Wiki Posts
Search

Checking bags in PHX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Checking bags in PHX

We have a 6 AM flight, and will be checking several boxes. Has anyone ever tried to check their luggage the night before for an early flight out of PHX? Even though this is my home airport, we have never tried this. 2 weeks ago, there was no skycap services. Anyone know if they have returned.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by FC flyer
We have a 6 AM flight, and will be checking several boxes. Has anyone ever tried to check their luggage the night before for an early flight out of PHX? Even though this is my home airport, we have never tried this. 2 weeks ago, there was no skycap services. Anyone know if they have returned.
I don’t think you can check the night before. I think 3 hours before is the norm.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL
When I walked by at 4:45 am on Monday of this week, the skycap was open.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We do! There is Skycap on south side of T3. Go to curbside check in or go to ticket counter. You have be there 2 hours before departure time.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No checking night before. You can check anytime same day except at a few select exceptions.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Today was the day to travel with boxes needing to be checked. Skycaps open at 4:30, not a minute early. We came early and had to bring them inside to be checked. When we returned at 4:45 after parking the car, skycap lines had 25-30 people, and inside lines at sky priority had at least 20, and had to be over 100 people in line to check bags for non-priority. Lines everywhere today.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Today was the day to travel with boxes needing to be checked. Skycaps open at 4:30, not a minute early. We came early and had to bring them inside to be checked. When we returned at 4:45 after parking the car, skycap lines had 25-30 people, and inside lines at sky priority had at least 20, and had to be over 100 people in line to check bags for non-priority. Lines everywhere today.
very good. Don’t you have any problems with ticket agents?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
PHX in the early mornings has been chaos at the Delta check-in counters.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Love the agents in PHX. Hate lugging 4 heavy boxes inside. So much easier checking them at the curb.
N830MH likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Love the agents in PHX. Hate lugging 4 heavy boxes inside. So much easier checking them at the curb.
Well, the skycaps work for a private company and DL only allows them to do so much. If flying DL out of PHX, I always advise getting there early if you must check bags. It can be a zoo anytime of day. Pre-pandemic, I had a 6pm flight and got there around 4pm. Thankfully, I was flying F, so I could get in the priority line. Still waited 15 minutes! The regular line was easily 1 hour long.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, the skycaps work for a private company and DL only allows them to do so much. If flying DL out of PHX, I always advise getting there early if you must check bags. It can be a zoo anytime of day. Pre-pandemic, I had a 6pm flight and got there around 4pm. Thankfully, I was flying F, so I could get in the priority line. Still waited 15 minutes! The regular line was easily 1 hour long.
My last flight out of PHX a few weeks back had me wait for about 5 minutes in the priority line, looked like the regular line looked to be about 30-minutes or so. This was about 6:30am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.