FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta mixed cabin boarding (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2037043-delta-mixed-cabin-boarding.html)

SubZero28 Apr 1, 2021 7:48 am

Delta mixed cabin boarding

I couldn't find a recent thread about this question, I saw some old topics but did not find a direct answer. We're traveling on December to MNL, I booked premium select tickets on Delta website, 2 hours layover in ICN, the itinerary MSP => ICN (premium select), ICN => MNL (Main cabin). Question is, when boarding in ICN do we still get the priority boarding since I purchased the premium select tickets?

tardyturtle Apr 1, 2021 7:28 pm

At least domestically, having one leg that is SkyPriority eligible (e.g., your Premium Select leg) will allow you to board with the SkyPriority group on any legs that aren't higher priority. I'd imagine the same holds true if you're on a Delta international flight for your connection. Not sure how it works if you're connecting with a partner airline.

MSPeconomist Apr 1, 2021 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle (Post 33145102)
At least domestically, having one leg that is SkyPriority eligible (e.g., your Premium Select leg) will allow you to board with the SkyPriority group on any legs that aren't higher priority. I'd imagine the same holds true if you're on a Delta international flight for your connection. Not sure how it works if you're connecting with a partner airline.

ICN-MNL should be a KE flight. Their rules would apply.

SubZero28 Apr 2, 2021 7:40 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 33145115)

I checked my bookings, the ICN=>MNL leg says operated by Delta Airlines, same as the MSP=>ICN leg. Does that mean Delta rules apply and we'll get priority boarding? My return flights, first leg MNL=>ICN is operated by Korean Air, ICN=>MSP is operated by Delta.

gooselee Apr 2, 2021 8:53 am

Originally Posted by SubZero28 (Post 33146006)
I checked my bookings, the ICN=>MNL leg says operated by Delta Airlines, same as the MSP=>ICN leg. Does that mean Delta rules apply and we'll get priority boarding? My return flights, first leg MNL=>ICN is operated by Korean Air, ICN=>MSP is operated by Delta.

KE is a SkyTeam partner and all alliance members use SkyPriority standards, so I *believe* the priority coding for the entire trip should still hold. IIRC, it's done this for me in past when transferring from DL J to AF Y. I always thought it was a SkyTeam thing, not an AF thing.

All that said, unless OP has some kind of extenuating requirement, not boarding with priority is probably less of an issue on ICN-MNL. KE operates this on a 777 so there's plenty of room, OHB space, etc.
If there *IS* a reason you really need to board early, just speak with the GA and they should be able to accommodate.

xliioper Apr 2, 2021 9:06 am

DL metal ICN-MNL flights are currently scheduled to resume on November 2nd (DL290/291). They actually flew the route briefly in January.

FlyAO2 Apr 16, 2021 3:57 pm

Is this even relevant? I thought boarding was happening back to front regardless of status/class ?

xliioper Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 33182972)
Is this even relevant? I thought boarding was happening back to front regardless of status/class ?

Hopefully, they'll be back to having multiple boarding groups by December. I believe Diamonds (as well as First/Business Class) still get to board first currently.

FlyAO2 Apr 17, 2021 5:15 am

Originally Posted by xliioper (Post 33182987)
Hopefully, they'll be back to having multiple boarding groups by December. I believe Diamonds (as well as First/Business Class) still get to board first currently.

Whoops -- didn't notice OP was flying in December.

I thought someone on a different thread said FC doesn't get to board first unless you have status

flyerCO Apr 17, 2021 5:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 33183806)
Whoops -- didn't notice OP was flying in December.

I thought someone on a different thread said FC doesn't get to board first unless you have status

First still boards First. C+ however is what boards last I believe.

dcadwell Apr 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 33183825)

This has been my experience recently.

MCO Flyer Apr 17, 2021 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dcadwell (Post 33184456)
This has been my experience recently.

Are they going back to the normal boarding process 5/1? I’d assume with full flights starting back up, overhead bin space will become an issue once again so hopefully they won’t reward BE pax in the back of the aircraft with the OH bin space first.

dcadwell Apr 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 33184464)
Are they going back to the normal boarding process 5/1? I’d assume with full flights starting back up, overhead bin space will become an issue once again so hopefully they won’t reward BE pax in the back of the aircraft with the OH bin space first.

That's a great question. Haven't seen anything related to changes in the boarding process, but to be fair I haven't proactively looked for any announcements either.

exwannabe Apr 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Yes, C+ is still last, in most cases.

I always thought it was absurd that on a 757 boarding though L2 the forward rows (15-17) boarded at the end. This has a negative effect on social distancing. On my last flight to LAS the GA called those rows to board anytime after F had boarded. Do not know if this was a DL rule, or just GA who could think.

I do really hope they change the boarding rules back. C+ will become "no carry on" if they do not.

GagaPilot Apr 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Having taken multiple connections in ICN where I was on KE, but seated in Y, my boarding pass always reflected "Sky Priority / Sky Team Elite Plus" (as I'm PM). The KE GA's usually came through checking everyone's BP and more than once they saw the Y seat number and tried to direct to me to the "regular" line, but when I pointed to the Sky Priority/Sky Team Elite Plus wording they immediately nodded and apologized. So, the moral is if you are on a DL metal flight, DL's rules should apply. If you are on KE, then your BP will need some sort of verbiage indicating you qualify for premium boarding, otherwise I would expect the regular line.