Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

CVG, SJC and BNA lose “focus city” designation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CVG, SJC and BNA lose “focus city” designation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by ryw
I'm wondering if DL is foreseeing less tech business with SJC being demoted. (It seems like a lot of tech companies may be doing more remote work & collaboration longer term and several corporate HQ folks are moving out of California, so maybe there'll be less demand out of SJC when air traffic returns).
And many of these folks are moving to AUS. Which is why AUS is likely sticking around.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by james318
And many of these folks are moving to AUS. Which is why AUS is likely sticking around.
Regardless of location, work from home (in tech and other areas) due to COVID-19 means essentially no business travel, although longer term, some of these companies could do work from home to cut expenses and ask people to travel regularly to headquarters or elsewhere for group meetings.

BNA always surprised me as a focus city as it's not a high yield location, largely due to lots of competition from WN. OTOH, it's a low cost of living urban area, so that could have made the economics work there. There would be some high tech firms due to Vanderbilt and its med school.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Regardless of location, work from home (in tech and other areas) due to COVID-19 means essentially no business travel, although longer term, some of these companies could do work from home to cut expenses and ask people to travel regularly to headquarters or elsewhere for group meetings.

BNA always surprised me as a focus city as it's not a high yield location, largely due to lots of competition from WN. OTOH, it's a low cost of living urban area, so that could have made the economics work there. There would be some high tech firms due to Vanderbilt and its med school.
Totally agree with you on Nashville. never got that either, but you make some valid points. As a CVG based flyer, i hope a lot of those routes come back, especially RDU, BWI SFO and PHL. And they had better leave that skyclub open too
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ryw

I'm wondering if DL is foreseeing less tech business with SJC being demoted. (It seems like a lot of tech companies may be doing more remote work & collaboration longer term and several corporate HQ folks are moving out of California, so maybe there'll be less demand out of SJC when air traffic returns).
I'm guessing in a post COVID world SJC traffic was just too expensive to go after. With WN having such a presence in both SJC and OAK it's an uphill climb for anyone in the bay area not already with UA. Even if DL would have added a flight to AMS or CDG, it would have likely just cannibalized the AF/KL flights out of SFO instead of gaining new passengers. If DL was willing to lose money in SJC for 4-5 years they probably could have elbowed their way to #2, but that's certainly less tolerable now where there aren't profits to hide the money pit truly battling for SJC would become. Plus who's more likely to keep teleconference after COVID than tech companies?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pfreet
I never saw SJC as a focus city. Doubt many in San Jose were aware of it either. Was there was even an attempt to add a Sky Club there?
I have heard rumors of adding a Sky Club. I'm not sure where it would have gone,
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I have heard rumors of adding a Sky Club. I'm not sure where it would have gone,
The former AA club would've been a good candidate, but it's now a second "The Club" lounge. Also that location would've been better when DL was using the low numbered gates. 11-13 are closer to TSA and the exit, which is nice, but inconveniently in the middle between the two lounges...
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
DL at SJC did see very significant growth recently. Barely 5 or 6 years ago, DL had a few CR2s to SLC and a few CR7/9 to LAX. Only 1 mainline flight to MSP. That was it.

Just before covid, it was 5x SLC, 5x LAX, 4x SEA, 3x LAS, 3x ATL, 3x MSP, 1-2x DTW, 1x JFK. All mainline except LAX/LAS

This put DL clearly into 3rd place at SJC and they were rewarded with the best gates in Terminal A. (1st and 2nd place are both in Terminal B).

I think this is a very reasonable offering. I don't expect DL will drop that service, nor do I expect they will grow it.
rogo likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kjnangre
DL at SJC did see very significant growth recently. Barely 5 or 6 years ago, DL had a few CR2s to SLC and a few CR7/9 to LAX. Only 1 mainline flight to MSP. That was it.

Just before covid, it was 5x SLC, 5x LAX, 4x SEA, 3x LAS, 3x ATL, 3x MSP, 1-2x DTW, 1x JFK. All mainline except LAX/LAS

This put DL clearly into 3rd place at SJC and they were rewarded with the best gates in Terminal A. (1st and 2nd place are both in Terminal B).

