rules beyond the obvious, but it's often possible to bump up a few dollars and obtain some fare rule benefit which is worth it to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.