Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Delta Status Accelerator - 2021/2022 Skymiles Year

Old May 10, 21, 3:44 pm

Just had my first Delta vacations package flight post and the MQDs were incorrect. They did not award them based on how it should of been. Hopefully this gets resolved by May 31st.

It awarded $378 MQD's but based on the MQM's/5 * 1.5 it should of been $756 MQD's from my understanding, so I was shorted half.

It was LGA-MSP-MIA which is why the MQMs are 3,782

Old May 10, 21, 7:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider View Post
Just had my first Delta vacations package flight post and the MQDs were incorrect. They did not award them based on how it should of been. Hopefully this gets resolved by May 31st.

It awarded $378 MQD's but based on the MQM's/5 * 1.5 it should of been $756 MQD's from my understanding, so I was shorted half.

I have several future DL Vacations booked, these were planned to maximize MQD based on the "formula" DL notes in their rules for the accelerator for DL Vacations.
It looks like they divided by10 instead of 5 (as advertised).
At least they do list D as the reward method.
They "promised" that by May 31 the full (and correct) values will be posted.
I assume that you got your "chart" from www.delta.com, see if there is any difference on their cellphone APP, for my one trip since the accelerator began the line entries on www.delta.com and the APP are different.
You note: LGA-MSP-MIA did all of that post? I assume you flew this indirect route to maximize MQs.
Old May 10, 21, 7:43 pm

I just pay for F out of my pocket for every flight. I am amused at all the hand wringing about not requalifying. I honestly hope a bunch do not requalify for diamond. I will enjoy the lounges and upgrades more. Honestly, anyone here who is so invested in DL that they could really go anywhere else is deluding themselves. DL is absolutely cashing in on their status drug with people this year.

Another point to consider is that UA has a much sweeter deal. I will probably qualify for both 1k and Diamond this year with little effort. Am I lucky? Maybe. But I also get what airlines want. They want money, and they want it now. The illusion that any airline cares about someone beyond the current spend needs to be smashed. The greatest thing I ever did was start buying F when I wanted it rather than begging for upgrades.
Old May 10, 21, 7:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
They gave themselves until May 15 to get it right, I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't call yet. I think they'll work it out in the next few days.
Flights between 4/1 and 5/15 will retroactively be credited by 5/31.
josephstern likes this.
Old May 10, 21, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I have several future DL Vacations booked, these were planned to maximize MQD based on the "formula" DL notes in their rules for the accelerator for DL Vacations.
It looks like they divided by10 instead of 5 (as advertised).
At least they do list D as the reward method.
They "promised" that by May 31 the full (and correct) values will be posted.
I assume that you got your "chart" from www.delta.com, see if there is any difference on their cellphone APP, for my one trip since the accelerator began the line entries on www.delta.com and the APP are different.
You note: LGA-MSP-MIA did all of that post? I assume you flew this indirect route to maximize MQs.
You assumed correctly that I booked this specifically trying to maximize MQDs.

Yes, the app reflects the same thing as the website.

Hoping this gets resolved by May 31st.

Please report back your experiences after your first trip.
Old May 10, 21, 8:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You assumed correctly that I booked this specifically trying to maximize MQDs.

Yes, the app reflects the same thing as the website.

Hoping this gets resolved by May 31st.

Please report back your experiences after your first trip.
My itn is JFK-LAS-JFK, 5/28-6/1, no connections. I'll report back after everything posts.
I'm sure we aren't the only two who've booked a DL Vacation; perhaps more data will appear on FT.
Old May 11, 21, 7:32 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
I just pay for F out of my pocket for every flight. I am amused at all the hand wringing about not requalifying. I honestly hope a bunch do not requalify for diamond. I will enjoy the lounges and upgrades more. Honestly, anyone here who is so invested in DL that they could really go anywhere else is deluding themselves. DL is absolutely cashing in on their status drug with people this year.

Another point to consider is that UA has a much sweeter deal. I will probably qualify for both 1k and Diamond this year with little effort. Am I lucky? Maybe. But I also get what airlines want. They want money, and they want it now. The illusion that any airline cares about someone beyond the current spend needs to be smashed. The greatest thing I ever did was start buying F when I wanted it rather than begging for upgrades.
In "normal" years (no COVID, no accelerator, possible to fly international) requalifying for DM was possible. But once I went over the DM thresholds using GUCs to upgrade (only available with status) was "cost effective".
UA has returned to JFK, but they have NO n/s itns to LAS AND their prices are higher than DL, why should I fly with them.
Old May 11, 21, 8:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

If you pay for F out of pocket every flight why do you care about upgrades?
rogo and krazykanuck like this.
Old May 11, 21, 8:17 am

I think it's MQD = Base Miles / 5 (before the Status Accelerator bonus), so $102 = 510 / 5. Base Miles are a multiple of MQMs depending on the fare class. For fare class U/T/X/V/E, Base Miles are 50% of MQMs. 1020 MQM * 50% = 510 Base Miles.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 11, 21, 8:28 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
If you pay for F out of pocket every flight why do you care about upgrades?
I don't! On a DL Vacation (hotel + air) I can buy a PS ticket between JFK and ZRH and using GUCs upgrade to D1: (1)these count as "exception" fares, (2)for some dates. the package is cheaper than just the flts.
For (1)the rt between JFK and ZRH is 7850 miles x 1.5 (PS "G" class) / 5 = $2355 MQDs, throw in the accelerator x 1.75 = $4121 MQDs--even "nicer". I can't get GUCs unless I'm DM. The DL Vacation price was $1800 and I will also get 20,000 RDMs.

Last edited by nrr; May 11, 21 at 8:49 am
Old May 11, 21, 9:15 am
Suspended

The illusion that any airline cares about someone beyond the current spend needs to be smashed.
This is what the bean counters think.

However, airlines as well as the public increasingly recognize the value of loyalty which nowadays is focused around customer lifetime value. In conference calls, it is increasingly likely that analysts call for more intense discussion of the loyalty programme because it is so profitable.

As an indication for airlines not caring about the long run, it is regularly pointed out on this forum that elite status is given out for 1 year at a time only. But that's not a sound argument! Remember how Delta renewed everyone for another year in 2020? You do know that lifetime status is a thing, right? And, most importantly, you surely are aware that many programme members accumulate frequent-flyer miles over many years?

Redemptions of those miles are meant to be positive reinforcement that drives long-run loyalty/customer lifetime value. The idea is not that you fly DL until you can redeem for an award. The idea is you work to accumulate those miles, redeem them for an award, then think "oh nice, that was really cool. Let's do it again!", and do it all over again. This idea works extremely well in practice and drives immense profits to DL.
Old May 11, 21, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by 8mh View Post
This is what the bean counters think.

However, airlines as well as the public increasingly recognize the value of loyalty which nowadays is focused around customer lifetime value. In conference calls, it is increasingly likely that analysts call for more intense discussion of the loyalty programme because it is so profitable.

As an indication for airlines not caring about the long run, it is regularly pointed out on this forum that elite status is given out for 1 year at a time only. But that's not a sound argument! Remember how Delta renewed everyone for another year in 2020? You do know that lifetime status is a thing, right? And, most importantly, you surely are aware that many programme members accumulate frequent-flyer miles over many years?

Redemptions of those miles are meant to be positive reinforcement that drives long-run loyalty/customer lifetime value. The idea is not that you fly DL until you can redeem for an award. The idea is you work to accumulate those miles, redeem them for an award, then think "oh nice, that was really cool. Let's do it again!", and do it all over again. This idea works extremely well in practice and drives immense profits to DL.
Then why not extend again this year? If loyalty is what airlines seek to maximize then it would only make sense to give away any perks that come with status one more year to ensure that people remain loyal.

Of course that is nonsense. Airlines seek to maximize profits. to the extent they can pretend they care about customers they will of course pay lip service to that. All of their actions are contrary though. I have held elite status on all three major US airlines over the last two years and they all have one thing in common. They all stop caring once the money stops. When I elected to stop flying AA they didn't shower me with anything because I stopped spending. They showed me the door (and rightly so). Covid exposed this status nonsense for what it is - a giant scam to get us to think we are special and that spending just a bit more money will make us more special.

