Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler
Skyteam to get ORD Terminal 5

A vast new plan for O'Hare would demolish Terminal 2, upgrade the other terminals, build two new satellite terminals, result in 6 east-west runways and 2 diagonal runways, and basically give an expanded Terminal 5 to Skyteam, as well as to other non-hub airlines. United and American would be centered in the new Global Terminal to be extended from where Terminal 2 is now, with 150 feet-wide concourses instead of the clogged arteries of today. It sounds to me like there will be two customs/immigrations facilities, the existing one in Terminal 5, and a new one in the new Global Terminal:
Chicago, airlines nearing $8.5 billion deal to dramatically expand O'Hare - Chicago Tribune
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Let's not cheer. It's a pain and requires extra time to get to terminal 5 if you use public transportation to/from ORD.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not cheer. It's a pain and requires extra time to get to terminal 5 if you use public transportation to/from ORD.
Like an extra 10 minutes? Big whoop.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:23 am

T5 is closer than all the others to remote parking, which is also used as a public transit stop.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
In the airline industry, having domestic and international airlines in the same terminal is known as a “global alliance hub,” Evans said, pointing to London’s Heathrow Airport and Tokyo’s Narita International Airport as the standard. O’Hare would become the first such global alliance hub in the U.S., Evans said.
I have to believe this is incorrect. Detroit is only one example where this is also the case. There are many others, I am sure.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by james318
I have to believe this is incorrect. Detroit is only one example where this is also the case. There are many others, I am sure.
Detroit is only served by Air France and Aeromexico, so it's a stretch to refer to them using Delta's terminal as a "Global Alliance Hub", no matter how made-up the term is
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This is only rather peripherally about Delta: AA and UA hold significant veto power over ORD developments, and this isn't financed.

Get back to me when there's a groundbreaking with a firm timeline to put Delta and SkyTeam carriers into Terminal 5.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Correct, so there goes any times saving waiting for the ATS then heading down to the Blue Line over from T5.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is only rather peripherally about Delta: AA and UA hold significant veto power over ORD developments, and this isn't financed.

Get back to me when there's a groundbreaking with a firm timeline to put Delta and SkyTeam carriers into Terminal 5.
AM, KE, KL, AF, MU already operate within T5, DL is planned to be moved in 2020 once the 9 gate extension is completed and yes, this work already has started. DL be using gates M1-M6 on a preferential basis.

Also, T5 will not be formally called the Sky Team Terminal. It will also house both Star and OW carriers that are not part of the JV that will operate from the new T2 and also non aligned carriers. It will also house B6, AS, F9 and NK once it's all completed.

Put it in this perspective, F9 is moving over from T3 this year with 16 operations a day, DL moves over in 2020 with roughly 80 operations per day. Until the new T2 is built, the only FIS will continue to be T5 which on average today during peak summer has 110 operations today. As it was made clear, this is all about international flying and growth, so you can only imagine how packed this terminal will be between 2020-2026. You think T2 is rough, just wait and everyone knows this.

Last edited by ords; Feb 26, 2018 at 6:31 am Reason: added content
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by davie355
T5 is closer than all the others to remote parking, which is also used as a public transit stop.
What?!? There is a Metra Station there (with trains every hour or so) but the vast majority of people taking public transit to ORD take the CTA Blue Line which, currently, only stops at T-1/2/3. Even the Metra stop isn't very close to the ATS and requires quite the walk.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The City plans to use revenue bonds (bonds secured by future airport users fees) which, if the airlines (AA/UA) sign on to the plans, should be pretty easy to float. The Tribune article indicates that they do not need taxpayer funds which is typical of these sorts of projects (unless of course the airlines stop paying). The lease the refer to in the article is the center of all of this and has provisions to help support the bond payments including, likely, minimum passenger numbers from UA/AA and a requirement to post collateral if their financial position takes a turn for the worse.

Last edited by kenn0223; Feb 26, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition, AFAIK most of the airport hotel shuttle buses don't stop near T5. I recall having to get myself from T5 to T2/3 for a shuttle to hotel we used for a Star Mega-DO.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by james318
At SEA the main international concourse (S-Gates) is served by Delta and Alaska (on occasion) and pretty much every international carrier that flies into Seattle except Air Canada.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Hopefully DL will consider expanding/upgauging at MDW during this period. Move one of the SLC flights over to MDW, go all CR9 to DTW, and more mainline to MSP.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Hopefully DL will consider expanding/upgauging at MDW during this period. Move one of the SLC flights over to MDW, go all CR9 to DTW, and more mainline to MSP.
This would be fantastic.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

It's a couple minutes on the ATS. How is this any different than hopping the Plane Train at ATL post-security?
bonoman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.