Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club entry when no flight from that city - but one later in day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador

So if I am flying UA from SLC to NYC (strictly UA flights on that record), but then flying DL later the same day on a entirely different record from JFK onward, can I I still enter the club at SLC with my membership -I do NOT have to be departing SLC on Delta, correct? With all the changes, just want to clarify... Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, no requirement that the same-day DL (or partner) flight departs from same city for admittance.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Good question. The rule states that you can access in conjunction with same-day travel on Delta, so by the letter of the law I'd think you should technically be able to. However, I can imagine the agent in SLC will be confused when you scan your boarding pass and they tell you which gate your flight out of JFK will depart out of . This may be a case where whether you are granted entry depends on the dragon.
DLASflyer, Thysk and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Not to worry. DL's rules are clear & concise. If DL wanted to limit use to the airport associated with the SC in question, it could have done so. Is it possible that someone will give you a hard time? Of course. But, just be polite & firm and have a printed copy of the rules handy (not to shove in anyone's face, but to review with a supervisor, if it comes to it).

When it comes to contracts, there is no such thing as "technically".
  • Delta Sky Club Members* can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Often1
Not to worry....When it comes to contracts, there is no such thing as "technically".
  • Delta Sky Club Members* can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on Delta or its partner airlines.

Have you successfully done this? Seems apparent to me that "in conjunctuion" could be read to mean that the use of the SkyClub is tied to the ticketed travel on DL. Not ticketed from SLC on DL, then use of the club at SLC is not "in conjunction". Regardless, I would not count on the agents at the club to be legal contract scholars.

Hope the OP gets the most liberal interpretation...

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 1, 2021 at 8:37 pm Reason: clarification/amplification
Old Mar 1, 2021, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I'll let you know tomorrow what happens... We will all learn something I reckon...
NYC Flyer, OHDL1, BenA and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:44 pm
Suspended

I don't see why not, as someone else stated they would've put it in the rules if they didn't want people to. A bit out of the ordinary but nothing wrong.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:56 am

Hi

How did you know that mate? I'm curious.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Interesting.
I have used SC multiple times in the past (used to do it weekly) when my only flight of the day was on AS. I just used to show my membership card on phone.
This was couple yrs ago. May be the terms have been updated since.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by jeet
Interesting.
I have used SC multiple times in the past (used to do it weekly) when my only flight of the day was on AS. I just used to show my membership card on phone.
AS used to be a partner airline.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by jeet
Interesting.
all airlines updated their terms a couple years ago allowing use only when flying them or their partners.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 5:59 am

I have done this many times with zero problems. I simply scan my same day DL BP and get entry. I never show my other airline BP. I frequently do same day travel and fly one leg on Southwest and one leg on DL. I have never once had a problem scanning my same day DL boarding pass even though it departed from a different airport. The rules are same day DL travel.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Interesting that DL has such a flexible policy. I'm used to United's policy which is quite clear:

"Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or contracted partner operated flights."

For UA you must be departing on UA or a *A partner to access the lounge at the departure point. Airports not in your itinerary with a UA/*A flight do not grant access.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Mar 3, 2021 at 11:53 am Reason: with=which
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Interesting that DL has such a flexible policy. I'm used to United's policy with is quite clear:

"Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or contracted partner operated flights."

For UA you must be departing on UA or a *A partner to access the lounge at the departure point. Airports not in your itinerary with a UA/*A flight do not grant access.

-RM
Perhaps Delta's wonderful IT infrastructure can't handle granting access only at certain airports
junglematt likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:27 am

No problem at all doing this, I've done it multiple times. Sometimes scanning my boarding pass works just fine. Other times, an agent has asked for my flight information to confirm. Never been turned away.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.