Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CVG, SJC and BNA lose “focus city” designation

Old Mar 4, 21, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Moderna 2 Dose

Speaking at a Raymond James conference on Monday, Delta President Glen Hauenstein told investors that the carrier planned to reinstate just two of its five focus cities as it recovers from the Covid-19 crisis. Austin and Raleigh-Durham will return, while the label will drop from Cincinnati — a former Delta hub — Nashville and San Jose, Calif.

https://airlineweekly.com/delta-trim...aleigh-durham/

(Apologies if this has been discussed already - Hauenstein’s comments were news to me, at least.)
Old Mar 4, 21, 7:20 pm

None of this is too surprising. A lot of people scratched their heads when SJC and BNA were declared to be focus cities as there was little to indicate that in the way of flights. CVG's status likely has a lot to do with retirement of CR2's by the end of 2023 as announced last October. As far as pre-Covid non-hub routes, CVG-BDL/CLT/STL/MCI/IAH/AUS/PHX have all been removed through end-of-schedule. CVG-EWR/DCA/MCO/FLL/RSW/TPA/DEN/LAS are currently flying now. CVG-PHL/BWI/RDU/ORD/DFW/SFO are currently scheduled to restart May 2nd (although they have been pushing back restart dates on these for many months). A number of those routes have CR2's scheduled on them (some are all CR2 flights). It will be interesting to see how many of those routes stick with CR2 retirements. CVG-BWI/PHL feel like they might be the weakest (both are currently scheduled with 3x daily CR2's).
HDQDD likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 4, 21 at 7:47 pm
Old Mar 4, 21, 8:44 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Sad to see CVG go from its historical hub status, but it makes sense with the phasing out of the CR2s. (I wonder if the SFO-CVG flight will stick long term; it was sometimes a nice alternative option than going through one of the other hubs).

I'm wondering if DL is foreseeing less tech business with SJC being demoted. (It seems like a lot of tech companies may be doing more remote work & collaboration longer term and several corporate HQ folks are moving out of California, so maybe there'll be less demand out of SJC when air traffic returns).
ryandc99, ExArkie and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
Sad to see CVG go from its historical hub status, but it makes sense with the phasing out of the CR2s. (I wonder if the SFO-CVG flight will stick long term; it was sometimes a nice alternative option than going through one of the other hubs).

I'm wondering if DL is foreseeing less tech business with SJC being demoted. (It seems like a lot of tech companies may be doing more remote work & collaboration longer term and several corporate HQ folks are moving out of California, so maybe there'll be less demand out of SJC when air traffic returns).
Between WN and AS, SJC really didn't have much of a chance for DL. DL's real strength is east of the Mississippi (yes, MSP is barely on the other side). AUS is close enough that they can possibly make it work, SJC is not. BNA is pretty much a WN stronghold at this point.
Old Mar 4, 21, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I don't think SJC is really being demoted. It never was a focus city by any reasonable definition to begin with. It had good connections to all the Western hubs plus ATL. And 1x or 2x to DTW and JFK. I expect that will be the same once covid is over.

A few companies have left, but not enough to have a noticeable impact. Zoom meetings might have an impact.
Old Mar 4, 21, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Between WN and AS, SJC really didn't have much of a chance for DL. DL's real strength is east of the Mississippi (yes, MSP is barely on the other side). AUS is close enough that they can possibly make it work, SJC is not. BNA is pretty much a WN stronghold at this point.
I don't know about all that! I think DL has 3 major Western hubs fairly close together (more than any other airline), 2 of which are currently undergoing massive expansions: SLC, LAX (I believe those are the #1 and #2 biggest airport projects in the country now) and the 3rd is undergoing a pretty major expansion as well: new IAF at SEA.

With all that infrastructure, DL simply doesn't need a focus city in SJC.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
As a SJC flyer, I missed pre-COVID days... 3x ATL, 1 JFK, 1 DTW, a lot of SEA, SLC, LAX; especially DTW got a boost to 2x per day (this only happened in press release but never came true)...
jj243 and ryw like this.
Old Mar 4, 21, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
As a SJC flyer, I missed pre-COVID days... 3x ATL, 1 JFK, 1 DTW, a lot of SEA, SLC, LAX; especially DTW got a boost to 2x per day (this only happened in press release but never came true)...
I hope the LAS flight sticks.
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jj243 View Post
came here to say this. I like the direct flight to the Bay Area, even if it does mean a bit of a journey up the peninsula
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jj243 View Post
Originally Posted by gitismatty View Post
came here to say this. I like the direct flight to the Bay Area, even if it does mean a bit of a journey up the peninsula
Me three. Was hoping they'd find a way to keep it going during COVID what with the shift away from biz travel and more leisure, but then again maybe the E75s are busy with downgauged routes elsewhere. If so, then maybe if things pick up again and some of those routes go back to mainline they'll bring back some of these oddball point-to-points? :fingerscrossed:

Also I did a double take on seeing the handle... did you lose the pw to your other account?
Old Mar 4, 21, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Also I did a double take on seeing the handle... did you lose the pw to your other account?
yes, and I could not find the reset email in any of the accounts I would have used. so I had to start over.......
Old Mar 5, 21, 3:05 am

I never saw SJC as a focus city. Doubt many in San Jose were aware of it either. Was there was even an attempt to add a Sky Club there?
Old Mar 5, 21, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
CVG's main concern at this point is keeping the CDG flight. I think it's probably safe due to cargo contracts. During normal times, I'm told it was one of the most profitable TATL routes. Regularly 80%+ loads, and of course GE parts going to Airbus.

The retirement of the 763s could prove problematic, but hopefully DL will have picked up some used 787s by then.
Old Mar 5, 21, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Glad to see RDU will be coming back. Gives me an extra kick to ensure I get the MQD waiver and the 1-2 flights I need to get back to maintain PM for next year when (hopefully) business travel begins to return in earnest
Old Mar 5, 21, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I don't know about all that! I think DL has 3 major Western hubs fairly close together (more than any other airline), 2 of which are currently undergoing massive expansions: SLC, LAX (I believe those are the #1 and #2 biggest airport projects in the country now) and the 3rd is undergoing a pretty major expansion as well: new IAF at SEA.

With all that infrastructure, DL simply doesn't need a focus city in SJC.
You are missing the point of a focus city -- it's first and foremost to serve O&D traffic, not for connecting people. But for destinations not served directly, you need to offer viable connecting options. SLC is in a good location for connecting SJC to eastern US, but the hub is just too small when you look at what competitors can offer (including driving to the UA hub up the road in SFO). SEA and LAX aren't really good for a lot of flows from SJC (particularly within California where you have WN/AS non-stops and UA SFO hub), and again, they really aren't that big. When you compare BOS/JFK/LGA/ATL/DTW/MSP (and RDU focus city) in east to SEA/SLC/LAX in west, there's no real contest in where DL's strength is. And with AA/AS joining forces, it further diminishes DL's position in the west. AUS is close enough to those strong eastern hubs where DL can provide a ton of options going east and decent coverage of the west via LAX/SLC/SEA hubs. Although intra-Texas traffic from AUS (like intra-California from SJC) is going to be a pretty glaring weak point for DL when compared to what competitors can offer.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 21 at 8:04 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: