Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation Thread: Will delta change status policies for 2022 status year (Closed )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation Thread: Will delta change status policies for 2022 status year (Closed )

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Even if it does extend status, Delta need to focus on bringing new folks into the fold. The modern business/leisure frequent travelers who will be the core customer base in the future.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I started the thread "DL to Extend Status to Feb-2022 due to COVID 19" in the form of a plausible question last March (title changed by mods to reflect the outcome). DL and the other carriers made the logical move and extended status through early 2022.

But here we are entering February, 2021 and sadly Covid is still raging with widespread vaccine rollout, by some estimates, not being done until at least Autumn in the US. Constant Covid-free air travel for most people is not considered feasible for many months. The US President has just ordered self-quarantine for those flying from abroad which further limits the plausibility for international air travel for many people. Government officials are exploring mandatory Covid testing before any flight.

For international travel, the Acting Assistant Secretary of State said, “[the] main message to U.S. citizens considering travel abroad remains the same: Seriously reconsider going overseas right now. If you’re overseas right now, it’s going to be harder to come home for a while.”

The cold reality being is we cannot travel as much by air as we did in 2019 or perhaps not at all this year. I don't have the stats, but retaining status in 2021 will be literally impossible for a huge amount of elites even with the MQM rollovers (reminder that MQD's returned to zero on January 1).

So here is a perfectly sensible question: Will Delta extend again current elite statues for another year?
I predict that vaccine rollout will speed up considerably and that travel will start to get back to normal by the summer. It should be noted that nothing has changed to make travel less accessible. It's as safe as it was last year. What has changed is the increased regulation such as testing and quarantine, which I don't believe are both necessary. Testing should negate the need for quarantine and let's hope there is no requirement for testing on domestic flights as flying has shown itself to be very safe even during COVID.

I do hope that Delta will modify requirements, specifically reducing the MQD and MQD waiver requirements for re-qualifying Diamond members.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Even if it does extend status, Delta need to focus on bringing new folks into the fold. The modern business/leisure frequent travelers who will be the core customer base in the future.
Key is that they spend. PRASM is what matters and that doesn't happen through BE. Whether business or leisure, it is people spending on D1 / F who can guide long-term survival.

This is not to suggest that it is all binary. Simply that the focus has to be on the long-term and not on surviving as it is today.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
What has changed is the increased regulation such as testing and quarantine, which I don't believe are both necessary. Testing should negate the need for quarantine and let's hope there is no requirement for testing on domestic flights as flying has shown itself to be very safe even during COVID..
While one can debate relative risk (if spread is hugely endemic in the overall population, treating travelers differently may not make much sense) but testing and quarantine go hand-in-hand. PCR tests take too long to get results, and rapid antigen tests are not super reliable (and they are wrong in the worst way: they can create both false positives and false negatives). They're risk reduction meant to catch 70% of cases, not 100%. Quarantine covers the 15-30% of cases that are not caught (and vice versa.. quarantine is not perfect; people cheat, and even getting to a quarantine location can create exposure).

International travel is going to continue to suffer hard. For developed countries, we may see travel pathways with vaccination-only requirements if both countries have very low endemic case loads. But the issue is going to be that the pandemic is going to continue to rage in emerging countries as vaccine distributions will be low there. There will be huge fear of vaccine-resistant strain propagation (e.g., South African variant). As countries get to virtually eliminated local spread at high rates of vaccination, they may even double down on inbound restrictions if there is evidence of increased vaccine resistant strains.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
I've booked a lot of my travel - just under half? - for the coming year, since all of the early bookings are at rock-bottom prices with almost guaranteed scheduled changes. MQDs are going to be tough for me.

I'm expecting lowered, but not waived, requirements OR a big promo in Q3 and Q4, assuming the virus is under control by then. This big question I have is, if DL decides to go with a promo, whether they include flights booked and flown before the promo period or all flights flown during the promo period.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ekozie
I've booked a lot of my travel - just under half? - for the coming year, since all of the early bookings are at rock-bottom prices with almost guaranteed scheduled changes. MQDs are going to be tough for me.
Yes, I'm not flying but looking at the routes I used to fly - without corp discounts, the route I fly would be $1300-1400 r/t. I hit around $40-45K in spend in 2019. Same routes this year are going for $500-600 without corporate discounts, even less with. Even if I was traveling the same routes with same advanced booking, I'd barely squeak by MQD target this year.

Somethings gotta give on the MQD target. But again, Delta will provide steer once they have more data.
ekozie likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rogo
There is zero chance of April.

