Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation Thread: Will delta change status policies for 2022 status year (Closed )

Speculation Thread: Will delta change status policies for 2022 status year (Closed )

Old Mar 22, 21, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
My gut feeling is they will eliminate the MQD requirements and if needed have a double MQMs promo if needed. I can travel today, but doubt I will go International this year, as you mentioned too many rules in place. My fear is 6 months of weekly domestic travel, I will not have the MQDs. I have tons of MQMs from rollover
I can see them dropping the requirement in half but not eliminating. Delta is in bed with Am Ex and that will discourage people from trying to get the fee waiver that way.
Old Mar 22, 21, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
My gut feeling is they will eliminate the MQD requirements and if needed have a double MQMs promo if needed. I can travel today, but doubt I will go International this year, as you mentioned too many rules in place. My fear is 6 months of weekly domestic travel, I will not have the MQDs. I have tons of MQMs from rollover
I don't see why they would run a MQM promo when they rolled over everyone's MQMs from last year.

I doubt they would completely eliminate MQDs -- I'm on record as speculating (with no justification whatsoever ) that they'll reduce MQD requirements by, say, 20-25%. Or they might have a bonus MQD promo (not MQMs) similar to what UA did for Q1 for their PQPs (which are essentially the same as MQDs).
Old Mar 22, 21, 11:08 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: DM 3.5MM, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I don't see why they would run a MQM promo when they rolled over everyone's MQMs from last year.

I doubt they would completely eliminate MQDs -- I'm on record as speculating (with no justification whatsoever ) that they'll reduce MQD requirements by, say, 20-25%. Or they might have a bonus MQD promo (not MQMs) similar to what UA did for Q1 for their PQPs (which are essentially the same as MQDs).
If you assume that travel will return by July, DL should reduce the MQD requirements by 50% since you only have 6 month to reach their $$ spend requirements which are typically to be archived in a full year. Since international travel will still be restricted way into Q3, reducing MQDs even further should not be off the table.
Randeman likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Christefan View Post
If you assume that travel will return by July, DL should reduce the MQD requirements by 50% since you only have 6 month to reach their $$ spend requirements which are typically to be archived in a full year. Since international travel will still be restricted way into Q3, reducing MQDs even further should not be off the table.
Not only MQD, but MQM also,
Most intl travel are stop from last year February. I did not think it (intl borader)) will reopen before the end of the summer (Japan Olympic are already close to foreign visitors).
I expect a cut of 50% (if not 60%) of all requirements (MQD, MQM, MQS).

The rollover will be to "compensate" for 2020, and the 50% cut for 2021.

I will also support a cut of 50% for the choice benefits, and full choice benefit for the one who reach the status with normal way.
Old Mar 22, 21, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA PM; AA 1MM
It will be interesting to see how DL (/AA/US) approach this. There is currently an uptick in advance bookings, will that continue or will new variants start spreading? It's unknown at this point (though I'm hopeful we are finally on the upswing against COVID).

I'll have by MQMs to requalify for Plat by June (including my rollover from Jan/Feb 2020) and I qualify for MQD by AMEX waiver, so it doesn't really impact me. However, it only seems logical that an MQD allowance, at a minimum, should be considered.

DL is a business and they don't want their HVC feeling tempted by other airlines, even if the HVC weren't HVC during the pandemic.
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Christefan View Post
I don’t expect most traditional business travel to start returning until late summer/early fall (August/September timeframe). Right now most airlines are putting all their attention towards leisure traffic for the summer in regards to route planning as most large corporations still have travel bans through August/September. I think as we get towards the end of summer and leisure travel begins to die back down, the airlines will shift their focus back towards business travels to lure them back. For most people, Medallion status isn’t earned from leisure travel and business travel is needed to qualify for it and with that not looking likely to return in a significant manor until late Q3 at the earliest, I think they might need to extend everyone’s status again.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
I donít expect most traditional business travel to start returning until late summer/early fall (August/September timeframe).
I don't think any airline globally is expecting a full return to 2019 business travel volumes for years if ever.
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I don't think any airline globally is expecting a full return to 2019 business travel volumes for years if ever.
I agree but I meant a return to it in some way/shape.
Old Mar 22, 21, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
DL is a business and they don't want their HVC feeling tempted by other airlines, even if the HVC weren't HVC during the pandemic.
They aren't proving it with the cuts in first class service. Their First Class fares are as high, if not higher, than pre-covid and their competition is offering a better product.

