Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Status of JFK T2 during COVID (reopened late June 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

All else equal, I'm going to let the better lounge determine which flight I book, but that lounge is only any good if I can actually get to it easily. Does Delta really only use T4 at JFK, or might I end up in T2? I thought they were also in T2 for some reason.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
In normal times, Delta uses T2 and T4. Due to the reduction in flights with the pandemic, T2 is currently closed and all DL flights are departing/arriving at T4.
bgriff likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Right now you won't end up in T2 and in all likelihood you'll never go there again.

What are the two lounge options?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Right now you won't end up in T2 and in all likelihood you'll never go there again.
Unless they build out T4A, DL will need to reopen 2 eventually when slot exemptions end. They just don't have the space at 4 for all flights, do they?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ty97
Unless they build out T4A, DL will need to reopen 2 eventually when slot exemptions end. They just don't have the space at 4 for all flights, do they?
They're expanding the A side of T4 with new gates, and it will have a DL snapchat as well. So those new gates will replace T2
Old Apr 10, 2021, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

What are the two lounge options?
Centurion in JFK in T4 or the Sky Club (I guess B Concourse?) in ATL. downside to Sky Club is if my dad catches a flight that has the same second leg (we will meet in the destination but not leave from the same city), he wouldn't be able to come into the sky club without paying $39.

But the flight is in August, so I guess that makes JFK a wild card still.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Crossinator
They're expanding the A side of T4 with new gates, and it will have a DL snapchat as well. So those new gates will replace T2
I know that's been the plan for a while, but is it anywhere near fruition?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Centurion lounge at JFK is far from the DL gates, although it's in the same TSA airport security airside area. There's a large SC that's in the middle of the DL gates, although there still can be long walks.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
My guess Southwest Airlines will take T2. They will announce it. Replace old Delta T2.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
I think it’s pretty unlikely traffic will rebound in a way that would make T2 necessary before T4 is yet again expanded.

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Centurion in JFK in T4 or the Sky Club (I guess B Concourse?) in ATL. downside to Sky Club is if my dad catches a flight that has the same second leg (we will meet in the destination but not leave from the same city), he wouldn't be able to come into the sky club without paying $39.

But the flight is in August, so I guess that makes JFK a wild card still.
Centurion Lounge is better. I would just go straight there personally.

Originally Posted by N830MH
My guess Southwest Airlines will take T2. They will announce it. Replace old Delta T2.
I’d give this a 0% of happening. The only way WN will ever serve JFK is if every other NY airport is permanently closed.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 8:24 pm

I think it’s pretty unlikely traffic will rebound in a way that would make T2 necessary before T4 is yet again expanded.
I'm not sure what the schedule is for expansion of T4A so I can't say about traffic rebounding. But at some point, the PANYNJ is going to make airlines start using (or lose) their slots again, even if the airlines would prefer not to.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Do you think they will still be using only T4 in May? Flying in from FLL and back there.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by WolfieG
Do you think they will still be using only T4 in May? Flying in from FLL and back there.
100%. The future expansion/reopening of T2 is not gonna take place until 2022 probably
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
WN isn't coming to JFK. ISP/LGA serves WN much better than JFK ever could. EWR will return before JFK is considered.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Well you guessed wrong.

As per the masterplan DL will stop using T2 once they have completed the work on expanding T4 (by early 2023 according to the plans) and T2 will then be demolished and the site subsumed (along with the site of previous T3) into the new mega T1 that is being developed.
flyerCO, ysolde, cmd320 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.