Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Global upgrades to be extended, no longer sad :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global upgrades to be extended, no longer sad :)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Even if they do extend them again, I wonder what the chances of them being able to be used? I would imagine everybody is going to be chomping at the bit to use them so its going to be first come-first served and people are going to need to be extremely flexible and/or hope for gate upgrades. I don't see them opening any more seats for upgrade space ahead of time when they are already behind in revenue. I don't have much experience using GUCs, so I don't know how "easy" it usually is to get a confirmed upgrade upon calling. RUCs are hard enough to use in my experience; I can't recall ever being cleared for an RUC upon calling...even 6 months ahead of time...maybe I just always pick popular routes (LAS, SFO, SJC from ATL).

I stupidly picked RUCs my first year as Diamond (thought I could pick RUCs then GUCs after as my second choice), and then picked GUCs to use in 2020, which were my first ones... Booked a cleared-on-phone to London for April 2020, on my first date I selected but don't know how rare that is (and of course, that got cancelled). I've heard (read) that its almost impossible to use them for places like Sydney or New Zealand as it is, before everybody's certificates got backed up in their wallets...
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Even if they do extend them again, I wonder what the chances of them being able to be used? I would imagine everybody is going to be chomping at the bit to use them so its going to be first come-first served and people are going to need to be extremely flexible and/or hope for gate upgrades. I don't see them opening any more seats for upgrade space ahead of time when they are already behind in revenue. I don't have much experience using GUCs, so I don't know how "easy" it usually is to get a confirmed upgrade upon calling. RUCs are hard enough to use in my experience; I can't recall ever being cleared for an RUC upon calling...even 6 months ahead of time...maybe I just always pick popular routes (LAS, SFO, SJC from ATL).

I stupidly picked RUCs my first year as Diamond (thought I could pick RUCs then GUCs after as my second choice), and then picked GUCs to use in 2020, which were my first ones... Booked a cleared-on-phone to London for April 2020, on my first date I selected but don't know how rare that is (and of course, that got cancelled). I've heard (read) that its almost impossible to use them for places like Sydney or New Zealand as it is, before everybody's certificates got backed up in their wallets...
DL doesn't fly to New Zealand. SYD and JNB were impossible to preclear and always went to.the gate. Europe was very easy with GUCs. Asia was doable if you were flexible (especially long flights to China). RUCs are easy to preclear if you are flexible (I snagged multiple D1 flights from the east coast to Hawaii). I imagine leisure travel will pick up well before business travel...so I have to imagine GUCs will be quite valuable over the next year or two. Unfortunately I do not have any
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Even when international travel starts to open up, its not like there is going to be some huge switch flipped and pax are scrambling to book and fly everywhere. International is going to be a very slow and gradual recovery.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Smile Global upgrades to be extended, no longer sad :)

Hey all, sure enough my global upgrades were listed at expired on 3/1/21. But alas, I did receive a call today from customer service to inform me that global upgrades will be extended till the end of 2021. They mentioned it will take some time to restore these one by one, but expect to see them available soon. Proud of Delta for doing this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yay, good to hear. Hope there is an 'official' announcement or something posted on the DL website soon.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Were they clear about whether this was a one-off response to a customer service request you made, or a general-purpose thing that applies to everyone?
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by avninja
Hey all, sure enough my global upgrades were listed at expired on 3/1/21. But alas, I did receive a call today from customer service to inform me that global upgrades will be extended till the end of 2021. They mentioned it will take some time to restore these one by one, but expect to see them available soon. Proud of Delta for doing this.
Why "alas"?

Alas is defined as "an expression of grief, pity, or concern."

Originally Posted by BenA
Were they clear about whether this was a one-off response to a customer service request you made, or a general-purpose thing that applies to everyone?
OP seems to post about once a year, so you may have to wait a bit for an answer!
kobyjones21 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Ah. Thanks for the correction Dave. Alas, I have been using that word incorrectly like "lo and behold". But I was told the global upgrade extension is for everyone, not just me. I am double checking that by email to be sure.
DiverDave and kobyjones21 like this.

Last edited by avninja; Mar 3, 2021 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by avninja
Hmm......I got a "sorry charlie" response to my request just yesterday.

I am losing 3 RUC in March and 4 GUC in July.

In reality the RUC are not a big deal because of the current state of FC......but losing 4 GUC hurts, especially since I lost DM and can't get more. If I had any clue I would not have been able to use them I surely would have selected something else, but oh well.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Good news here is the agent quote “Yes, for everyone who has unused, active and previously expired Global or Regional certificates selected between March 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 so that they may be booked and flown by December 31, 2021.”
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
A separate thread was started today: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...n-booking.html

Link to official DL announcement in post 8.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Look likes Delta Air Lines already started with the extension process, under 'Certificates, eCredits & Vouchers' 2 of my GUC's show now:
Exp. Date
Expiration Date: 12/12/2021
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I hope that Delta will extend these certificates for another 12 months.

December 2022!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.