Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Easter 2021 Meltdown - 82 flights cancelled 4/4/2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Easter 2021 Meltdown - 82 flights cancelled 4/4/2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
Anecdote FWIW:

I flew via DTW today. Both of my flights had been 0 seats available in FC per the upgrade lists as of yesterday afternoon (I somehow snuck into the last seat via upgrade around check-in time for the first leg). By last night, with capacity controls lifted, the flights were showing 6 and 4 seats available in F, though both were already at COVID capacity for F. Today, neither flight processed any upgrades from the list to F and stuck to the stated policy. I am assuming (though can't know for certain) that this is because neither of the routes I was flying had any flights canceled, so they didn't need the capacity. I think it was the right way to handle it. Why fill up the cabin against your stated policy when there are no cancellations on the route to try to accommodate? (I sat in my C+ seat on the second leg and have no complaints).

Based on my single experience, I'm wondering if DL is only filling cabins where necessary to make up for cancellations? That's still not great if they are going against stated policy, but it's better than doing it on all flights across the board.

Also, while walking from my arrival gate to my departure gate at DTW, I did hear a gate agent making an announcement about Delta lifting the capacity controls (not sure what exact wording he used) for today and tomorrow. I did not take note of what city that flight was headed to though.

I had one leg on AA today as well. Completely full flights, with standbys trying to get on. And I got coke zero from the FA.
Flightaware shows 4 DL flights out of DTW cancelled today -- morning flights to LAX and ATL, afternoon flight to RSW, and evening flight to MCO. While this would certainly cause some capacity issues on those routes that had cancels and probably some hub-to-hub flights. The majority flights should not have seen much of an impact.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Well it’s blatant mismanagement on DLs part. They should’ve been prepared and knew well in advance there would be issues yet they did nothing until last minute and canceled flights and pulled capacity limits.
And my flight had the GAs processing upgrades and clearing standby and non rev pax into F and C+
Yes, you would have expected they would have learned from the Christmas or Thanksgiving disasters, but clearly they did not.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Exactly. And this isn’t even a big holiday travel weekend yet they can’t keep it together.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Flightaware shows 4 DL flights out of DTW cancelled today -- morning flights to LAX and ATL, afternoon flight to RSW, and evening flight to MCO. While this would certainly cause some capacity issues on those routes that had cancels and probably some hub-to-hub flights. The majority flights should not have seen much of an impact.
Yep, agreed.

I wanted to share my experience to show that DL was not just throwing out capacity rules across the board apparently (which is good that they are not!)

BTW, I swear the gate I arrived at in DTW had a canceled departing SLC flight listed (checking real quick). Yep, the 8:30am DTW-SLC canceled as well. And there were a couple of significant delays like the 9:15am DTW-LGA showing a 4.5 hour posted delay at 6am this morning.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm of the opinion that no compensation should be offered to anyone here. Marketing is just that, marketing. Seat blocking was never included in the contract of carriage.

I never bought from day one that blocking out seats protected anyone from COVID. I felt perfectly safe on my sold out AA flights. If Delta's actions were grounded in science, everyone else would be copying them still. The liability that the other airlines would have been exposing themselves to would have been unimaginable. If Delta's decision was based in reality.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 4, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Marketing is just that, marketing.
HUH?!? So no company should be held accountable for anything they say to entice someone to buy their product. Gotcha.
dw, dknn, dls25 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
I'm of the opinion that no compensation should be offered to anyone here. Marketing is just that, marketing. Seat blocking was never included in the contract of carriage.

I never bought from day one that blocking out seats protected anyone from COVID. I felt perfectly safe on my sold out AA flights. If Delta's actions were grounded in science, everyone else would be copying them still. The liability that the other airlines would have been exposing themselves to would have been unimaginable. If Delta's decision was based in reality.
But the Mayo Clinic.... 😂
cmd320 and KDCAflyer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
HUH?!? So no company should be held accountable for anything they say to entice someone to buy their product. Gotcha.
Delta stated in marketing materials that they were blocking seats through a certain date. The contract of carriage gives Delta a lot of flexibility in change things without notice. Every Delta passenger agreed to these terms when they bought a ticket. I see no liability here, and I'm sure that Delta's lawyers didn't either. Otherwise they would have advised operations to simply cover hotels and issue IDB as needed.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Delta stated in marketing materials that they were blocking seats through a certain date. The contract of carriage gives Delta a lot of flexibility in change things without notice. Every Delta passenger agreed to these terms when they bought a ticket. I see no liability here.
It's a shame that the US majors have such a cozy relationship with the DOT and FAA (the entities that regulate airlines). The FTC would absolutely have a field day over something like this if they had regulatory authority. Unfortunately at most the DoT will just dutifully log consumer complaints and at best maybe give Delta a stern look with a "hey you shouldn't do that you silly goose!" comment.

Adhesion contracts like the CoC don't allow large corporations to ignore standard consumer protections regardless of what is in the contract in most industries.
jmastron, cmd320 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It’s still false advertising and not getting what you expected when purchasing the ticket.

is it also ok if delta puts everyone on busses instead of planes? They’re still getting the pax to their destination...
jmastron and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
It’s still false advertising and not getting what you expected when purchasing the ticket.

is it also ok if delta puts everyone on busses instead of planes? They’re still getting the pax to their destination...
Airlines have used buses before for short-haul RJ passengers during IRROPS. At that point you either take the bus, wait for another flight, or get a refund.

Delta isn't swapping buses in on JFK-LAX lol. And if they tried, not a single person would walk away without a refund.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Are people on this thread who are flying today and tomorrow planning to file a complaint with Delta, at least? If not with the DOT or their State Attorney General's office; it can't get any clearer bait and switch than this. They advertised something and failed to deliver, all because of an error on their part, and all to save money.

If that isn't fraud (and save me the nonsense of all the carve outs in the COC), I don't know what is. They clearly knew about their advertising but still had intent to collect the higher fares from more passengers (and as others here have pointed out, are still selling seats on flights that are already at their advertised capacity).
My wife filed a complaint with Delta. Her FC ticket I bought to get the empty seat was taken from her and filled. Unethical IMO.

I get take out ordering and paying for a t bone get home and it is a hot dog and the restaurant says hot dog is fine f off. basically the summary.

I fly home on Tuesday. Not sure how I will handle it if it is still going on. As of this morning I can still buy a direct flight FC on United for less than I paid for in advance delta FC ticket.
strickerj and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:48 pm

To be clear, I'm not enjoying having to defend Delta here. But people demanding compensation don't have grounds in this case IMO. Delta may issue it out of goodwill, but there is no obligation. I don't even really see refund requests based on this to be valid.

If you truly wanted to guarantee an empty seat next to you, buy one. Delta has that option.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 4, 2021 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMflier
I'm flying LGA to MIA tonight. I specifically chose DL because of the open middle seat policy and the late flight because it was showing very empty, so empty I was afraid it would be cancelled.
My flight is still going but they cancelled the afternoon LGA to MIA and middle seats on my flight are being filled. We'll see what happens tonight.
“Showing very empty” doesn’t mean anything when DL is selling basic economy tickets that don’t include advance seat assignments. That’s on you.

I’m of the view that DL absolutely owes a customer service gesture to folks who lost the empty middle seat that was heavily advertised.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
To be clear, I'm not enjoying having to defend Delta here. But people demanding compensation don't have grounds in this case IMO. Delta may issue it out of goodwill, but there is no obligation. I don't even really see refund requests based on this to be valid.

If you truly wanted to guarantee an empty seat next to you, buy one. Delta has that option.
I think you are so wrong about this... we are often paying higher fares to fly on Delta or making a connection when another carrier might have carried you nonstop. If one of the reasons why you chose to pay a higher fare or take a connection was to assure no middle seat, then Delta did not fulfill their end of the bargain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.