Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Global upgrades to be extended, no longer sad :)

Global upgrades to be extended, no longer sad :)

Old Feb 17, 21, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Sad, global upgrades to expire

Well folks. Had the dream trip planned then the pandemic hit. Upgraded to Delta One with global upgrades for the wife and me to London. Meeting was cancelled and certificates redeposited. Work in health care, restricted from traveling internationally during the pandemic. Delta did extend the certificates 6 months, but alas, at a time most international destinations were closed to Americans. Finally got both doses of the vaccine and we are ready to travel but the certificates expire in 3/1/21 (like in 12 days). No love from Delta on any further extensions or work arounds. I guess I will suck it up, as I should. But I am just trying to figure out if there really is any good reason for Delta to not extend them another 6 months now that the vaccine is rolling out? I mean these are space available anyways, so I wouldn't think they lose revenue. Anyone else had any luck or tricks to use these things before they expire?
Thanks
Old Feb 17, 21, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Going to be the same situation for many many diamond medallions unfortunately... mine don't expire until end of July but I find it highly unlikely to be able to use them by then either.
Old Feb 17, 21, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Going to be the same situation for many many diamond medallions unfortunately... mine don't expire until end of July but I find it highly unlikely to be able to use them by then either.
Same here.

Unfortunately, I think we'll all have to lose on these. We can't realistically expect Delta to keep extending them. They were generous so far, but they're hurting pretty badly at this point.
bgasser likes this.
Old Feb 17, 21, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
I've posted this before but you may have luck in using GUCs for travel after the expiration date if space is available when you apply them and the upgrade clears immediately.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Feb 17, 21, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Unfortunately, I think we'll all have to lose on these. We can't realistically expect Delta to keep extending them. They were generous so far, but they're hurting pretty badly at this point.
Why not? It costs them very little more than the original expected costs to extend the certs and they stand to potentially lose the underlying ticket revenue by not extending them. I don't think extending them when they were unusable was particularly generous. For nearly all of us, letting them expire as dated or extending them for 6 months was the same value proposition.
Old Feb 17, 21, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
Why not? It costs them very little more than the original expected costs to extend the certs and they stand to potentially lose the underlying ticket revenue by not extending them. I don't think extending them when they were unusable was particularly generous. For nearly all of us, letting them expire as dated or extending them for 6 months was the same value proposition.

+1. Delta should do the right thing and extend them another year. British Airways has extended their version more than once.
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:23 pm

Even if you did not fly in the last year, but are a diamond, won't you be getting more GUCs? Yes they expire, but don't you have several others that are not expired? I don't see why Delta should both extend status and also extend GUCs and RUCs.
Old Feb 17, 21, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I was diamond up to Jan 2020. But we had another kid, so didn't travel much in 2019 and dropped to platinum thru Jan 2021. Now I am riding on extended platinum status. I chose my global upgrades on 9/1/19 for a trip to London around 05/20. So I believe they were good till 9/1/20 then extended 6 months to 3/1/21.

Yea, just read the BA just extended their version again.

6 more months would allow a few more options for vaccinated travelers like myself to take advantage of the certificates as things open up. I put some effort into earning diamond status.

-driving to 1.5 hours each way to Delta hub to take Delta flights over UAL who is right in town.
-Always paying for my tickets as opposed to award flights.
-Multiple AMEX Delta credit cards with high spend.

I am only hoping Delta can see that we put good effort into obtaining Diamond status, may be they could put a little more effort into retaining us.
Old Feb 17, 21, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JAeX View Post
I've posted this before but you may have luck in using GUCs for travel after the expiration date if space is available when you apply them and the upgrade clears immediately.
This. I've done this with RUCs several times, even recently. GUCs are obiouvlsy different but it really comes down to the agent you get. It's worth calling and trying to book something before they actually expire, then they are truly wasted. Your odds of using the GUCs after expiration with a trip purchased now are much greater than Delta agreeing to further extend their expiration.

And if they do expire, take comfort that international J hasn't been that great with all the catering cuts. Here is a trip report from when I used my last GUCs on KLM back in July.
HohoGAP likes this.
Old Feb 17, 21, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2.9 MM Miler, Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
This. I've done this with RUCs several times, even recently. GUCs are obiouvlsy different but it really comes down to the agent you get. It's worth calling and trying to book something before they actually expire, then they are truly wasted. Your odds of using the GUCs after expiration with a trip purchased now are much greater than Delta agreeing to further extend their expiration.

And if they do expire, take comfort that international J hasn't been that great with all the catering cuts. Here is a trip report from when I used my last GUCs on KLM back in July.
Interesting trip report, thanks!
Old Feb 17, 21, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2.9 MM Miler, Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Agreed, tried to get my last GUC extended for a trip in December 2021 but no go (and I understand). Good news is I decided to take a DTW-AMS-IST trip in April before the GUC expires (and it cleared). I informed my wife I just HAD to use the GUC and since IST is non-Schengen, the AMS transfer should go smooth with my 72 hours pre-COVID test on the outbound, and same on the return (the Hilton in IST absolutely "guaranteed" they will arrange the COVID PCR test for the return - we'll see). Plus the DTW pre-4 hour rapid test before boarding the plane. Having had COVID in late December (very mild) and since I will have had both Moderna vaccine shots before the trip, I'm hoping it goes well. I told my wife that I just need the experience (whatever happens) to have another great flying story as I approach 3 MM MQMs!
Aloha1 and Alexflyer like this.
Old Feb 18, 21, 7:59 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL GM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
UK is saying today that the US may soon go on the "red list" with compulsory quarantine in a hotel (at your own expense, currently 1750) on arrival. So planning on flying to London, with or without global upgrades, may not be the best option....
Old Feb 18, 21, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.1MM, EK Gold, SQ Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Im in DAR now and will be driving to NBO in the next few weeks. I tentatively used one of my expiring certs to book NBO-AMS-ATL-LAX (ATL leg is the A350) all the way through on a $1k ticket but to be completely honest, im forcing myself to even do it cause I would MUCH rather pay QR to do NBO-DOH-LAX and be able to be in a Q Suite and remove my mask for 13 hours [EK and QR do not require you to keep a mask on in your suite]. I just did JFK-DXB in EK F and its so nice being able to remove it when the door is closed in your Suite. The honest prospect of terrible food and having to wear a mask for the entire of both 8 and 10 hours flights just takes any enjoyment out of it. Its not really a DL problem (well the terrible food is) but its just even when I CAN use the darn things, I dont even really want to.
Old Feb 18, 21, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
UK is saying today that the US may soon go on the "red list" with compulsory quarantine in a hotel (at your own expense, currently 1750) on arrival. So planning on flying to London, with or without global upgrades, may not be the best option....
If that's true, it won't be an option at all for most people in the US. My understanding is that only UK citizens and residents coming from red list countries are allowed to quarantine in the government hotel. Everyone else is banned completely.
Old Feb 19, 21, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Delta did call me back today and told me to let the certificates expire and wait 2 more weeks for a response. They said I am not the only one who has contacted them and they are looking at this as a whole. As things close into March 1st though, I will be tempted to see if I can get a future trip to clear before the expiration.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: