Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's with the Delta bus gates at SLC? A rant.

Old Feb 26, 21, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

My apologies if this has already been discussed to death. Flew FCA-SLC-MCO this week. My CRJ-900 from FCA landed at a bus gate at SLC. We had to wait for a portable metal gate to be lined up, then had to walk down the ramp outside in the cold to a bus. We were jam packed into the bus, no social distancing at all, making the deplaning theater seem kinda ridiculous. Then a long drive to the very end of the B gates. Then a long walk the entire length of the B terminal, followed by another long walk through the tunnel to the A gates. Followed by an equally long walk to the sky club, for a quick snack before walking to my gate.

Brand new airport? I was stunned. Wad this the best the SLC airport and Delta could come up with? How long will this nonsense last?
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
My apologies if this has already been discussed to death. Flew FCA-SLC-MCO this week. My CRJ-900 from FCA landed at a bus gate at SLC. We had to wait for a portable metal gate to be lined up, then had to walk down the ramp outside in the cold to a bus. We were jam packed into the bus, no social distancing at all, making the deplaning theater seem kinda ridiculous. Then a long drive to the very end of the B gates. Then a long walk the entire length of the B terminal, followed by another long walk through the tunnel to the A gates. Followed by an equally long walk to the sky club, for a quick snack before walking to my gate.

Brand new airport? I was stunned. Wad this the best the SLC airport and Delta could come up with? How long will this nonsense last?
Iím going to ask the mods to merge this post to the new SLC Airport Terminal thread (New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020)but the current bus setup is only temporary but will last until 2024 when phase 2 and the rest of the A Concourse is complete. The original plan was to leave the D and C concourse open, but SLC decided to close them early to speed up the project.
Old Feb 26, 21, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

I understand the comment, but does every conversation about SLC have to be combined with the massive two year old new SLC airport thread? Specific topics will get lost that way.

I had been trying to follow that 45-page thread, but had no idea about the bus gates until we arrived.
spongenotbob and Pocatello like this.
Old Feb 26, 21, 8:18 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta GM
The original plan for the new terminal involved a phased demolition of the old terminal. When the pandemic cratered passenger traffic last year with full air traffic recovery uncertain, the airport authority decided on a new plan that called for demolishing the old terminal all at once in order to speed up full construction of the rest of the new terminal by two years and save $300 million on the project. New completion date is scheduled for December 2024 instead of early 2027.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/...-save-millions

The increased bus gates are a sign passenger traffic is recovering faster than the airport authority expected.
Old Feb 27, 21, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
I understand the comment, but does every conversation about SLC have to be combined with the massive two year old new SLC airport thread? Specific topics will get lost that way.

I had been trying to follow that 45-page thread, but had no idea about the bus gates until we arrived.
Easier than trying to search through multiple threads on same topic.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Feb 27, 21, 5:38 am

Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Are there specific gates that are bus gates? RJs only? Want to know what to expect.
Old Feb 27, 21, 5:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
Are there specific gates that are bus gates? RJs only? Want to know what to expect.
Any high numbered B gate. B1-7 are normal gates. Only RJs so far. It's not just Delta, I've seen United flights out there as well.
pfreet likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Feb 27, 21 at 5:55 am
Old Feb 27, 21, 7:05 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Any high numbered B gate. B1-7 are normal gates. Only RJs so far. It's not just Delta, I've seen United flights out there as well.
I was at SLC a couple weeks ago and walked the A and B concourses a few times to pass a three hour layover and get steps.

United has a high numbered bus B gate. Itís all the way to the left when you look at the array of bus gates. The other gates to the left are DL branded. On the right gate array, one bus B gate (the far left of the right gate array) appears to be common/generic SLC branding. The other gates to the right are DL branded.
Old Feb 27, 21, 7:19 am

Programs: DL/UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Thank you!
Old Feb 28, 21, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The bus protocol wrt COVID is a valid point.

I see no real reason why the airport could not get an extra dozen buses (or whatever the number is) in order to limit the pax on the bus w/o doing the sardine packing.

Save $300M, should be able to afford a few more buses. Hell, even rent some old school buses.

DISCLAIMER: I hate taking airport buses.
beachmouse, MSPeconomist and Spiff like this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 4:18 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
The SINGLE BEST THING that has happened to the LaGuardia expansion/rebuild has been getting rid of the bus gates. I detested them for a variety of reasons. I hate to hear that SLC is using them in any capacity. I haven't been bitten by the bus bug at SLC yet and will do what i can to avoid it.
Spiff likes this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note to self: avoid all SLC connections for the indefinite future. Don't try to seem the new terminal or visit the new SC. Avoid Utah as a destination too if at all possible.
p100a, BamaGirl and eneq like this.
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Note to self: avoid all SLC connections for the indefinite future. Don't try to seem the new terminal or visit the new SC. Avoid Utah as a destination too if at all possible.
Yes.. Avoid Utah. It's beyond overcrowded right now. Lift lines are beyond ridiculous.
Old Feb 28, 21, 5:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta GM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The National Parks in Utah are amazing but you'd probably do just as well or better going into Las Vegas. Or doing a Las Vegas-Grand Junction, CO open jaw with United or American to avoid connecting in Salt Lake City. (United's pricing in cash or miles for Gand Junction has also been a lot better than Delta's the times I've been pricing for GJT)
Old Feb 28, 21, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
we did a four-day road trip out of LAS thru several NV/UT National Parks at this time last year ... pix here and here

Search this Thread
Search Engine: