Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High price, many seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

High price, many seats

Looking to book ATL-ABQ Memorial Day weekend. There are two non stops per day. The morning flights has reasonable fare and award miles. The afternoon flight so almost all seats available, both fare and award miles are twice as much as morning flight both Thursday and Friday. Any ideas why this might be? Are they trying force folks to morning flight so they can drop evening flight?

Award at 97,000 miles and just about all main cabin seats available.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Holiday weekend. DL knows the flights will likely be very full. No need to discount anything at this point.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
It is also possible they are considering dropping the flight OR have sold a bunch of tickets that don’t allow advance seat selection. But it’s probably just good revenue management as SFO 777 suggests.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The seat map does not mean much about the actual passenger load.

If indeed those seats are not sold and DL cannot sell them closer in, it will open lower fare buckets. But, no reason to do that yet. People booking this far out are generally set on their dates and will thus pay the higher price.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Adding to what everyone else has said, there's been an _immense_ amount of interest in new bookings over the last week or so as it becomes apparent ample vaccine supplies will be available for all. That's had a direct impact on airline pricing, as people are ready to spend their vouchers whatever-the-cost and airlines are reaping the revenue as a result.

I think this situation will probably be the 'new normal' through the summer... possibly through the rest of 2021. We'll see lots of last minute deals as airlines try to fill unsold seats and encourage business travelers back on the road, but not a lot of advance sales, especially to leisure destinations.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I’m guessing the afternoon flight was just loaded today (schedules are updated on Saturdays). With new flights, they seem to initially load with only the top few inventory classes available, thereby making it very pricey.

Give it a few days and check back again.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I’m guessing the afternoon flight was just loaded today (schedules are updated on Saturdays). With new flights, they seem to initially load with only the top few inventory classes available, thereby making it very pricey.

This. Looks to be an addition to the May schedule which starts May 5th. There's only Y bucket currently open for every single flight in May (it's not unique to Memorial Day weekend). Give it a few days for lower fare buckets to open up.
BenA and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa

Good call, I didn't even think about this possibility. Yes, if you see everything booking into Y, B or M class, this is likely the explanation. The new BGR flights they added a week ago took about a week to settle down before they were bookable at normal pricing.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Have you tried skiplag?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Have you tried skiplag?
That won't help with ATL-ABQ as DL doesn't have any fares which allow connections through ABQ. At any rate, a quick google flights search shows that they have now opened inventory in the lower fare buckets on this flight as had been predicted in earlier posts. Problem solved.
NWplatinum and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:15 pm

All carriers have been loading their full schedule with usual pricing when they initially post their schedules, then appear to be adjusting the actual schedules (and pricing) about 45 days out to match the actual conditions at the time. (Each carrier is handling this slightly differently, but that's the general trend.)

So, you're seeing a Memorial Day weekend load from way back that's yet to be "COVID-adjusted".

I wouldn't book anything for Memorial Day (unless you don't mind booking now and getting a credit if the fare drops) until about April 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.