food delivered to your plane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
food delivered to your plane

I fly DL out of T4 (JFK), I've passed eateries on the normally HUGE walks to my gate, they will deliver food for FREE to your gate (I assume this service is available at other airports); does this service really work?
While waiting to board I've never seen any deliveries.
Pre-Covid when I flew intl., duty free deliveries to the gate were easy to spot.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
They have a service called "At Your Gate" at DEN. It may be the same service you're mentioning. Its a food delivery service from airport restaurants to your gate. I've never used it though, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have seen Grub-Hub food runners in MSP within the last few months. Haven’t tried the service though.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never seen delivery to the plane itself. But, delivery to the gate is becoming more frequent. Just allow enough time because that gate-vs-plane thing matters once you've boarded.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't see the point if you order in person at some airport F&B establishment. I'd rather take the items with me as grab and go rather than worrying about whether it will arrive at the gate before I need to board and whether the order will be correct when it arrives. OTOH if you can order electronically while waiting in line for TSA or to check in, if you can order from a place in some area of the airport you wouldn't walk past on your way to the gate, or if (unlikely) you can order from an outside restaurant and have a person from Uber Eats or whatever reliably bring the food to the gate, this could be useful, especially in our era of no real food service on flights.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't see the point if you order in person at some airport F&B establishment. I'd rather take the items with me as grab and go rather than worrying about whether it will arrive at the gate before I need to board and whether the order will be correct when it arrives. OTOH if you can order electronically while waiting in line for TSA or to check in, if you can order from a place in some area of the airport you wouldn't walk past on your way to the gate, or if (unlikely) you can order from an outside restaurant and have a person from Uber Eats or whatever reliably bring the food to the gate, this could be useful, especially in our era of no real food service on flights.
Trying to "balance" luggage, food and drink can be a pain; T4 JFK is HUGE, so one less item to carry is a +.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
It’s not delivery, but the Beecher’s sandwich shop in SEA does mobile order; I’ve become an expert at ordering my breakfast sandwich at exactly the right place in the TSA process to show up and claim my sandwich when it comes off the grill.

I concur with others that the lack of visibility and control in a gate delivery model doesn’t hold much appeal. Also, my goal is to spend zero time in the gate area; call me when I can pick up food from a cart at the entrance when exiting the SkyClub
Travelinangel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Trying to "balance" luggage, food and drink can be a pain; T4 JFK is HUGE, so one less item to carry is a +.
Originally Posted by BenA
I concur with others that the lack of visibility and control in a gate delivery model doesn’t hold much appeal. Also, my goal is to spend zero time in the gate area; call me when I can pick up food from a cart at the entrance when exiting the SkyClub
This made me smile. Prior to my having club access whenever I was flying VS out of T4 I would plan to arrive early enough to grab a burger at Shake Shack. There are (were?) two locations in T4 and the one right at the split of concourses A & B was always mobbed so I would walk down to the Shake Shack at the end of B, grab my meal and then walk all the way back to the end of A where my flight was. As soon as nrr mentioned T4 I thought of how long this walk was (though a good way to get some exercise in before the flight).

BenA, I love the idea of being able to pick up food from a cart while exiting Skyclub (or any club) . It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to manage, they're making announcements in the club when your flight is boarding so food deliveries could be timed accordingly.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought the same when I first saw the service offered at JFK, but quickly found out that those restaurants were closed to the public and only working orders on their kitchens for delivery at the gate. I am usually waiting to board last these days, and so far have not observed any food delivered to the gate, so not sure how successful this gate delivery idea is.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta Plat
It does work and it's helpful, I have used it at both T4 and at LGA. It comes in handy when you are trying to catch up on work but your HANGRY and can't concentrate and don't want to deal with a line of other HANGRY people.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rsqrott
This made me smile. Prior to my having club access whenever I was flying VS out of T4 I would plan to arrive early enough to grab a burger at Shake Shack. There are (were?) two locations in T4 and the one right at the split of concourses A & B was always mobbed so I would walk down to the Shake Shack at the end of B, grab my meal and then walk all the way back to the end of A where my flight was. As soon as nrr mentioned T4 I thought of how long this walk was (though a good way to get some exercise in before the flight).
I just wish the airport locations participated in mobile app ordering, to enable "pre-order" when connecting through JFK...
rsqrott and obscure2k like this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I once had a wonderful group of FAs/GAs coordinate cheesesteak and pizza orders to the plane during a WX delay. PHL wasn't the greatest airport, but the DL team there was always fantastic.

Not what OP was asking, just what I thought of when I read the thread title.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
I fly DL out of T4 (JFK), I've passed eateries on the normally HUGE walks to my gate, they will deliver food for FREE to your gate (I assume this service is available at other airports); does this service really work?
While waiting to board I've never seen any deliveries.
Pre-Covid when I flew intl., duty free deliveries to the gate were easy to spot.
Your subject title is misleading. It is deliver to gate, not on the plane.

Try EWR Terminal C since you are in the NYC area, every table seat by gate area and actual restaurants, has ready to order kiosks. It's been this way for many years now.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
When the food and bev provider at MSP G concourse changed a few years ago - DL took over the vendor selection, I think, I seem to recall there were options for deliver from various food options to the gates. Never used it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.