A relatively easy metric to see just how special status is would be to look at how many people hold status on the airline when they live in another carrier's hub city. How many Chicago, Dallas, or Denver diamonds are there? I would bet there is very small number. If DL status was to reward loyalty then shouldn't it be enough to get people to invest outside of their primary markets? Inside the primary market upgrades are super difficult to get and often require spending a great deal of money (or just buying up to F). Still, people fly them out of convenience.

DL even controls when you can use the perks of status. If they have plenty of people buying F there won't be too many upgrades available for elites. DL even said themselves they are monetizing these things to maximize profits. Of course DL doesn't want to lose profitable customers, but they also don't want to spend more than they have to to keep them. If you live in ATL, DTW, SLC, MSP, or NYC who else is there to fly regularly? Why give these people anything - they will fly DL because there is no choice.

The concept that people think DL will give people something for nothing proves P.T. Barnum correct.
Old May 11, 21, 1:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta PM

Another point to consider is that UA has a much sweeter deal..
Being a United flyer where I live involves higher ticket prices, irregularly scheduled regional jets that connect through Houston to get anywhere and consequently going well out of the way for my quarterly family visit trips. Iíve got a nice stash of United miles for a future Japan trip because their business class redemptions are such a better deal than Deltaís at this point but just canít get excited about a paid ticket with them.
Old May 11, 21, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, DL Silver
I have a question regarding the 2021-only(?) benefit of allowing award tickets to qualify for MQM (at an accelerated rate at that!).

My wife has accumulated a stash of SkyMiles, and some of them may be used for tickets where I am the passenger. I understand that Delta's typical SkyMiles policy is that the person who does the flying, not the person buying the ticket, is the one who earns the SkyMiles from a given ticket/flight. My question is: can anyone confirm that this is also the case for award tickets being awarded MQMs this year? If some of her SkyMiles are used for award tickets where I am the passenger, will I still earn MQM's off of them?

Thanks in advance for any guidance or experience you can provide!
Old May 11, 21, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Then why not extend again this year? If loyalty is what airlines seek to maximize then it would only make sense to give away any perks that come with status one more year to ensure that people remain loyal.

Of course that is nonsense. Airlines seek to maximize profits.
Yeah, if you read my post, I wrote that airlines seek to maximize profits. They maximize profits by changing people's behavior.

And it's not a linear "you give me a dollar, I give you 5c rebated back through the programme". They are in it for the long run. Approximately, it costs the airline 5x as much to find a new profitable customer as it costs to retain an existing one. That's a rule of thumb often given for airlines and their loyalty programme.

Airlines provide positive reinforcement in various ways: through published status benefits, flight awards, goodwill gestures for valuable customers, occasional unique benefits etc. In all these forms, I see things that aim beyond the very short-term horizon you seem to have in mind.

And just because you drop in status after a year if you fail to hold up your end of the bargain does not mean they don't care about the long run. Part of that is negative reinforcement. In fact, the fear of losing status is a powerful motivator and people spend large resources to meet the requalification bar. After all, "mileage running", flying in higher cabin class than usually desired and such are ubiquitous on FT.

Ultimately, though, there are some instances where the airline seems to "give up" about customers. But even in that case, it doesn't follow they are in it just for their immediate profit. They do re-evaluate the value of a customer. If they think you are less important from a corporate perspective and/or less affluent and/or less frequent-flying and/or too budget-conscious, they might lose interest and stop sending you targeted offers or whatever. Lastly and trivially, if you completely stop engaging with the brand by not flying them, cancelling co-branded cards and so on, they simply might not have a practical way to reach you.

EDIT: Every airline has its been counters which take that purely transaction perspective you propose. Although I believe, the other parties are increasingly getting heard when 1/3 of all profits come directly from the loyalty programme.

Search this Thread