Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WestJet and Delta launch reciprocal benefits for top-tier elite members

Old Mar 18, 21, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

• More top-tier member benefits for flights flown on or after March 18, 2021
  • Qualifying members now have access to the complete network of Delta Sky Clubs when they fly with either WestJet or Delta
  • Creating a seamless guest travel experience
  • Continued focus on safety, care, and peace of mind for travellers
Today, partners WestJet and Delta announced the launch of reciprocal top-tier benefits.

Delta Medallion and WestJet Rewards members have been earning miles and WestJet dollars on either airline since 2014 and as of today, the airlines are further enhancing their reciprocal offering as part of a shared goal to improve and deepen the advantages for their guests.

Qualifying WestJet Business cabin guests and top-tier Rewards members now have access to all Delta Sky Clubs when they fly an eligible itinerary with either WestJet or Delta.

In addition, subject to status, top-tier loyalty members of each airline will now enjoy the following when flying with the other carrier worldwide:
  • priority check-in
  • priority boarding
  • access to preferred seats
  • waived seat selection fees
  • free checked baggage allowance
  • priority baggage drop-off and handling
Sources:
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-and...st-experience/
WestJet and Delta launch reciprocal benefits for elite members and for those flying WestJet Business Class or Delta One - Frequent Flyer Bonuses
Old Mar 18, 21, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
This is great news. The state of US-Canada air travel is so sad right now but some day it will be back.

A bit comical that WestJet has only one airport lounge currently but it sounds like they plan to expand.
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
It was long in the making, and I am glad that there finally is a set of rules. Particularly at Westjet outstations the rules for Delta elite members seemed to be made up as they went, with very little consistency.
Old Mar 18, 21, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
It was long in the making, and I am glad that there finally is a set of rules. Particularly at Westjet outstations the rules for Delta elite members seemed to be made up as they went, with very little consistency.
My one flight on Westjet, they gave me an upgrade for being GM, it was a good experience and I would definitely fly them again. It's nice to be able to set expectations for when I do start traveling out of the U.S. again since Canada will likely be my first destination out of the country.
Old Mar 19, 21, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Curious why they gave up on JV if they're doing this.
Old Mar 20, 21, 8:57 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Curious why they're doing this when they gave up on the JV.
Old Mar 20, 21, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
This is a good start as it's been completely luck of the draw on anything being extended in the past. Now if DL could update their earnings chart for WS to look more like a partnership, that would be a further step in the right direction. Still no Medallion bonus on miles earned with WS, and the MQM and MQD earnings in (non-Y) coach are pretty bad.
Old Mar 20, 21, 11:01 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Maybe they're going to try again with the new administration?

At any rate, I assume the JV is far less interesting to DL now that WS has slashed its route network. Maybe they'll start looking at a new type of partnership once the covid dust settles and WS figures out what kind of airline it wants to/ can afford to be? Before covid, WS had a strong presence across Canada, a tolerably ok network to/from the US and some Latin American sun destinations, and was expanding into Europe. Since the pandemic hit they've essentially gone halfway back to being just a western Canadian regional carrier. I doubt DL wants to spend the money to form a JV to funnel a dozen passengers a week from Atlanta to Calgary.
Old Mar 21, 21, 8:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Correct. This is the plan. I am a 20 yr WS employee, and I can advise that this is the exact strategy. Excited to welcome DL customers onboard our WS aircraft, now and as the border opens back up ASAP.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 21, 10:57 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I fly to west coast USA from YYZ a lot via WS/DL and this is such a positive change for me.

No more having to chase Delta for my WS baggage fee reimbursement (it was DL ticket and codeshares), no more having to board in the lastest of zones, no more having to bum around at YYC with no lounge access, and now I just need better MQM rates via Westjet better than the current 25/50% on economy.
Old Mar 22, 21, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post

At any rate, I assume the JV is far less interesting to DL now that WS has slashed its route network. Maybe they'll start looking at a new type of partnership once the covid dust settles and WS figures out what kind of airline it wants to/ can afford to be? Before covid, WS had a strong presence across Canada, a tolerably ok network to/from the US and some Latin American sun destinations, and was expanding into Europe. Since the pandemic hit they've essentially gone halfway back to being just a western Canadian regional carrier. I doubt DL wants to spend the money to form a JV to funnel a dozen passengers a week from Atlanta to Calgary.
I believe the main reason they gave up on the JV application was the DOT stipulation for WS/DL to give up a bunch of LGA slots (can't remember the precise number but it was equivalent to basically all of WS' current slots). Ironically, WS got those slots as part of the slot divestiture from the US/DL LGA deal. I guess the DOT thought that without any divestiture, this would be a way for those slots to end up with DL again.
Old Mar 22, 21, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
I believe the main reason they gave up on the JV application was the DOT stipulation for WS/DL to give up a bunch of LGA slots (can't remember the precise number but it was equivalent to basically all of WS' current slots). Ironically, WS got those slots as part of the slot divestiture from the US/DL LGA deal. I guess the DOT thought that without any divestiture, this would be a way for those slots to end up with DL again.
The stipulation was they give up 8 slot pairs and was indeed the reason they scrapped the deal.

https://guyanaaviation.com/2020/11/2...venture-plans/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: