FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Any good MQD flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2036409-any-good-mqd-flights.html)

flyerfirsts Mar 22, 2021 10:16 am

Any good MQD flights

Anybody have any good flights for MQD earning? I have enough miles for status but no MQD this ear, and while I could work towards the DL Platinum MQD boost I'd like to have a backup plan.

ATOBTTR Mar 22, 2021 10:46 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts (Post 33118379)
Anybody have any good flights for MQD earning? I have enough miles for status but no MQD this ear, and while I could work towards the DL Platinum MQD boost I'd like to have a backup plan.

AeroMexico J fares are among the best for earning MQDs. Business Class fares earn based on 40% of distance flown. So for example, a JFK-MEX round trip, which is ~4,000 miles in distance round trip, would earn about 1600 MQDs, regardless of how much you actually paid for the ticket. Do note: the flight must be MARKETED by AeroMexico to earn this. If you book via DL.com and the flight is booked as a DL codeshare, you would earn based on if DL operated the flight, and earn MQDs based on what you paid for the ticket. You'll want to book through AeroMexico to ensure the flight is marketed by AM so you earn based on the AM rate. The same is true with other partners.

Other partner MQD earnings are available here:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

Another note: Int'l Partners often offer great MQD redemptions if you can find a cheap business class fare but due to COVID right now, entry into many countries could limit what options are available.

Christefan Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts (Post 33118379)

That should rather be easy. Just pick the shortest, most convenient flight from your home base and select the most expensive fare. Less time in the air while maximizing MQDs.

cre95 Mar 22, 2021 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Christefan (Post 33118495)
That should rather be easy. Just pick the shortest, most convenient flight from your home base and select the most expensive fare. Less time in the air while maximizing MQDs.

Typically, looking for same day travel and targeting F would yield the best results as well. Also, check for buying two one-ways rather than a round-trip to further optimize the outcome. :cool:

flyerfirsts Mar 22, 2021 12:08 pm

If ATOBTTR hadn't posted, I would say you guys don't understand how this works, but now I see you're just wasting time.

rylan Mar 22, 2021 12:55 pm

Problem is the backup plan is dicey, since it involves international travel with many locations not allowing entry and restrictions can change quickly, along with flights being dropped. And you also need a neg test to get back to the US.

rogo Mar 22, 2021 1:41 pm

There is no reason to start planing MQD flights. There will be a reduction in requirements so whatever you're targeting is too much.

Why not wait till mid year and see what Delta is thinking?

mayhem Mar 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 33118454)
AeroMexico J fares are among the best for earning MQDs. Business Class fares earn based on 40% of distance flown. So for example, a JFK-MEX round trip, which is ~4,000 miles in distance round trip, would earn about 1600 MQDs, regardless of how much you actually paid for the ticket. Do note: the flight must be MARKETED by AeroMexico to earn this. If you book via DL.com and the flight is booked as a DL codeshare, you would earn based on if DL operated the flight, and earn MQDs based on what you paid for the ticket. You'll want to book through AeroMexico to ensure the flight is marketed by AM so you earn based on the AM rate. The same is true with other partners.

Other partner MQD earnings are available here:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

Another note: Int'l Partners often offer great MQD redemptions if you can find a cheap business class fare but due to COVID right now, entry into many countries could limit what options are available.

+1 for AM, got an 8,000 MQD ticket last year on AM JFK-MEX-PVG return in J for $2,500. Bit harder right now with COVID though indeed.

Wimsta Mar 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by rogo (Post 33118955)
There is no reason to start planing MQD flights. There will be a reduction in requirements so whatever you're targeting is too much.

Why not wait till mid year and see what Delta is thinking?

I don't think they will ever rollover MQDs, so even if they reroll status (again, which I also don't expect) that only helps folks keep status they have, not advance.

I seriously doubt there will be any drop in MQD requirements to PM or DM, and MQDs are at the premium they always are. I've waiting for opportunities myself. Mexicon might be a good one.

BHammy Mar 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 33118454)

Curious how to specifically do this...looking at Z fare KLM flight from EDI-AMS-ICN this fall, after heading to EDI for a couple weeks.

Do I book the flight via KLM, but add my SkyMiles account to the ticket?
Can all this be done online, or need to call KLM and/or DL?

TIA.

ATOBTTR Mar 22, 2021 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by BHammy (Post 33119482)
Curious how to specifically do this...looking at Z fare KLM flight from EDI-AMS-ICN this fall, after heading to EDI for a couple weeks.

Can all this be done online, or need to call KLM and/or DL?

TIA.

Yep - simply book via KLM and where you add an FF number, instead of an AF/KL number, select Delta SkyMiles and add your SkyMiles number. The trip won’t show in the DL App since you booked via KLM and it might take a couple weeks for the mileage credit to post after the flights occur. The activity should post automatically within a couple weeks; however, be sure to save a copy of the E-tickets AND boarding passes and if you don’t seen the activity post to your SkyMiles account within a few weeks, submit a claim for missing mileage via delta.com

Mountain Explorer Mar 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts (Post 33118680)
If ATOBTTR hadn't posted, I would say you guys don't understand how this works, but now I see you're just wasting time.

Wasn't there a movie a long time ago about a guy who had to spend the most amount of money in the least amount of time? Could be useful tips in there

flyerfirsts Mar 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 33119703)
Wasn't there a movie a long time ago about a guy who had to spend the most amount of money in the least amount of time? Could be useful tips in there

Brewster's Millions

Zorak Mar 22, 2021 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by BHammy (Post 33119482)

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 33119580)
Yep - simply book via KLM and where you add an FF number, instead of an AF/KL number, select Delta SkyMiles and add your SkyMiles number.

Additional caution: if you have a Flying Blue account, do not pull up the reservation at any point while logged in to that account, because in the past this had a high likelihood of poisoning the record with your FB number instead of your SkyMiles number, and if you don't realize this until it has been posted to FB already, it is near-impossible to get reversed so that you can credit it to DL (that being said there have been some success reports).

If you want to be really paranoid, look at your boarding passes and/or scan with a barcode reader and make sure the FQTV field shows your DL number and get it corrected at the gate otherwise.

wooootles Mar 22, 2021 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 33119773)
Additional caution: if you have a Flying Blue account, do not pull up the reservation at any point while logged in to that account, because in the past this had a high likelihood of poisoning the record with your FB number instead of your SkyMiles number, and if you don't realize this until it has been posted to FB already, it is near-impossible to get reversed so that you can credit it to DL (that being said there have been some success reports).

If you want to be really paranoid, look at your boarding passes and/or scan with a barcode reader and make sure the FQTV field shows your DL number and get it corrected at the gate otherwise.

+1 I've booked AL/KF before and to avoid the fear of it crediting to a Flying Blue account (which I have), I do the booking in incognito mode/private browsing just to be sure I'm not logged in into my FB account