FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Management getting Big Bonus Payments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2035021-delta-management-getting-big-bonus-payments.html)

PBA_DC3 Mar 1, 2021 9:36 am

Delta Management getting Big Bonus Payments

Incredibly bad optics at a minimum, here. Despite the spokesperson spin, I understand from friends at Delta that the bonuses went to all of the folks at each of these levels, not a selected few as they are trying to suggest. This will, rightly, really anger the front line folks and feed directly into the hands of IAM unionizers. Seems that Ed’s story of egalitarianism for all is actually a pretty big smokescreen. Much like the fact that he almost exclusively flies private, and not on Delta.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ai...ent-employees/

flyerCO Mar 1, 2021 10:52 am

From what I've read on multiple articles

1)management took much larger paycuts
2)management continued working full hours plus lots more in mostcases (no getting a paycheck while not working)
3)finally that while it gets called a bonus this had to be paid out, either contractually, as part of pay cut agreement, or for some other reason.

#1 and #2 seem to be constant across all articles I've read. #3 varies, but is consistent in that this wasn't just a random bonus. If this is true or not I have no clue. Regardless as OP said, bad optics.

HDQDD Mar 1, 2021 12:34 pm

I'll wait for a more reputable source than a blog who cites an unnamed DL source. If accurate, the timing obv isn't great, but if that's the contract that's in place, that's the contract. Trust me, no one knows that better than a union.

DLASflyer Mar 1, 2021 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 33070067)
I'll wait for a more reputable source than a blog who cites an unnamed DL source.

On the CNBC front page now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/delt...-pandemic.html

PBA_DC3 Mar 1, 2021 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 33069820)
From what I've read on multiple articles

2)management continued working full hours plus lots more in mostcases (no getting a paycheck while not working)
3)finally that while it gets called a bonus this had to be paid out, either contractually, as part of pay cut agreement, or for some other reason.

#1 and #2 seem to be constant across all articles I've read. #3 varies, but is consistent in that this wasn't just a random bonus. If this is true or not I have no clue. Regardless as OP said, bad optics.

So some clarifications to your post.

Everyone, other than the handful of unionized groups at DL, took a minimum 25% paycut starting early in 2020 and ending on 12/31/20. Directors, Managing Directors, VPs SVPs, etc. did take larger percentage paycuts in terms of their fixed compensation.

Um, broadly inaccurate unless your speaking of more senior leaders, again looking at D,MD, VP and up. It was made abundantly and passionately clear when the pay cuts were issued that everyone (speaking of salaried and management in this case) picked your day or method of reducing your hours to 32. Prior to covid management (again broad term) often and typically worked more than 40 hours but never was compensated for it, that's not how it works in a salaried world.

Again, no for most who got this, other than a small number of the most senior for whom there may have been a contractual stipulation. I can assure you that noone in grade 8, 10, 11, 12,13, for example, have any guarantee of a bonus. Yes, they have at-risk compensation, but it is just that, at risk.

PBA_DC3 Mar 1, 2021 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 33070067)
I'll wait for a more reputable source than a blog who cites an unnamed DL source. If accurate, the timing obv isn't great, but if that's the contract that's in place, that's the contract. Trust me, no one knows that better than a union.

This is very accurate. Someone at Delta is dropping a dime on this.

flyerCO Mar 1, 2021 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by PBA_DC3 (Post 33070109)
So some clarifications to your post.

Everyone, other than the handful of unionized groups at DL, took a minimum 25% paycut starting early in 2020 and ending on 12/31/20. Directors, Managing Directors, VPs SVPs, etc. did take larger percentage paycuts in terms of their fixed compensation.

Um, broadly inaccurate unless your speaking of more senior leaders, again looking at D,MD, VP and up. It was made abundantly and passionately clear when the pay cuts were issued that everyone (speaking of salaried and management in this case) picked your day or method of reducing your hours to 32. Prior to covid management (again broad term) often and typically worked more than 40 hours but never was compensated for it, that's not how it works in a salaried world.

Again, no for most who got this, other than a small number of the most senior for whom there may have been a contractual stipulation. I can assure you that noone in grade 8, 10, 11, 12,13, for example, have any guarantee of a bonus. Yes, they have at-risk compensation, but it is just that, at risk.

2)while they reduce to 32 hours, most are exempt. Thus while only being paid 32 hours most worked much, much more. In addition unlike FA/Pilots there was no getting paid for not working.

3)I never said a guarantee of a bonus. (They keep saying these aren't bonuses like normal) I said there may have been other reasons that resulted in this "non-bonus" bonus. Again this reasoning has varied across multiple articles I've read. This part I have no clue how true or not it is.

DLdweeb Mar 1, 2021 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PBA_DC3 (Post 33069648)
....Much like the fact that he almost exclusively flies private, and not on Delta./

If this is true, I'd like to know the reasoning. Not a good look, but I'll wait for clarification, if any is provided.

Seminolefan Mar 1, 2021 3:11 pm

I have friends that have been with Delta for over 30 years working on the frontlines, they feel this is ultimate betrayal from Delta.

HDQDD Mar 1, 2021 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Seminolefan (Post 33070437)
I have friends that have been with Delta for over 30 years working on the frontlines, they feel this is ultimate betrayal from Delta.

Well there it is, DL upset Seminolefan's friends. I'm never flying DL again. :D

I'm a former front liner (for another carrier that's far more union than DL). I have no issue with managers who took significant cuts getting some of it back. However, the timing is an epic FAIL. They should have just quietly given them a pay raise to get them closer to where they were. "Bonuses" sounds completely tone deaf at a time like this.

pfreet Mar 1, 2021 3:48 pm

At a certain point, you have to pay people or lose them to jobs in other industries. Most of American business is doing just fine right now. Would be hard for Delta to remain competitive if their executive ranks are decimated.

jalves Mar 1, 2021 3:54 pm

It seems to me that they would deserve a bonus for shepherding the airline through what is probably the most challenging times.

Seminolefan Mar 1, 2021 4:18 pm

Multiple ways to look at it. Taking government loan to help with payroll support and then paying bonuses, is a horrible look. Delta continues to ask employees for voluntary leaves to help the company out financially.

DLASflyer Mar 1, 2021 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by jalves (Post 33070537)
It seems to me that they would deserve a bonus for shepherding the airline through what is probably the most challenging times.

Maybe after the crisis. Not during.

pfreet Mar 1, 2021 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer (Post 33070614)
Maybe after the crisis. Not during.

Good in theory, however, there might not be anybody left