Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-SFO DeltaOne is Not Competitive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by N590UA
Amazing how it takes a pandemic to damage work ethic and service compared to a little under what DL was 1.5 years ago.
This has happened in almost every industry. The covid excuse for having horrendous service and inexcusable work ethic is exhausting. It's been a year and we still hear the "due to unprecedented times.... [insert bs excuse], while the phone rings through to some wfh cs rep with kids screaming in the background". Combine that with people who make more on unemployment and stimulus money, we are totally fffkked.
cmd320, KDCAflyer and N590UA like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I'd say that's the exception rather than the norm. Have been flying DL this route over the last six months, as well as a dozen or so flights with their competitors. DL crews have been pretty outstanding in terms of hospitality and professionalism. Unfortunately, the Company is not giving them much to work with at the moment with respect to catering.
On most of my short flights in FC during COVID, the FAs come around 1st to hand out the snack backs and then come back around 3-4 more times with trash collection. Sounds like the FAs are getting board with no longer being able to give out extra snacks/drink refills, so instead they come around and collect trash more frequently.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:26 pm
NY9

Why B752s for JFK-SFO?

Just generally curious. You’d think they could fit enough passengers in wide bodies for the route. Maybe it’s a slot issue at JFK or SFO? Have a flight booked in D1 in July on their stupid 757s where you have to basically jump over someone to go to the bathroom if you have a window seat.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
JFK and SFO are two of the hardest hit airports in terms of COVID-related travel reductions, so it's not clear to say that the extra 34% seats on a 752 are needed - especially since those 34% extra seats probably cost 50% more to operate.

Plus business travel between SFO and JFK that justifies D1 on the route is extremely curtailed. It also makes sense that they would go with the lower D1 density given that demand on this flight (9.5% on the 752 vs. 12% for the 767) . I mean look at the fares... there is wide open availability for D1 redeyes for $1300 in June and July. That's $100 less than I used to pay for a Y ticket on a shorter route pre-COVID. The 16 D1 seats on the 752 are clearly more than sufficient.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by NY9
Just generally curious. You’d think they could fit enough passengers in wide bodies for the route. Maybe it’s a slot issue at JFK or SFO? Have a flight booked in D1 in July on their stupid 757s where you have to basically jump over someone to go to the bathroom if you have a window seat.
I'm sure that DL can swap the 75S to a 76Z if the demand is there...otherwise, until they see the flights are overbooked, then they will keep the 75S on the route.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
To be fair, the majority of the aircrafts to SFO have ALWAYS been 757s on the D1 JFK-SFO route. I flew this route a lot. There were usually a couple 767s per day but the vast majority have always been 752s. Id specifically pick my time slots to avoid the 757.
cmd320 and itsabravenewworld like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:58 pm
NY9

this is the point I wanted to make. It has always been 757s. Credit to the others for pointing out covid stats that now make anything larger than a 757 totally unnecessary but I don’t think delta has ever ever run anything but a 757 on this route.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
To be fair, the majority of the aircrafts to SFO have ALWAYS been 757s on the D1 JFK-SFO route. I flew this route a lot. There were usually a couple 767s per day but the vast majority have always been 752s. Id specifically pick my time slots to avoid the 757.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL is a pretty small player at SFO while UA has hubs on both ends of NYC and SFO. It could be worse -- DL hasn't even been able to maintain 100% D1 flights on JFK-SEA despite having hubs on both ends.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
SFO is tech money. Tech more than any other industry has embraced and gone fully WFH during COVID (I’m in the industry so speak with some insight).

Big or small virtually everyone is still remote right now except for emergency situations (I haven’t had any business travel since Feb 2020, only personal travel). Until that changes, no reason for DL to run anything but 752s. Especially since they are not the dominant player at SFO (as noted upthread).
Old May 16, 2021, 6:33 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Frequency. Business travelers in this market usually have a time in mind that they want to leave at, and having planes at more times lets an airline hit more of those times.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
In fairness next time just think of the poor folks flying BOS-SEA who get to enjoy the 738 experience for 6-7 hours.

While I see the benefit of direct aisle access, to be totally honest from the actual seat perspective I like the 75S seat more than the 763. And at the end of the day if you need to get out, that’s the aisle seat’s problem. If you don’t want to be disturbed, you should have selected the window…
dw likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I agree, it’s annoying seeing wide bodies on short hops, even though I know it’s because those need capacity. It’s a premium route and I certainly (well, once in flight service resumes) would pay for delta over United.

for a while (5 years ago?) they were running an A330 on the afternoon route. Miss that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.