There's a couple people posting in the thread about the covid cuts about taking other airlines now because of a lot better service. Myself and at least one other person have flights booked on Spirit because a big front seat is cheaper than Delta coach and you have food and beverage options and a more comfortable seat.
emrdoc and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 3:41 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
They aren't proving it with the cuts in first class service. Their First Class fares are as high, if not higher, than pre-covid and their competition is offering a better product.

There's a couple people posting in the thread about the covid cuts about taking other airlines now because of a lot better service. Myself and at least one other person have flights booked on Spirit because a big front seat is cheaper than Delta coach and you have food and beverage options and a more comfortable seat.
Totally agree, DL needs to have a competitive product before they start marketing to HVCs. If Delta provides a better schedule with higher cost, then I am booking with DL on FC. If DL is more expensive in FC, and the schedule is similar, I am booking with another airline. Redeye flights are a no brainer, it is going to be with another airline as the competitors are offering lie flat seats, while DL usually flies 757 domestic recliners.

Circling back to the original question, if Delta is cost cutting to save money on soft products, I doubt they will want to spend more money on extending elite members. They rather sell the seat, rather than upgrade people for free.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Ironically, I came closer to making Diamond last year with my 4 international trips for personal reasons than I am likely to come this year. I actually do have international trips planned but they are all with miles (either Pay with Miles or award tickets). I'm a salesman and at the moment being able to travel to see customers seems like a distant dream, first of all because of corporate policy. Even if we were allowed to travel, most of my potential customers don't want to meet. And even if they did, where would we meet? I hate to say this because I really do believe that face to face is best, but at the moment, I can't see business travel resuming as it was for quite some time, even though I personally have no issues with traveling and meeting people (safely of course).
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
Myself and at least one other person have flights booked on Spirit because a big front seat is cheaper than Delta coach and you have food and beverage options and a more comfortable seat.
That was me! Two DL DMs picking Spirit...oh boy...but I can frequently reach Spirit faster on the phone (not that I need to often, but they reply to texts just as fast, and I was really, really impressed with the high quality of service they provided from their new call center in Durban, SA. Had a great chat with the agent about SA and their currency, the Rand!)

Yes, their Customer Service isnít generally as good; but they still have a Twitter team, and, do you actually expect any Customer Service on <$50 fares? The point being, they exceed expectations set for them. DL, meanwhile, is the opposite at the moment.

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer View Post
Circling back to the original question, if Delta is cost cutting to save money on soft products, I doubt they will want to spend more money on extending elite members. They rather sell the seat, rather than upgrade people for free.
Upgrading an elite member, and selling a premium seat, are not mutually exclusive.

There is no marginal cost to DL to upgrading elites. This is why they donít even bring clearing until 5 days before departure, but are frequently held until the gate.

The loyalty program usually increases revenue and margin - Amex revenue notwithstanding - whereas cutting service levels results in a tangible decrease in their expenses now.

Donít forget of all the times the system processes an upgrade to an empty F cabin to be able to sell a full Y seat in the back on a pretty full flight.
Spiff, krazykanuck and emrdoc like this.
Old Mar 23, 21, 8:30 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
The fact that we have 2 DMs extolling the benefits of Spirit FC over Delta is sign #324 that we are truly in the end of days For me right now that is the proverbial bridge too far. Im with delta until i hang it up in about 12 years.
Dave737 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 23, 21, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
The fact that we have 2 DMs extolling the benefits of Spirit FC over Delta is sign #324 that we are truly in the end of days For me right now that is the proverbial bridge too far. Im with delta until i hang it up in about 12 years.
Did you mean apocalypse will be soon... If yes, I will try to use my miles, Ecredit & GUC quickly...
Ryno1234, Dave737 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 23, 21, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Ryno1234 View Post
I tried Spirit once to save a few bucks. They cancelled my flight for no reason at the last minute so I had to book a very expensive last minute DL ticket. Never again.
drminn and Ryno1234 like this.

Search this Thread