Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many Play the "Pay for the Upgrade It will be Cheaper" game?

How many Play the "Pay for the Upgrade It will be Cheaper" game?

Old Mar 10, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I've never had an issue with the MQM/MQD portions posting. But I've always lost the value of the upgrade when making a change. That said, I'm pretty much always changing routing, dates, destinations, etc. as I'm not a "point A to point B" traveler generally. Maybe if you're changing it for new flights but on the same segments, the agents have some options. If changing to a new route, the value of the upgrade fee disappears when reticketed, every time IME.
Interesting. Now that I think more about it, the MQM/MQD credit issue occurs when I do an SDC on a ticket that I did the buy-up after purchase. Somehow the buy-up part gets disconnected.

Now, if you want to cancel a ticket that had a buy-up my experience is they issue a credit for the original fare and refund the buy-up. Maybe it wasn't that way previously, but with the current change fee waivers thats what I've seen.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 1:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by homegrowned
Quick question: if you have a multi leg journey, how might one see the offer for each leg? I’ve got a short hop on the first leg that I’m not a fan of upgrading but the second longer leg is where I may consider a cash or points upgrade.
In my case, I don't care about the short DCA-JFK. If the cost of upgrading both is still low, then I go for it for the extra MQM.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by homegrowned
Quick question: if you have a multi leg journey, how might one see the offer for each leg? I’ve got a short hop on the first leg that I’m not a fan of upgrading but the second longer leg is where I may consider a cash or points upgrade.
On the seat map there should be an upgrade price for just that segment (in both dollars and miles, at one cent per mile).

Our recent CUN-DTW upgrade was only $99 or 9900 miles, and since it was an A330 (lie flat seats), we jumped on it. Outbound the DTW-ATL leg was $588... Yeah no thanks.
homegrowned likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.