Very logical conclusions however.

Losing 90% of Diamonds isn't in Delta's interest. With current requirements, they would lose 90% of Diamonds.
However, DL would keep 100% of their DMs with foreign addresses due to their MQD waivers. If they're flying, they're more likely than ever to be flying on partners rather than DL since almost all DL operated flights have either origin or destination in the USA and it's very difficult for anyone who isn't a USA citizen or USA resident to enter or transit through the USA. The only subgroup that might be flying longhaul DL flights would be USA citizens who are overseas residents, and even this can be almost impossible for those who are resident in many countries.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 10:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, DL would keep 100% of their DMs with foreign addresses due to their MQD waivers. If they're flying, they're more likely than ever to be flying on partners rather than DL since almost all DL operated flights have either origin or destination in the USA and it's very difficult for anyone who isn't a USA citizen or USA resident to enter or transit through the USA. The only subgroup that might be flying longhaul DL flights would be USA citizens who are overseas residents, and even this can be almost impossible for those who are resident in many countries.
This is true for those who are based in Europe or some places in Asia. However, those of us who have a foreign address and travel frequently from/to South America and the Caribbean aren't affected at all by US entry regulations as long as we have a negative test.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
I organically qualified for PM in 2020 and rolled over just short of 100k MQMs, so am PM thru Jan 2022. I have yet to fly this year so have $0.00 MQDs and have not hit the AMEX spend threshold. I looked at account on delta.com and it is showing me as qualifying for SM thru Jan 2023 (year 2022) along with spend messaging on what is needed to move to GM. Not sure if this is a known bug or perhaps a preview of what delta might be thinking for status 'extension' for 2022. Not a full extension but perhaps a lower medallion level based upon MQMs only? Just speculation on my part based up what I see in my account only.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by passmf
I organically qualified for PM in 2020 and rolled over just short of 100k MQMs, so am PM thru Jan 2022. I have yet to fly this year so have $0.00 MQDs and have not hit the AMEX spend threshold. I looked at account on delta.com and it is showing me as qualifying for SM thru Jan 2023 (year 2022) along with spend messaging on what is needed to move to GM. Not sure if this is a known bug or perhaps a preview of what delta might be thinking for status 'extension' for 2022. Not a full extension but perhaps a lower medallion level based upon MQMs only? Just speculation on my part based up what I see in my account only.
It's not a "bug" - just somewhat confusing in the way it displays. I'm pretty similar - I am sitting at 85K MQMs so once I hit the AmEx waiver, I'll be a PM. But what it's display right now, since I have not hit the MQDs for at least FO nor the AmEx waiver, DL.com is saying I have to complete one (either MQDs or the waiver) to reach Silver, since that is the first level one would reach. Of course if you hit the AmEx waiver before the MQDs, you will go right past FO and GM and straight to PM since the FO/GM/PM AmEx waiver is all the same (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying in which case it may be something wonky).

ETA: CGNC below noted your 1 MM status - that is probably why it already shows you as having Silver.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 1, 2021 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by passmf
Might this be recognition of your 1MM status and the fact you'll 'always' have SM? I see the same and always assumed this was the reason.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
Ugghh, sorry totally forgot the 1MM!
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On the DL app, I now see GM status for 2022 (due to 2MM) and the bars show what's required for PM. This changed within the last 24 hours. In January, it just indicated that I would be a general member for 2022, with bars displaying requirements for FO status. I'll hit the MQD waiver soon and based on past experience, it will change me to PM for 2022 within about a day.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I have always considered the 250K Amex spend required to make DM over the top steep anyway. Putting the spend required at 75K or 100K would have been much more in line with reality back 3 years ago when the change was made.
I am able to do the $250K spend due to some huge charges I have in January and February. Makes me mad I did it last year because in March covid and didn't need the spend and could have put that $250K on another card that provided a lot more benefits than 250K skypesos. I have the spend in already this year and am worried Delta will extend status again.
At least I'm closer to my next million mile cornerstone
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
No need to extend status. Reward those of us who are travelling now, not those who used to travel. The entire economy has changed. The old business travel scene is dead. Many of those folks will never come back.
Or at least award those people who still reach the status anyway. I would be diamond for this year even without the waiver. Would be nice if they would have given me something like a couple more GU's or another benefit. Or allowed people who had their status to keep it another year for upgrade and seat preference purposes but only given the choice benefits to people who maintened the status through MQM's and spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.