Upgrade to F for 9,900 Miles?

Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Upgrade to F for 9,900 Miles?

Just getting back to flying after a year off for pandemic.

Booked LGA-MCO in June and saw that an upgrade to F was available for 9,900 miles each way, per person.

We have Gold status. I don't remember any upgrades in the past for that few miles. The flights are almost empty at this time.

Advice? Lock in the upgrade or wait and hope for a free one later?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mileage price is just the cash price (less taxes) converted to miles at the rate of 1 CPM. You can generally get somewhat better value from miles than 1 CPM on award flights (typically 1.2 - 1.3 domestically). Although award flights don't earn MQMs which can also be a consideration if you care about MQMs. The nominal fare difference from cheapest main cabin in June ($103.40 TAVNA0MF T fare) and FC is $140 one-way ($243.40 TAUNA0FE Z fare). Although the difference can potentially be less depending on bucket availability. So the upgrade price is somewhat better than you would typically see at time of purchase (which is just the fare difference), but not spectacularly so.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 24, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
How far out? Travel will continue to open back up as vaccination accelerates so if we're talking October/November maybe lock it in, if we're talking next week might be worth the gamble.

How empty is it in Y? Honestly based on the reports of DL F service (haven't flown since the pandemic started so just going by what is reported here) if you've got the whole row to yourself and not much risk of losing that, I don't think it's worth anything to move up to F.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
So far, Delta hasnt extended seat blocking out past April. It sounds like you are traveling with a companion? If they had extended seat blocking, Id say roll the dice and be happy settle for a whole row to yourselves in C+ since service in F isnt all that these days, but they havent indicated that they are extending blocking any further.

The June schedule has not yet been finalized, so your flights have a good chance of changing (including consolidation of flights, which might lead to the flight being more full).

My anecdotal experience has been that travel has been picking up, and with a third of adults having received their first dose of the vaccine, travel may be up further in June.

$90 worth of SkyPesos isnt a bad price for that route, but since we dont know what Delta First will look like in June, I wouldnt pay for upgrades right now. OTOH, with devaluation, maybe its time to cash out!
Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
How far out? Travel will continue to open back up as vaccination accelerates so if we're talking October/November maybe lock it in, if we're talking next week might be worth the gamble.

How empty is it in Y? Honestly based on the reports of DL F service (haven't flown since the pandemic started so just going by what is reported here) if you've got the whole row to yourself and not much risk of losing that, I don't think it's worth anything to move up to F.
Flight is in early June and the seat map shows almost a totally empty flight.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tardyturtle

$90 worth of SkyPesos isnt a bad price for that route, but since we dont know what Delta First will look like in June, I wouldnt pay for upgrades right now. OTOH, with devaluation, maybe its time to cash out!
We have an abundance of SkyPesos which we will be burning as soon as we can. My guess is that the F upgrade will increase in price as the plane begins to fill.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yogimax
We have an abundance of SkyPesos which we will be burning as soon as we can. My guess is that the F upgrade will increase in price as the plane begins to fill.
It will either go up or disappear, so if you want to secure a seat in F, go for it. 9,900 for a 2hr flight is a great deal imho.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.