Delta mixed cabin boarding

Old Apr 1, 21, 7:48 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Delta mixed cabin boarding

I couldn't find a recent thread about this question, I saw some old topics but did not find a direct answer. We're traveling on December to MNL, I booked premium select tickets on Delta website, 2 hours layover in ICN, the itinerary MSP => ICN (premium select), ICN => MNL (Main cabin). Question is, when boarding in ICN do we still get the priority boarding since I purchased the premium select tickets?
SubZero28 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 21, 7:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 495
At least domestically, having one leg that is SkyPriority eligible (e.g., your Premium Select leg) will allow you to board with the SkyPriority group on any legs that aren't higher priority. I'd imagine the same holds true if you're on a Delta international flight for your connection. Not sure how it works if you're connecting with a partner airline.
SubZero28 likes this.
tardyturtle is offline  
Old Apr 1, 21, 7:35 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,757
Originally Posted by tardyturtle View Post
At least domestically, having one leg that is SkyPriority eligible (e.g., your Premium Select leg) will allow you to board with the SkyPriority group on any legs that aren't higher priority. I'd imagine the same holds true if you're on a Delta international flight for your connection. Not sure how it works if you're connecting with a partner airline.
ICN-MNL should be a KE flight. Their rules would apply.
SubZero28 likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 2, 21, 7:40 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
ICN-MNL should be a KE flight. Their rules would apply.
I checked my bookings, the ICN=>MNL leg says operated by Delta Airlines, same as the MSP=>ICN leg. Does that mean Delta rules apply and we'll get priority boarding? My return flights, first leg MNL=>ICN is operated by Korean Air, ICN=>MSP is operated by Delta.
SubZero28 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 21, 8:53 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,572
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
ICN-MNL should be a KE flight. Their rules would apply.
Originally Posted by SubZero28 View Post
I checked my bookings, the ICN=>MNL leg says operated by Delta Airlines, same as the MSP=>ICN leg. Does that mean Delta rules apply and we'll get priority boarding? My return flights, first leg MNL=>ICN is operated by Korean Air, ICN=>MSP is operated by Delta.
KE is a SkyTeam partner and all alliance members use SkyPriority standards, so I *believe* the priority coding for the entire trip should still hold. IIRC, it's done this for me in past when transferring from DL J to AF Y. I always thought it was a SkyTeam thing, not an AF thing.

All that said, unless OP has some kind of extenuating requirement, not boarding with priority is probably less of an issue on ICN-MNL. KE operates this on a 777 so there's plenty of room, OHB space, etc.
If there *IS* a reason you really need to board early, just speak with the GA and they should be able to accommodate.
SubZero28 likes this.
gooselee is offline  
Old Apr 2, 21, 9:06 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3,193
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
ICN-MNL should be a KE flight. Their rules would apply.
DL metal ICN-MNL flights are currently scheduled to resume on November 2nd (DL290/291). They actually flew the route briefly in January.
SubZero28 and MSPeconomist like this.
xliioper is online now  
Old Apr 16, 21, 3:57 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 3,847
Is this even relevant? I thought boarding was happening back to front regardless of status/class ?
FlyAO2 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 21, 4:01 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 3,193
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
Is this even relevant? I thought boarding was happening back to front regardless of status/class ?
Hopefully, they'll be back to having multiple boarding groups by December. I believe Diamonds (as well as First/Business Class) still get to board first currently.
FabCW likes this.
xliioper is online now  
Old Apr 17, 21, 5:15 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 3,847
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Hopefully, they'll be back to having multiple boarding groups by December. I believe Diamonds (as well as First/Business Class) still get to board first currently.
Whoops -- didn't notice OP was flying in December.

I thought someone on a different thread said FC doesn't get to board first unless you have status
FlyAO2 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 21, 5:39 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,719
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
Whoops -- didn't notice OP was flying in December.

I thought someone on a different thread said FC doesn't get to board first unless you have status
First still boards First. C+ however is what boards last I believe.
FabCW likes this.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Apr 17, 21, 12:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 597
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
First still boards First. C+ however is what boards last I believe.
This has been my experience recently.
dcadwell is offline  
Old Apr 17, 21, 12:41 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 3,278
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
First still boards First. C+ however is what boards last I believe.
Originally Posted by dcadwell View Post
This has been my experience recently.
Are they going back to the normal boarding process 5/1? Id assume with full flights starting back up, overhead bin space will become an issue once again so hopefully they wont reward BE pax in the back of the aircraft with the OH bin space first.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 17, 21, 12:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 597
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
Are they going back to the normal boarding process 5/1? Id assume with full flights starting back up, overhead bin space will become an issue once again so hopefully they wont reward BE pax in the back of the aircraft with the OH bin space first.
That's a great question. Haven't seen anything related to changes in the boarding process, but to be fair I haven't proactively looked for any announcements either.
dcadwell is offline  
Old Apr 17, 21, 1:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,939
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
First still boards First. C+ however is what boards last I believe.
Yes, C+ is still last, in most cases.

I always thought it was absurd that on a 757 boarding though L2 the forward rows (15-17) boarded at the end. This has a negative effect on social distancing. On my last flight to LAS the GA called those rows to board anytime after F had boarded. Do not know if this was a DL rule, or just GA who could think.

I do really hope they change the boarding rules back. C+ will become "no carry on" if they do not.
tardyturtle likes this.
exwannabe is offline  
Old Apr 18, 21, 2:06 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ANC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 988
Having taken multiple connections in ICN where I was on KE, but seated in Y, my boarding pass always reflected "Sky Priority / Sky Team Elite Plus" (as I'm PM). The KE GA's usually came through checking everyone's BP and more than once they saw the Y seat number and tried to direct to me to the "regular" line, but when I pointed to the Sky Priority/Sky Team Elite Plus wording they immediately nodded and apologized. So, the moral is if you are on a DL metal flight, DL's rules should apply. If you are on KE, then your BP will need some sort of verbiage indicating you qualify for premium boarding, otherwise I would expect the regular line.
GagaPilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: