Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Book Your BE Tickets By April 30 (updated title from March 30)

Old Mar 14, 21, 7:55 am
Original Poster

My family of 5 religiously books only BE tickets for domestic travel of 3 hours or less which saves us $400-$600 on every round trip. Since covid started we have been able to cancel and make changes at no charge to all of our BE tickets. This liberal policy goes away after March 30 so all BE tickets will then revert back to pre-covid use-it-or-lose-it.

I have spent the past few days buying up all the speculative tickets I can (both revenue and award) for the next 11 months/330 days for our likely summer/Thanksgiving/Xmas travel knowing that I can still get a dollar-for-dollar credit for my cancellations for all tickets issued by March 30.
M60_to_LGA likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 14, 21 at 8:02 am
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
My family of 5 religiously books only BE tickets for domestic travel of 3 hours or less which saves us $400-$600 on every round trip. Since covid started we have been able to cancel and make changes at no charge to all of our BE tickets. This liberal policy goes away after March 30 so all BE tickets will then revert back to pre-covid use-it-or-lose-it.

I have spent the past few days buying up all the speculative tickets I can (both revenue and award) for the next 11 months/330 days for our likely summer/Thanksgiving/Xmas travel knowing that I can still get a dollar-for-dollar credit for my cancellations for all tickets issued by March 30.
I’m sure that’s what Delta (businesses) intended its customers to do in response to them providing flexibility from their vantage point. Only yourself can make your own judgement call. The movie “Pay It Forward” comes to my mind.
Old Mar 14, 21, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

They could possibly still extend it again. The past few times the waiver rules have been extended, they didn’t make the extension announcement until days before.
Old Mar 31, 21, 7:50 am
Original Poster

BE tickets changeable flexibility is extended now to April 30.
Old Mar 31, 21, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
BE tickets changeable flexibility is extended now to April 30.
Does this cover BE award refunds too?
Old Mar 31, 21, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I’m sure that’s what Delta (businesses) intended its customers to do in response to them providing flexibility from their vantage point. Only yourself can make your own judgement call. The movie “Pay It Forward” comes to my mind.
The benefit to DL is that they now have a 330-day interest-free loan. Not a bad business tradeoff if generating cash is the current primary goal.
Old Mar 31, 21, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Does this cover BE award refunds too?
Yes.
Old Mar 31, 21, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Just bought some tickets yesterday thinking it was the last day... glad they're extending it though

Since I've never cancelled a flight before, is there a certain time I need to decide to cancel? (72 hours, etc.). Or can I just decide the day (or even hours) before the flight that I would rather not go?
Old Mar 31, 21, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
Just bought some tickets yesterday thinking it was the last day... glad they're extending it though

Since I've never cancelled a flight before, is there a certain time I need to decide to cancel? (72 hours, etc.). Or can I just decide the day (or even hours) before the flight that I would rather not go?
Last minute is fine. It makes no difference except that you are holding space which could be needed by others.
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Last minute is fine. It makes no difference except that you are holding space which could be needed by others.
Whether you cancel in advance or not you still get full credit for future travel.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 9:16 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Whether you cancel in advance or not you still get full credit for future travel.
I knew this was the case for the longest time, but I was looking through Delta's agency site yesterday and came across this https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...w-policy-.html that was posted yesterday. I don't know if it's applicable to everyone or just tickets booked through a trave agent/agency. I haven't seen it posted anywhere else yet ??

Delta is applying its No Show policy to all tickets purchased or reissued on March 31, 2021 and beyond. Delta will require customers to notify the airline prior to departure if they need to change or cancel their ticket, in order to retain the value of their ticket. If a customer is a no-show and does not notify their Travel Agent or Delta of a change or cancellation prior to their departure, they will forfeit the value of their ticket.
Old Apr 1, 21, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I knew this was the case for the longest time, but I was looking through Delta's agency site yesterday and came across this https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...w-policy-.html that was posted yesterday. I don't know if it's applicable to everyone or just tickets booked through a trave agent/agency. I haven't seen it posted anywhere else yet ??
Wow that is really good to know. Since covid started DL has actually been encouraging passengers not to call to cancel and tie up the phone lines.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM

I wish I purchased yesterday, because my flight prices nearly doubled. Now economy is a few hundred less than what BE was yesterday...
Old Apr 26, 21, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Just a reminder to book your speculative/fully changeable BE tickets for any upcoming travel by Friday, April 30. After this date BE goes back to use-it-or-lose-it (unless DL extends the deadline again or a significant schedule change).
Old Apr 26, 21, 6:26 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM
Yes.
How does this work, canceling a Basic Economy award ticket? Do the miles go back into your account? Or does Delta do eCredits that have a value in miles rather than dollars? Or some other option?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: