Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Rollover MQM questions for Million Milers

Consolidated Rollover MQM questions for Million Milers

Old Dec 26, 12, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Rollover Rules for Million Miler Question

I am a Delta Million Miler member which effectively guarantees me the silver level... which I'm sure you all know isn't much... Ever since Delta introduced the roll-over program, I'm getting a feeling that I'm actually getting the short end of the stick with this program. This year I will be about 3k miles short of the 50k level. Delta will roll over the miles above the 25K level to next year... and gratiously take the 25K to grant me Silver... but wait, I'm already Silver... So effectively I get no benefit of being lifetime Silver with this roll-over scheme. This has been going on for years now, and I've been silently taking it because every year I got above the Gold threshold, and didn't really want to argue for more. Here's my question to you, the wise ones out there, is there any way to avoid this?
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Hit 2mm and get GM status. Or fly the 50k to get GM. Or spend enough on your Amex to get the additional miles you need.
Old Dec 26, 12, 10:45 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lawsyes View Post
I get no benefit of being lifetime Silver. . . . .
Just so you know, there is no such thing as Lifetime Silver - - - It's been changed to "annual", with the thought that the benefit could be yanked on a whim with no notice.
Old Dec 26, 12, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Just so you know, there is no such thing as Lifetime Silver - - - It's been changed to "annual", with the thought that the benefit could be yanked on a whim with no notice.
Couldnt they yank lifetime silver just as easily? What happened to the lifetime silvers when they made this change.

I agree with the OP that this sucks. Lifetime silvers, excuse me, annual silvers should start as 25k MQM each year to make the benefit useful to those that still are loyal to DL.
Old Dec 26, 12, 12:14 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I disagree that rollover does not help OP. He will start next year with 22K MQM's and will have a decent shot of hitting Gold next year. Without rollover, he would likely stay at Silver unless he could manage to earn a full 50K MQM's next year. This is not so much about rollover, but rather million milers who think they should be able to start with 25K MQM every year (instead of just Silver status) and get a leg up on getting Gold or higher status. We've been hearing this since well before rollover ever began.
jimrpa likes this.
Old Dec 26, 12, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
...This is not so much about rollover, but rather million milers who think they should be able to start with 25K MQM every year (instead of just Silver status) and get a leg up on getting Gold or higher status. We've been hearing this since well before rollover ever began.
I have to agree..."lifetime status" to me means that when you stop traveling often, they are going to give you some perks when you do travel in recognition of years of loyalty. Well, at least to give you a goal to drive your loyalty...

(editted) Not, per the boost idea, a lifetime one level bump in status, which is what the 25K start would give you.
Old Dec 26, 12, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by lawsyes View Post
Ever since Delta introduced the roll-over program, I'm getting a feeling that I'm actually getting the short end of the stick with this program.
The rollover has nothing to do with getting the short end of the stick on this issue.
Old Dec 26, 12, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
One could argue that making GM,PM or DM any year makes the benefit useless too, For me I would rather have lifetime Sky Priority than annual silver. It has been said many times that the 1MM benefits on DL are weak compared to other airlines but it is also easiert to attain (at least now that AA only count qualifying miles, and UA has always been only BIS miles).

If the point is to get Delta to change MM benefits it is on deaf ears.
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Actually, this can benefit the OP.

He rolls over 22, does his ~ 50k next year, ends up darn close to PM. Does a mileage run or buys mqm at end of year (if they re-offer and I think they will continue as it puts cash into their bottom line) and bada boom - bada bing he's now a PM.

The other option to look at, he rolls over 22k miles, and for the next 7 years (provided roll-over continues), he can be 3k miles short of hitting GM and still hit each of those 7 years.

This is a benefit anyway you look at it.
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
at least now that AA only count qualifying miles
Except AA counted all miles for how long and stopped when?

And Delta has been basically BIS until the last few years and even since then MQMs are much harder to obtain that RDMs.
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
If the point is to get Delta to change MM benefits it is on deaf ears.
I guess what it boils down to, is, would increasing MM benefits bring in any additional revenue? - - particularly now that there are really only a few major airlines to choose from. How many of us have chosen our FF programs based on planned MM benefits to use in retirement, or at some point later in life?
Old Dec 26, 12, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Except AA counted all miles for how long and stopped when?

And Delta has been basically BIS until the last few years and even since then MQMs are much harder to obtain that RDMs.
Except for all the MQMs one can earn every year through DL AmEx.
Old Dec 26, 12, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
As a MM 25K means nothing, so you just have to hit 50K. Rollover actually does help the OP for a single year only, as he can start with 24999 miles rollover, meaning he can hit GM next year for 25K +1 mile.
Old Dec 26, 12, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
it's at least 12 years, not a few years.
Old Jan 28, 18, 4:04 pm

Unhappy 2018 Million Miler and Roll-over Question

This is probably redundant, and I have looked at a few threads and read some of Delta's rules, but just want to make sure I understand it.
Have been a Delta million miler for around 6 years and have always been Gold since then. Didn't travel much this year, just 33,704 MQMs. I am "Silver for Life" (or until they change the rules). This year they took out 25,000 miles and rolled over just 8,704. If I am already Silver, why would they take out the 25,000 and not roll it over? Seems like a double hit. Thank you for your inputs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: