Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for MSP:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 35 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 15 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)
I-I: 1 hour 15 minutes (35 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance)

Generic online and offline connection times:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 40 minutes
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour

Between DL and another carrier: 3 hours 30 minutes
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat

Hello everyone

I managed to redeem ORD-MSP-LAX-TPE-KUL and back using NW and MH. I am still trying to snag the KUL-SIN segment so if I get it I will have to pay another $50 to change the flight.

However, another worry I have is the connection times at MSP. I arrive at MSP at 8.20pm on Feb 7th and my flight to LAX leaves at 8.55pm. Do you think that is too close of a connection? I could always arrive earlier and hang out at the MSP lounge? I am worried because I believe that is the last flight to LAX and if I do not get it, my whole trip would be screwed up and during winter season you never know what's going to happen.

Also because if I manage to snag the KUL-SIN they will charge me $50 anyways

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:10 pm

One 20 minute takeoff line in ORD, or 2 turns in holding at MSP could ruin your trip. With as many flights a day as there are ORD-MSP, I'd move up a flight or two and spend the extra hour or two relaxing....
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
The three times I've had ~ 30 min. connections at MSP I've found myself sprinting across the airport to catch my connecting flight. Admittedly my experience is a pretty small sample, but I'd be very wary of that itinerary.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I will change it when the KUL-SIN availability comes up.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:17 pm

http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/MSP.shtml provides a MSP terminal distance diagram (in minutes of walk). Note that the distances are indicated with the use of moving walkways.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:22 pm

I agree with the above caution. Your flight (February 7) is on a Saturday, and the moving walkways at MSP are notoriously unreliable on weekends. Breakdowns are not repaired rapidly, and I suspect maintenance is also done on week ends. During a recent weekend transfer there, four out of six of my moving walkways were not moving!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Couple hours in the lounge in MSP beats missed flight due to mechanical or the elements (snow, etc.). Leverage what buffers you can build into your trip and be more relaxed. Have a good trip.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indo79:
[B]Hello everyone

I managed to redeem ORD-MSP-LAX-TPE-KUL and back using NW and MH. I am still trying to snag the KUL-SIN segment so if I get it I will have to pay another $50 to change the flight.</font>
Hello indo79.

I wouldn't even bother trying for the KUL-SIN award. You can get seats really cheaply...not much more than 50 bucks. And if you want a real adventure for less than $50, take the bus; the Malaysian countryside is beautiful.

Normally I'd go with the 35 minute connection in MSP without thinking twice, but since you've got 2 or 3 connections to int'l flights, it might not be a bad idea catch an earlier flight out of ORD to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

oh I am not worried about the KUL-SIN segment at all...but since I have to change the ORD-MSP segment and if the KUL-SIN is available then I will just get it since I have to pay $50 anyways. If I can't get the KUL-SIN segment, that's fine my dad can always buy me the ticket in Singapore and mail it to me.

I know that MH and SQ both should at least have hourly flights so it woudl not be a problem at all.

Thanks

Edited to say: I grew up in Singapore and have been to Malaysia often but after such long flights, I would prefer to head straight to my bed in SIN

[This message has been edited by indo79 (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by santo:
http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/airports/MSP.shtml provides a MSP terminal distance diagram (in minutes of walk). Note that the distances are indicated with the use of moving walkways.</font>
The fact that there exists a walking distance diagram in minutes for MSP indicates that a 35-minute connx is not a good idea.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Last week I had to connect at MSP with a layover of 37 minutes. Concerned with a potential miss-connection, I called Gold Elite line.

I was told, the designed minimum connecting time at MSP is 32 minutes. You should be OK unless you have to walk unfortunately long distance between gates, say F15 and A14. Then you absolutely need to ride in one of those cute terminal cars.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indo79:
Hello everyone

I managed to redeem ORD-MSP-LAX-TPE-KUL and back using NW and MH. I am still trying to snag the KUL-SIN segment so if I get it I will have to pay another $50 to change the flight.

However, another worry I have is the connection times at MSP. I arrive at MSP at 8.20pm on Feb 7th and my flight to LAX leaves at 8.55pm. Do you think that is too close of a connection? I could always arrive earlier and hang out at the MSP lounge? I am worried because I believe that is the last flight to LAX and if I do not get it, my whole trip would be screwed up and during winter season you never know what's going to happen.

Also because if I manage to snag the KUL-SIN they will charge me $50 anyways

Thanks
</font>
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Don't know about the ORD flights, but NW seems to like to put the LAX flights on the G concourse, usually in the first 10 gates of it. Hope this helps in some way..
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bk42:
Don't know about the ORD flights, but NW seems to like to put the LAX flights on the G concourse, usually in the first 10 gates of it. Hope this helps in some way..</font>
you are right..I just checked today's flights from MSP-LAX and all left from G3 with the exception of 1 flight.

from ORD-MSP, they seem to be scattered around the C, D and F gates...none in the A or B gates.

I also called an agent just now and he told me not to worry about MDW or ORD flights to MSP if I want to change to an earlier time, they have plenty of F seats, and he advised that since if possible, I want to get the KUL-SIN segment, wait and see if that becomes available and make 2 changes at one go.

Thanks

Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:05 am

The congestion of airports is always scheduled into the departure and arrival times.

I believe that people require at least a 35 minute connection, so yours would probably work.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Due to my getting to ORD early I have many times gone to MSP 1 or 2 flights earlier than scheduled. Most of the time the nice ORD agents will offer me the option of departing early. I would rather spend an extra hour or two in MSP than in ORD anyway

I also called an agent just now and he told me not to worry about MDW or ORD flights to MSP if I want to change to an earlier time, they have plenty of F seats

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.