I think this is a very reasonable offering. I don't expect DL will drop that service, nor do I expect they will grow it.
And after the focus city designation, certain flights upgauged further. ATL went from a 737 to a 757. That was a nice change.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
but it makes sense with the phasing out of the CR2s..
Originally Posted by xliioper
likely has a lot to do with retirement of CR2's by the end of 2023 as announced last October.
I'll preface by saying, I'm not contesting the validity of the announcement by any means. Also no intent to derail the thread. However. In 2012 I started ground handling for DC flights in a CRJ-200 only station. My supervisor at the time swore to me (and I believe it had been announced then, too) that the "CRJ-200s were being retired by 2013." My response was always that I'd believe it when I saw it. Same applies here. I'll believe it when I see it.
ExArkie and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lhrbound03
I'll preface by saying, I'm not contesting the validity of the announcement by any means. Also no intent to derail the thread. However. In 2012 I started ground handling for DC flights in a CRJ-200 only station. My supervisor at the time swore to me (and I believe it had been announced then, too) that the "CRJ-200s were being retired by 2013." My response was always that I'd believe it when I saw it. Same applies here. I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm of the same vein but in this instance the CR2 days are numbered... they're aging ... almost done ... and certainly has seen better days.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I'm of the same vein but in this instance the CR2 days are numbered... they're aging ... almost done ... and certainly has seen better days.
I guess I have to disagree. Not that I enjoy riding on CRJ-200s by any means, but... they're far from the oldest planes when compared against the rest of the DL/DC fleet (some of the newest until 2016ish, and now probably middle of the pack for age). Lots of them rolled off the line in the mid 2000s. Seen better days in what respect? That they haven't gotten hard-padded seats like the new interior'ed 737s have that are from the late 90s? Or the 320s that are from the early 90s? Frankly, I'll take the soft-padded slightly worn seats. Not to start a fruitless debate, but my beef with the CRJ200 revolves more around it's inability to put most standard carry-ons in the overhead bin and it's notorious weight and balance issues.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrbound03
The DL commitment was to reduce the number of 50-seaters from 343 in 2012 down to 125 frames. There was never any mention of completely eliminating them by DL management back then. They eventually hit the 125 mark in 2018 and have continued to reduce since. They ended 2020 with a meager 54 CRJ-200s in operation. This was a reduction of 63 aircraft from the start of 2020. There may be some that are temporarily parked, but DL didn't break down by aircraft type in their annual report (they only mention 35 temporarily parked regional aircraft). I suspect the bulk of the temporarily parked aircraft are larger RJs. They recorded a $320M impairment charge in the annual report for retiring the CRJ-200's by the end of 2023. There were also impairment charges for the 717 and 763ER fleets which are due to be retired by the end of 2025.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2021 at 6:23 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
The DL commitment was to reduce the number of 50-seaters from 343 in 2012 down to 125 frames. There was never any mention of completely eliminating them by DL management back then. They eventually hit the 125 mark in 2018 and have continued to reduce them since. They ended 2020 with a meager 54 aircraft.
Fair enough. I wasn't aware of the actual agreement or specifics of the 2012/13 metrics or target numbers. But, COVID certainly made it easier to make the 2020 number go down. I don't think the 200s are going to disappear anytime soon, but I digress. It's not like I have anything for or against them, they are/were what they were.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:42 pm

I don't think SJC is really being demoted. It never was a focus city by any reasonable definition to begin with.
Also quoting from the article the OP cited:

Removing the “focus city” moniker may not actually mean much on-the-ground change. The concept is nebulous at best, combining some level of extra service on top of a normal spoke with an elevated sales presence to match strong local growth.
Focus city for Delta has meant a city where they are focusing resources on growth. It has nothing to do with network, per se. DL had grown significantly at SJC pre-pandemic, even if it only have one non-hub route. Over time, I think we would (and still may) see additional point-to-point growth to serve the local Silicon Valley market.

The whole Bay Area lags the rest of the country on travel right now, so it makes total sense for Delta to prioritize its resources elsewhere for the time being. Once the pandemic ends and the Bay Area gets back to life, I think it's a safe assumption that SJC will be back on Delta's (and others') radar for growth given the underlying strength of the Silicon Valley market.

Last edited by cptlflyer; Mar 5, 2021 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:20 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
CVG's main concern at this point is keeping the CDG flight. I think it's probably safe due to cargo contracts. During normal times, I'm told it was one of the most profitable TATL routes. Regularly 80%+ loads, and of course GE parts going to Airbus.
GE pretty much has demanded this route in the past. Gotta think it will continue. GE and P&G have a LOT of influence in Cincy matters.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.