Search

Delta One Suites comfort level

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Delta One Suites comfort level

Hello everyone,

I have been squirreling away Skymiles points for the past two years, and am thinking about using them for a 2022 trip from JFK to CDG. I have enough miles to fully cover the cost of a pair of Comfort+ seats, or make a dent into Delta One Suites.
Pre-pandemic, I did this same route in Comfort+ and it was ok, but I've never flown First Class in my 60 years on this planet, and I'd love to experience it at least once.

My issue is the comfort level of Delta One. Looking at photos and reading reviews of the seats, they look very cramped. My trusty husband traveling companion is a big guy, 6'0, 250 lbs. Are the seats tight, would he be uncomfortable? While Comfort+ isn't exactly roomy, we could at least sit next to each other and it gave him a little extra room. In the end, he had no complaints about those seats.

I just don't want to waste the money for something that doesn't work for us. I appreciate your thoughts.

Trish
rogo and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to Flyertalk Trish.

IMO, D1 Suites are nothing special. The seats are indeed a little cramped, too firm and not very comfortable for sleeping. They are basic Business Class seats with the gimmick of a door. They are not First Class or even close to First Class. If you are trying to use Sky Miles for Business or Premium Economy, I'd suggest Air France JFK-CDG non-stops. Better seats, better food, better service.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
You're probably looking at an A330-300. Having just flown one to Cancun up front a few weeks ago and as someone roughly the same size as your husband, it's definitely better but the comfort difference won't blow you away. I had trouble fully extending flat as I my feet just won't fit completely in the cubby hole Delta's 330 have. If it were a newer 767-400 or A350 the story might be a little different. I'd say do it if the points/ cost isn't a crazy amount more than Comfort. Otherwise save it for the trip.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that the D1 seats in the A330-300 are not actually "suites". Only the A330-900neos, A359s, and refurbed 764s have the suites.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LadyWrites
Hello everyone,

I have been squirreling away Skymiles points for the past two years, and am thinking about using them for a 2022 trip from JFK to CDG. I have enough miles to fully cover the cost of a pair of Comfort+ seats, or make a dent into Delta One Suites.
Pre-pandemic, I did this same route in Comfort+ and it was ok, but I've never flown First Class in my 60 years on this planet, and I'd love to experience it at least once.

My issue is the comfort level of Delta One. Looking at photos and reading reviews of the seats, they look very cramped. My trusty husband traveling companion is a big guy, 6'0, 250 lbs. Are the seats tight, would he be uncomfortable? While Comfort+ isn't exactly roomy, we could at least sit next to each other and it gave him a little extra room. In the end, he had no complaints about those seats.

I just don't want to waste the money for something that doesn't work for us. I appreciate your thoughts.

Trish
I think your husband will find the suites to be plenty comfortable. If space is a concern, consider booking Row 1, where footwell sizes are slightly more generous.

The A350 suites are the best with quite a bit of space; the A330-900neo suites are slightly smaller but are still well designed. As someone who's 6'2, I find both to be perfectly comfortable.

The A330-200/A330-300 seats are not suites, but they're a great alternative particularly for tall people - the seats are nice and long and have quite generous space. Some people actually prefer them.

I'd steer you away from the 767 - those seats can feel somewhat restrictive for tall/larger folks, even on the renovated 767-400.
DeltaFan4Now likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
None of the flat beds are good when they refuse to provide the pillows and comforters
​​​
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I’m similar sized. The Delta One seats on the Airbus will be reasonably comfortable. The older the 767s will be tight. Row 1 helps make them more tolerable, but that’s about it.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Hello everyone,

Trish
Hi Trish & welcome! What a polite post. I am happy to reply to it.

I am the same height and used to weight the same (or more) before the pandemic. I was always more comfortable in any Delta One seat then Comfort Plus.

Of course, this depends on also getting the pillow, comforter, and higher service levels - some of which may be suspended now, but hopefully will resume later this year.

Also, you should consider flying from anywhere in Mexico to Europe. There are many flash sales from the US to Mexico for very low miles in coach & comfort plus.

And Mexico to Europe in Delta One is only 65,000 miles one way. This might let you try Delta One while also saving about half the miles (and you can even check out the city in Mexico for a night or longer!)

Originally Posted by SFO777
Welcome to Flyertalk Trish.

IMO, D1 Suites are nothing special. The seats are indeed a little cramped, too firm and not very comfortable for sleeping. They are basic Business Class seats with the gimmick of a door. They are not First Class or even close to First Class. If you are trying to use Sky Miles for Business or Premium Economy, I'd suggest Air France JFK-CDG non-stops. Better seats, better food, better service.
Delta One seats in row 1 have the widest foot space and are quite comfortable.

Correct, it’s no La Premiere. Having said that, I would not wish AF Premium Economy on my worst enemy. Terrible seats that don’t actually recline and a waste of extra miles.

AF’s business class on the 777 uses the same seat as Delta on the 330. Just covered in black fabric instead of blue faux leather...

Originally Posted by p100a
None of the flat beds are good when they refuse to provide the pillows and comforters
​​​
They really have suspended the Westin Heavenly pillow & comforter on international D1 routes still? As a policy? If so, ugh...
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Reserve
Thank you all so much for this very helpful information! You've given me a lot to think about.

I think I'm confused about the difference Between Delta One and Delta One Suites. Is the difference a short half wall for the Suites, and more open for Delta One? Looking at photos, the terms almost seem to be used interchangeably.

Thanks again,

Trish
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Thank you all so much for this very helpful information! You've given me a lot to think about.

I think I'm confused about the difference Between Delta One and Delta One Suites. Is the difference a short half wall for the Suites, and more open for Delta One? Looking at photos, the terms almost seem to be used interchangeably.

Thanks again,

Trish
You are correct. "Suites" is just the Delta marketing term the the Delta One seats that have the sliding door. So Delta One could refer to all widebody planes that would be found on routes across the Atlantic, while anything that says 'suites' would be specifically the A350 or the A330-900neo.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Thanks again,

Trish
Hi again Trish!

The primary difference is the sliding door. But there are other differences:

*Delta One Suites seats have memory foam padding in the seats, whereas Delta One seats just have “padding”. I find the Suites padding to be more comfortable.

*Delta One Suites have a much larger, and better quality, tv screen. Like double the size of the old ones. And you can use the TV for the entire flight because it doesn’t fold into the seat, whereas the older seats have this folding mechanism and require storage of the screen for takeoff and landing.

*Everything else in a Suites seat will be newer - from the light sconce to the seat controls to the faux marble countertop.
FabCW likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even Suites vs. non-Suites, there is variability across Delta's fleet, as others have alluded to.
I think your husband will not be happy in the 767-300s. Even with the extra footroom in row 1, they're narrow at the shoulder (he will probably have a hard time lying on his back).
Not sure how much better the 767-400s are, I haven't been on the new seats.
The A330-200/300s will be fine. Note I'm pretty sure there is no difference in footwell in the front row on this aircraft.
I also can't speak specifically to the A330-neos or A350, although the latter is very likely fine, the former might be a little tighter.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

They really have suspended the Westin Heavenly pillow & comforter on international D1 routes still? As a policy? If so, ugh...
No,I had them on AMS-ATL last month on the A350 in J.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

D1 suites HNL-MSP last week had quilt and pillow along with full dinner, breakfast and bar service.
DeltaFan4Now and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
If OP @LadyWrites has never flown business class before, I'd totally say it's worth going for it! A lie flat is very different from a seat, and there's also a huge difference in service. In terms of comfort, almost any business class will be more comfortable than Comfort+. The discussions on footwells etc are relevant when comparing with other business classes. It's certainly the right start for a holiday.

You can book Air France with your Delta miles, and I agree that will make the trip even more special if available. Food and in-flight service are better.

If you need a Delta miles top-up, see if a credit card sign up bonus can help you get there. You can open a Delta Amex or any Amex card that accrues Membership Rewards points, as the latter can be transferred to Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.