Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Podcast with Ed Bastian CEO of Delta, April 2021

Old Apr 8, 21, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

30 minutes of pandemic perspectives from Ed Bastian.

-Inventory is basically selling out right now.
-Not missing revenue from blocking middle seats (30 percent fewer seats selling at 30 percent higher prices)
-35 percent of Delta employees are vaccinated, including Ed.
-Will not be mandating vaccination.
-75 percent of passengers expect to be vaccinated by Memorial Day.
-Masks sticking around for an ďextended period.Ē
-Donít want to build too far ahead of demand curve.
-Explosion of travel in next 12-18 months, including business travel.
-Expects domestic travel to return entirely in the next year.
-Europe will be figured out by end of summer.
-NPS score 20 points higher now than before pandemic.
-Free wi-fi is coming with new provider.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000516266870

Last edited by DLASflyer; Apr 8, 21 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 8, 21, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post

-Inventory is basically selling out right now.
-Not missing revenue from blocking middle seats (30 percent fewer seats selling at 30 percent higher prices)
-35 percent of Delta employees are vaccinated, including Ed.
-Will not be mandating vaccination.
-75 percent of passengers expect to be vaccinated by Memorial Day.
-Masks sticking around for an ďextended period.Ē
-Donít want to build too far ahead of demand curve.
-Explosion of travel in next 12-18 months, including business travel.
-Expects domestic travel to return entirely in the next year.
-Europe will be figured out by end of summer.
-NPS score 20 points higher now than before pandemic.
-Free wi-fi is coming with new provider.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000516266870
Cool. Do you think they'll start answering the phone one of these days?
rylan, SFO777, demkr and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Is the bolded section your words or his?
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
That was my first question too, when I saw the point about not building out too far from the demand curve...they canít even provide basic reservations assistance now for the demand they have today, let alone for the growth/explosion he is predicting

Also, funny that Ed said last year that travel would not rebound for 3-5 years; he is a bad predictor and a worse CEO
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
I called Delta last night around 2355 EDT to use an RUC on a Delta 1 trip (DCA-JFK-LAX-RNO) where the availability showed up on delta.com. The disembodied male voice told me that the hold time was 3 hours 23 minutes, but didn't offer me a call back option like in the recent past. I stayed on the line and a live female reservationist came on the line at 0020 EDT, only a 25 minute wait. The agent was great and I got my RUC applied to the trip.
RobertS975 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Also, funny that Ed said last year that travel would not rebound for 3-5 years; he is a bad predictor and a worse CEO
Ed needs to retire immediately. We need a new CEO to make Delta great again.
RobertS975, Aloha1, angra and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 2:03 pm

As far as the prices are concerned, they are lower than they were pre-pandemic.

DCA-RNO and return, 21+ day advance purchase, leaving on a Wednesday and returning on Sunday, was $421.00 RT
DCA-GTF and return, 21+ day advance purchase, leaving on a Thursday and returning on Sunday, was $440.00 RT

I went to a couple of non-mainline airports in Oregon in the fall of 2020, MFR and RDM, where the airfares were in the $390 range RT. These places were never so cheap to get to as they were last year.

RTs to these airports in the past was generally never less than $600.
Old Apr 8, 21, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Is the bolded section your words or his?
Exact quote:
"We have been fortunate that our customers have not only appreciated that we've kept the seats blocked but they've rewarded us. When you look at Delta against our main competitors, you wouldn't see in our financials that we're somehow missing 30 percent of our revenues by not selling them. Our revenue base is just as strong as theirs with considerably fewer seats available for sale. Customers are rewarding us not only with their business but by paying a premium."
Old Apr 8, 21, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Ed's dalliance with crude politics has undermined my long-standing DL loyalty. Now exploring alternatives, and it is exciting.
Aloha1, angra, Armani and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 4:11 pm

Iíve had to call about three times lately to make changes to reservations. I have not waited at all. Maybe Iím just incredibly lucky when I picked my times but so far I canít complain about telephone waits

(More than I can say for both Marriott and my MDís office for example)
Old Apr 8, 21, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
If you ask me DL is the worst I’ve seen it in 10 years of flying. Hold times are redonkulous (2.5hr last night for this DM...). Onboard service is abysmal right now (and not inline with the competition). I can live with those, but these operational meltdowns every holiday weekend are unacceptable. First one, ok maybe a mistake, but they’ve had at least 4 now over 6 months. And remember they’re not even close to running a full schedule and their flights are only 2/3s booked. Imagine how jammed the phones will be next month when they’re carrying ~50% more peeps heading into summer storm season. Fares are also high compared to comp (maybe this will change when allowing more pax).

Im going to give DL the rest of the year to see how they recover. I def prefer the 2019 DL over the comp. But, If it looks like RDU isn’t going to get P2P flights back, in flight service remains poor, and/or it looks like I won’t re-qual for status, I’m going to try a status match at UA and try them out.

Last edited by HDQDD; Apr 8, 21 at 5:28 pm Reason: Forgot two letters.
Old Apr 8, 21, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
If you ask me DL is the worst Iíve seen it in 10 years of flying. Hold times are redonkulous (2.5hr last night for this DM...). Onboard service is abysmal right now (and not inline with the competition). I can live with those, but these operational meltdowns every holiday weekend are unacceptable. First one, ok maybe a mistake, but theyíve had at least 4 now over 6 months. And remember theyíre not even close to running a full schedule and their flights are only 2/3s booked. Imagine how jammed the phones will be next month when theyíre carrying ~50% more peeps heading into summer storm season. Fares are also high compared to comp (maybe this will change when allowing more pax).

Im going to give DL the rest of the year to see how they recover. I def prefer the 2019 DL over the comp. But, If it looks like RDU isnít going to get P2P flights back, in flight service remains poor, and/or it looks like I wonít re-qual for status, Iím going to try a status match at UA and try them out.
I just recently relocated to DEN from ATL, so Iím waiting until July 1st to apply for a status match to UA. The few times Iíve flown on UA this year, service has been light years better.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:07 pm

Net promoter score 20 points higher than pre-covid days is impressive. It seems as though Delta's scant on board offerings and operational woes haven't had a detrimental effect on customer satisfaction overall.
BearX220, OHDL1 and ethernal like this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta GM
Originally Posted by FlyHappy33 View Post
Net promoter score 20 points higher than pre-covid days is impressive. It seems as though Delta's scant on board offerings and operational woes haven't had a detrimental effect on customer satisfaction overall.
It would be interesting to know the flight time breakdown of their current flight schedule. If a very high percentage of flights are sub-hour or even sub-2 hour, then the service level in Y hasn't been much for a long time so there's not that much to miss.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 8, 21, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I have a feeling that net promoter score is going to tank once the seat blocking officially ends May 1... expensive tickets, elbow to elbow, and minimal cabin service.
ty97 and cmd320 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: