Did DL miss the boat in Austin???

Old Mar 11, 21, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, AS MVP Gold 75K
Did DL miss the boat in Austin???

With AA's announcement of 10 new routes out of AUS did DL miss their opportunity to build up there?

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...3/default.aspx

Or perhaps this is part of DL's plan because AA has now shown their hand (or at least part of it)? Thoughts? I for one was looking forward to a possible LAS-AUS nonstop at some point.

OPS
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
How have they missed anything? DL recently confirmed AUS will remain a focus city. Also AA just announced today.

Lastly Im not sure what AA is doing with some cities. RDU, IAD, LAS all have plenty of nonstops with OAL. It's like they picked some of the worst cities to add flights to right now. Some make sense, but this just seems like asking for empty planes/low yields.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
How have they missed anything? DL recently confirmed AUS will remain a focus city. Also AA just announced today.

Lastly Im not sure what AA is doing with some cities. RDU, IAD, LAS all have plenty of nonstops with OAL. It's like they picked some of the worst cities to add flights to right now. Some make sense, but this just seems like asking for empty planes/low yields.
Just playing devils advocate really. Now that I think about it can either AA or DL really make AUS a focus city in the near future with the lack of gate space? Prior to the pandemic AUS seemed to be getting close to bursting at the seems so I'm not sure either airline (or any other) could add that much capacity to begin with.
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattya9 View Post
Just playing devils advocate really. Now that I think about it can either AA or DL really make AUS a focus city in the near future with the lack of gate space? Prior to the pandemic AUS seemed to be getting close to bursting at the seems so I'm not sure either airline (or any other) could add that much capacity to begin with.
AUS expanded number of gates. They (and the best SC in system) opened just in time for CV19 to hit. KLM was to start AMS service back in March last year even.
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, CLEAR/Global Entry
Big Kudos to the Delta staff in AUS during the recent winter storm emergencies. While I witnessed the other airline employees beginning to buckle under the demands of airport closures, cancelations and delays, the Check-in, Red Coats and Gate Staff really came through. They definitely shined while seeing the patrons of the other airlines that I spoke to after getting checked seemed to wish they had gone with Delta during this particular time. And yes, I did dispense my last two JWD certificates to the folks there.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hepsaint View Post
Big Kudos to the Delta staff in AUS during the recent winter storm emergencies. While I witnessed the other airline employees beginning to buckle under the demands of airport closures, cancelations and delays, the Check-in, Red Coats and Gate Staff really came through. They definitely shined while seeing the patrons of the other airlines that I spoke to after getting checked seemed to wish they had gone with Delta during this particular time. And yes, I did dispense my last two JWD certificates to the folks there.
DL has my favorite SC in Austin.
Hepsaint, flyerCO and ND76 like this.
Old Mar 11, 21, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
AUS expanded number of gates. They (and the best SC in system) opened just in time for CV19 to hit. KLM was to start AMS service back in March last year even.
I thought even with the expansion they were still getting pretty full. No? How many gates does DL have there now?
Old Mar 11, 21, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Delta has missed quite a few boats recently. It really does beg the question if the leadership is all it was cracked up to be post RA or if they were simply running on the fact that it was nearly impossible to lose money as a major US airline from ~2012-2019.
The Situation likes this.
Old Mar 11, 21, 7:26 pm

I thought even with the expansion they were still getting pretty full. No? How many gates does DL have there now?
Officially, the airport lists 7-10 on the airport map. However, they seem to also use 2-6 throughout the day (based on todays departures) which look to be common use gates (along with 1) primarily meant for international flights. DL was running 60-70 daily flights out of CVG and RDU focus cities before Covid hit. I would think they could manage that many flights with 10 gates (although those common use gates will get more use as international flights return). They may not have as many point-to-point flights as they did in the past with the retirement of the CR2 fleet by the end of 2023.
Old Mar 11, 21, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Officially, the airport lists 7-10 on the airport map. However, they seem to also use 2-6 throughout the day (based on todays departures) which look to be common use gates (along with 1) primarily meant for international flights. DL was running 60-70 daily flights out of CVG and RDU focus cities before Covid hit. I would think they could manage that many flights with 10 gates (although those common use gates will get more use as international flights return). They may not have as many point-to-point flights as they did in the past with the retirement of the CR2 fleet by the end of 2023.
One has to wonder how many of the common use gates AA (and all the other airlines for that matter) will end up using as well with this build up. As things ramp up post Covid other airlines are going to want some of the pie as well. Which brings me back to the original question if DL is too late to the party now.
Old Mar 11, 21, 8:38 pm

One has to wonder how many of the common use gates AA (and all the other airlines for that matter) will end up using as well with this build up. As things ramp up post Covid other airlines are going to want some of the pie as well. Which brings me back to the original question if DL is too late to the party now.
AA is over on the west side of the terminal. They are almost certainly not going to be using Gates 1-6 in DL's east side area. It looks like there are some common use gates over on the west side like Gates 22 and 34 that they can make use of (I saw they used Gate 22 for one of their flights today even though it is not listed as one of their gates).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 11, 21 at 9:08 pm
Old Mar 11, 21, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

DL has just under half the gates available to them. Nothing other than DL basically on that end. If you pull up map fir some reason they only label DL as gate 7-10, but if look more you'll see gates 1-6 labeled as AM.

DL thus has ten gates for use at AUS. Gates 1/2 are used for international non-preclearance flights. Technically I believe 1-6 can be all used for international, but gates 1/2 are the ones that DL shares as needed for non-DL/AM international flights. I believe they can use gates 11/12 when they can't use gates 1/2.

Bottom line DL is well positioned gate wise at AUS and has said they're committed to AUS. If anything AA is playing catchup and with bizarre cities. (Unless they're purposefully inciting a war with UA/DL/WN)
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 21, 5:39 am

Last year as I was coming downstairs from the AUS SC I saw a BA plane heading nonstop to LHR.
Old Mar 12, 21, 6:41 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
As no one can predict future air travel until we can look at pandemic in the rear view mirror - find the topic of the email premature. E.g. Miss the boat on potential business routes (not knowing how business travel will resume)? Or leisure routes (which is guarantee to draw LCC carriers making it more competitive). Or population shift so Austin becomes a major population hub in TX requiring more direct flight vs. current option of drive from the other hubs DFW? Just not sure anyone has the answers whereas AA operating with a hub only ~200 miles away not a significant investment.
Old Mar 12, 21, 6:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
My understanding was that Delta locked up most of those gates in the new terminal expansion and that the build of the Skyclub was part of the deal made with the airport for that exclusivity. Given the rapid growth Austin is experiencing, I feel that every airline will want a piece of the action in AUS. But, given that AA has a huge DFW presence and UA at IAH, why would those airline want to add directs to anywhere other than their hubs so close by? Given covid, anything is possible, but Austin is in process of planning to greatly expand the airport by adding a separate in field concourse. (Yet no additional runway capacity...) "in 2019 the airport finalized its own 20 year plan. The AUS 2040 Master Plan reflects the anticipated doubling of passenger growth to serve more than 31 million annual passengers." Check out the plan - > https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...-%20Future.pdf
And a story from KVUE:

And yes, the Austin SkyClub is one of, it not the best club Delta offers. I love the open air skydeck! Reminiscent of ATL F, but without the crowds! Sadly though, I feel that Austin is now more than "discovered". It's road network is always 5+ years behind the demand and with more and more people / companies coming, I see another silicon valley traffic and affordability nightmare on the horizon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: