Question on Collecting Delta Miles

Old Mar 6, 21, 10:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Question on Collecting Delta Miles

Hi I am traveling to Japan in 2022. I have accumulated enough chase points for 1 roundtrip ticket o Japan. I have 100K in Marriott points and 15k on a delta rewards account.

If I do the 3:1 transfer on Marriott, that will yield me 38K (33 plus5). Would it stand to reason that this 38K could be added to my 15K balance for a total of 53K in my Delta account. This would then transfer over as 520.00 off another ticket to Tokyo. Is this correct?

I know Amex has that great deal on the Delta Platinum but we aren't flying anywhere utnil May 2022 so the benefits are not that great to me. I have already earned the Gold in the past.

Thanks for clarification! Melissa
Melissa Chapman is offline  
Old Mar 6, 21, 12:58 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,423
Originally Posted by Melissa Chapman View Post
Hi I am traveling to Japan in 2022. I have accumulated enough chase points for 1 roundtrip ticket o Japan. I have 100K in Marriott points and 15k on a delta rewards account.

If I do the 3:1 transfer on Marriott, that will yield me 38K (33 plus5). Would it stand to reason that this 38K could be added to my 15K balance for a total of 53K in my Delta account. This would then transfer over as 520.00 off another ticket to Tokyo. Is this correct?

I know Amex has that great deal on the Delta Platinum but we aren't flying anywhere utnil May 2022 so the benefits are not that great to me. I have already earned the Gold in the past.

Thanks for clarification! Melissa
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1. If you do the 3:1 transfer of Marriott to airline then yes those simply get added to your existing miles.

2. Just to clarify, you plan to buy one ticket via Chase points, and a second ticket using the Delta miles? Since you say 53k miles -> $520 (did you mean $530?) this implies you plan to use Pay With Miles -- note this is only available if you have an eligible DL AMEX card, and can only be done in increments of 5000 miles for $50., so you could transfer only 90k -> 30k+5k plus your existing 15k = 50k.

But IMO this is a terrible redemption value for the Marriott points -- you would essentially be getting .33 cpm. While in many places there aren't great opportunities for redemptions right now because hotel cash rates are so low, if it were me I would keep the 100k Marriott points on hand for future use.
Zorak is online now  
Old Mar 6, 21, 1:56 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

1. If you do the 3:1 transfer of Marriott to airline then yes those simply get added to your existing miles.

2. Just to clarify, you plan to buy one ticket via Chase points, and a second ticket using the Delta miles? Since you say 53k miles -> $520 (did you mean $530?) this implies you plan to use Pay With Miles -- note this is only available if you have an eligible DL AMEX card, and can only be done in increments of 5000 miles for $50., so you could transfer only 90k -> 30k+5k plus your existing 15k = 50k.

But IMO this is a terrible redemption value for the Marriott points -- you would essentially be getting .33 cpm. While in many places there aren't great opportunities for redemptions right now because hotel cash rates are so low, if it were me I would keep the 100k Marriott points on hand for future use.
Oh thank you for that! Yes I did mean 530 and I did not realiize I had to have an active DL AMEX to convert my point balance to cash! Ok so that answers that question. No sense transfering the marriott miles for sure!

On a side note, are you familiar with the DELTA AMex? Are you a fan on the new 90k for 250 offer? I would be except there is not a use for the miles until May 2022.....Is this a card worth having in your wallet always or just for the initial point grab? thanks!
Melissa Chapman is offline  
Old Mar 7, 21, 6:00 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: OSH
Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by Melissa Chapman View Post
On a side note, are you familiar with the DELTA AMex? Are you a fan on the new 90k for 250 offer? I would be except there is not a use for the miles until May 2022.....Is this a card worth having in your wallet always or just for the initial point grab? thanks!
The DL Platinum is good for two things, the domestic companion certificate and the ability to buy your way into the sky club. Since you're flying internationally you would have free checked bags anyway. If either of those things are something worthwhile to you, it might make sense to keep it, otherwise it would be just for the SUB. I had the Gold but downgraded to the no AF blue when they raised the fee and took away sky club access.
EAJuggalo is online now  
Old Mar 7, 21, 7:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NYC/DTW/LAX
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by Melissa Chapman View Post
If I do the 3:1 transfer on Marriott, that will yield me 38K (33 plus5). Would it stand to reason that this 38K could be added to my 15K balance for a total of 53K in my Delta account. This would then transfer over as 520.00 off another ticket to Tokyo. Is this correct?
Just letting you know that you need one of Delta's Co-Branded Amex's (Blue, Gold, Platinum, or Reserve) to use the "Pay by Miles" feature if you're talking about using 52k miles to eliminate $520 of the total cost

PS: I love my Platinum Amex and I think it's 100% worth the cost. The companion certificate alone is almost worth the annual fee
Crossinator is offline  
Old Mar 7, 21, 1:18 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta Plat
Posts: 5,940
I agree with others that this is a poor redemption rate. You can always burn them at .4 if you ever stay at a hotel, and likely can get more. And I think they can be transferred to family/friends (never tried to do this, but they say it can be done for free).

As a general rule, never transfer miles into an airline (an especially DL) unless you have a good immediate use for them, And that is not PWM.
exwannabe is offline  
Old Mar 7, 21, 1:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,409
Have you checked redemption rates on United? Chase points transfer to United 1:1

Don't lock yourself into one program (e.g. Delta). You open up a lot of additional flexibility in times of need.

Also, May 2022 ticket windows have not yet opened. Generally, tickets go on sale around a year out.
Repooc17 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 21, 5:26 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Posts: 11,868
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
The DL Platinum is good for two things, the domestic companion certificate and the ability to buy your way into the sky club.
The DL Platinum is also good for the MQD waiver for status.
sethb is offline  
Old Mar 7, 21, 8:44 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MCO
Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Posts: 151
You couldn't purchase 80,000 or 90,000 Skymiles for $250 so for that reason alone, it's a worthwhile "investment".
SUPERTRAVEL is offline  
Old Mar 10, 21, 6:46 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: OSH
Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by sethb View Post
The DL Platinum is also good for the MQD waiver for status.
True, I did not think of that. I will never spend that level on a co-brand and I highly doubt OP is chasing a medallion based on the first post. I understand it can be useful for some people.
EAJuggalo is online now  
Old Mar 10, 21, 7:46 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,709
If you haven't had all the DL credit cards AMEX recently upped the sign up bonuses.

https://creditcard.delta.com/d/delta...8aAjhAEALw_wcB
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 21, 12:31 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 19
How many Chase points do you have?

Last edited by Beetles; Mar 11, 21 at 12:38 am
Beetles is offline  
Old Mar 15, 21, 1:33 pm
  #13  
exp
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Posts: 3,549
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
If you haven't had all the DL credit cards AMEX recently upped the sign up bonuses.

https://creditcard.delta.com/d/delta...8aAjhAEALw_wcB

But what are those miles worth with all the award devaluations? Seems like they really need to raise the mileage offers.

Do they even let previous card holders get those bonus miles again these days?
exp is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 10:53 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,709
Originally Posted by exp View Post
But what are those miles worth with all the award devaluations? Seems like they really need to raise the mileage offers.

Do they even let previous card holders get those bonus miles again these days?
There are often offers for previous cardholders to get the bonus again but in my post I said if they had not already had the cards to possibly get the SUB.

As far as mile value I booked 2 seats MSP/RSW and 2 seats MSP/RSW Saturday to Saturday nonstop for 9K miles each..................total 36K miles for 4 nonstop tickets with great departure times.

I also booked 2 seats Nonstop to MSP/LAS in June for 11K miles round trip.
flyer4512 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: