Transcon D1 comp upgrade chances

Old Mar 19, 21, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Transcon D1 comp upgrade chances

Does anyone know the chances for complimentary transcon D1 upgrade in these days, as a diamond? I assume it should be fairly good given the load factor.
But looking at the seatmap for a sample flight on Saturday, I am not sure. what are those unavailable seats for? e.g., 3A-D, all being unavailable. Will they release those on day of departure for upgrade?
I assume there is no blocking middle seat for D1, as I can see in other flights of this month, I can select seats next to occupied ones.

Old Mar 19, 21, 6:42 am
nrr

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by longmanzz View Post
Does anyone know the chances for complimentary transcon D1 upgrade in these days, as a diamond? I assume it should be fairly good given the load factor.
But looking at the seatmap for a sample flight on Saturday, I am not sure. what are those unavailable seats for? e.g., 3A-D, all being unavailable. Will they release those on day of departure for upgrade?
I assume there is no blocking middle seat for D1, as I can see in other flights of this month, I can select seats next to occupied ones.

I've flown between JFK and LAS ("nearly" a transcon) I've so far always gotten upgraded (several; times at T-5 days) to D1, but the map showed available seats in BLUE like C+--I would move my mouse over an available seat and it would show FREE (even though they ALSO wanted to charge me $965).
At T-1 DAY the upg list ranking appears.
For 1 flt beginning with T-2 days the whole D1 cabin was "blocked", I couldn't even BUY D1, but I did get upgraded at the gate.
Can you BUY D1 seats for your flt?
Old Mar 19, 21, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM
If it is of any comfort (no pun intended), I was upgraded to D1 this week on JFK-SAN and LAX-JFK as a GM. I booked through work about 4 days before the flights and selected the flights that showed availability in D1 with the most space in comfort+. If you know the top tier upgrade policy you will know why I went with this strategy.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 21, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I've flown between JFK and LAS ("nearly" a transcon) I've so far always gotten upgraded (several; times at T-5 days) to D1, but the map showed available seats in BLUE like C+--I would move my mouse over an available seat and it would show FREE (even though they ALSO wanted to charge me $965).
At T-1 DAY the upg list ranking appears.
For 1 flt beginning with T-2 days the whole D1 cabin was "blocked", I couldn't even BUY D1, but I did get upgraded at the gate.
Can you BUY D1 seats for your flt?
This is funny because the last time I flew DL was before COVID hit.

Hilariously, the seat map showing FREE and the comp upgrades being a problem had just recently started (summer 2019-early 2020).

I had a ATL-SJU on an A330 and it showed FREE to move up but it wouldn’t process. Then they mostly disappeared as others were upgraded.

DM so...and DM line wouldn’t help. Sometimes it would save, other times it wouldn’t. Terrible IT. Sad that it’s still a problem.
Old Mar 19, 21, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
SEA-JFK and vice versa, I used RUCs every time I was hoping to upgrade. It appears I would've gotten 2 out of 10 without it (appears being the key word). The other 8? Not a chance.
Old Mar 19, 21, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I would think because of low demand for their D1 product a comp upgrade should clear easily.
Old Mar 19, 21, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
SEA-JFK and vice versa, I used RUCs every time I was hoping to upgrade. It appears I would've gotten 2 out of 10 without it (appears being the key word). The other 8? Not a chance.
I got upgraded twice JFK-SEA in D1 last year as a PM without having to use an RUC; both times the UG took place at the gate. I was very pleased, since they were only seating 8 people up front.
Old Mar 20, 21, 1:40 pm

As PM, I got upgraded on one JFK-SFO daytime flight in December, and did not get upgraded (2/4 for 1) SFO-JFK redeye this March. From looking at seat maps prior to booking in both cases, it looked like D1 loads were lighter for daytime flights than for redeyes, in general.
Old Mar 20, 21, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MM
I’m flying “nearly” transcon PHX-ATL on a lie-flat seat on April 9 in D1. I just looked and all the D1 seats are full.
Old Mar 20, 21, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
I’m flying “nearly” transcon PHX-ATL on a lie-flat seat on April 9 in D1. I just looked and all the D1 seats are full.
D1 widebody cabins are being filled to 100% capacity.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: