Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spring 2021 Delta Amex Welcome Offers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:54 pm

I have the Platinum and am planning on taking advantage of the current offer on the Gold (70k miles), then waiting 90 days to apply for the Blue, and at the end of the year downgrading my Platinum to a Blue. The Gold is a better fit for me, but I was wondering, if I open a Blue card in August, will I be allowed to downgrade my Platinum to the Blue? Would it make more sense to downgrade to a Gold since the first year is free, and then downgrade further to a Blue a year later?
Old May 16, 2021, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
I currently have the Delta Platinum. Delta Gold medallion here. Got an email from AMEX offering to upgrade me to reserve with 60000 miles and $300 statement credit after 4k in spend. I do prefer to travel with Delta over AA. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is worth it? I live east coast and almost always connect through ATL.
I got that offer too and I don't see an expiry date in the email. I rather get MQMs though. The worthlessness of the Skymiles doesn't really excite me to upgrade.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Data point

Received Delta status challenged BA to GM and then applied for Gold card. Received. Interestingly enough though terms say within 8 weeks $200 credit applied it appeard 4 days after my ticket purchase. Also odd, I booked one flight and then cancelled within 24 hours to choose different itinerary and 70,000 posted as both trips together were greater than $2000 spend. Points still there a few days later and perhaps they will be removed but for now still there.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
Anyone currently have the AMEX Platinum card but now considering the Delta Reserve instead? With the increase to $695, I’m wondering if it’s almost time to switch to the Reserve and retain my SkyClub access. Granted I just renewed my PLAT a couple months ago…but what’s everyone’s thoughts going forward?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by allseas1586
Anyone currently have the AMEX Platinum card but now considering the Delta Reserve instead? With the increase to $695, I’m wondering if it’s almost time to switch to the Reserve and retain my SkyClub access. Granted I just renewed my PLAT a couple months ago…but what’s everyone’s thoughts going forward?
My AMEX Plat renewal is on 7/24 and my DL AMEX Plat renewal just hit the books last week. I'm going to ditch both and go for the Reserve instead.

Retain my SkyClub access, take the bonus RDMs, use the 20k MQM bonus for a nice rollover cushion for next year. Plus I'll have the F companion pass instead of the Y companion pass -- I know there are some challenges but ex-RDU, I've never had an issue using the Y companion pass unless it's a true peak weekend.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:26 pm
PH2

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
I currently have the Delta Platinum. Delta Gold medallion here. Got an email from AMEX offering to upgrade me to reserve with 60000 miles and $300 statement credit after 4k in spend. I do prefer to travel with Delta over AA. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is worth it? I live east coast and almost always connect through ATL.
I just got this same offer today and am considering upgrading to Reserve from Platinum. Question for anyone who knows - my current situation is that I am the primary cardholder and have 3 additional card members, all of us on Platinum. If I upgrade to Reserve and leave them on Platinum, (1) does their spend go toward my $30K/$60K/$90K/$120K MQM bonus milestones, and (2) for the bonus miles, do the Platinum cards follow the Reserve rules (3x for Delta purchases, 1x for everything else) or do they follow the Platinum rules (3x Delta, 2x grocery/restaurant and 1x everything else)? I can't seem to find an answer to either of these questions. I plan to call them to find out, but wondering if anyone knows how this works.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
It is far too annoying to make the Amex Platinum worth it for me, especially since they are allowing CL access with the Reserve now.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I have both and I'm starting to think that I should ditch the AMEX Platinum next year when I have to pay the higher AF.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:12 am

ANy chance gold goes higher than 70k? has it in the past?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:27 pm
PH2

Originally Posted by PH2
I just got this same offer today and am considering upgrading to Reserve from Platinum. Question for anyone who knows - my current situation is that I am the primary cardholder and have 3 additional card members, all of us on Platinum. If I upgrade to Reserve and leave them on Platinum, (1) does their spend go toward my $30K/$60K/$90K/$120K MQM bonus milestones, and (2) for the bonus miles, do the Platinum cards follow the Reserve rules (3x for Delta purchases, 1x for everything else) or do they follow the Platinum rules (3x Delta, 2x grocery/restaurant and 1x everything else)? I can't seem to find an answer to either of these questions. I plan to call them to find out, but wondering if anyone knows how this works.
Just in case anyone is interested in this scenario, I chatted with AmEx tonight about it and they confirmed that the Platinum card additional cardholders' spending would count toward the Reserve card MQM bonus milestones, and also that they would earn miles based on the Platinum categories. Meaning, I can get the advantages of both the Reserve card MQM bonuses and the Platinum 3x miles bonus on hotel spending and 2x miles bonus on restaurants and grocery stores on any purchases by my wife and kids. I may call them tomorrow to speak to someone else to confirm this, but if it's legit, I'll probably upgrade. Especially since the $300 statement credit pays for the difference between the Platinum and Reserve AF for the first year.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Does a SkyClub drink purchase trigger the $200 statement credit? I need to use mine and have my last planned trip of the year coming up.

Already in paid F (booked before I got the card with vouchers) so can’t just buy a drink. I know I can book a flight and just cancel for the credit, but I’d rather buy a paid drink at ATL next week and the have the rest of the credit offset other spend
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:04 am

Does anyone know if the Delta MQM welcome bonus is part of the delta accelerator program which earns an additional 25%? My welcome MQM's just posted but did not receive the 25% bonus.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:11 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Does anyone know if the Delta MQM welcome bonus is part of the delta accelerator program which earns an additional 25%? My welcome MQM's just posted but did not receive the 25% bonus.
I believe it is only flights both marketed and operated by Delta.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by VFR
I believe it is only flights both marketed and operated by Delta.
I know for sure MQM's earned through delta AMEX credit card's earn a 25% bonus when they meet the spending threshold. For the reserve is every $30K spend, earns 18,750 MQM (15,000 before accelerator) and for the delta platinum for every $25K spend, earns 12,500 MQM (10,000 before accelerator). I just don't know if the accelerator bonus is also applicable to the welcome bonus.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:14 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
I know for sure MQM's earned through delta AMEX credit card's earn a 25% bonus when they meet the spending threshold. For the reserve is every $30K spend, earns 18,750 MQM (15,000 before accelerator) and for the delta platinum for every $25K spend, earns 12,500 MQM (10,000 before accelerator). I just don't know if the accelerator bonus is also applicable to the welcome bonus.
Whoops, you are absolutely right! I read through the T&C for the Delta Amex Platinum and found this:

Starting on January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021 ("Purchase Period"), Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Card Members that meet Status Boost's $25,000 and $50,000 purchase thresholds, will be awarded an additional 2,500 bonus Medallion Qualification Miles on top of the 10,000 MQMs they already earn as part of each purchase threshold (for a total of 12,500 MQMs per purchase threshold). Offer ends December 31, 2021.
There is separate language about the signup bonus MQMs and it says only 10,000, so I think no accelerator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.