Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Best to Increase Miles in my SkyMiles account

How Best to Increase Miles in my SkyMiles account

Old Feb 26, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Both Flying Blue and Virgin are pretty promiscuous when it comes to credit card transfer partners and can have some Delta metal redemption options that can be far better values than using Skymiles. Example-mainland to Hawaii tickets with FB can be great deal though you may need to call in to find availability rather than searching on the website.
If you're primarily flying domestic flights in F, especially shorter ones, Flying Blue may also be better for getting status (30 domestic F segments a year will eventually get you SkyTeam Elite+). The BofA cobrand card also has a fairly attainable status boost, and the Accor (Fairmont) partnership also helps. It also means distance-based earning on DL.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is all good to know ... I already have the DLAmEx and am looking for non-AmEx solutions. AFAIK, you only get one AmEx sign-on bonus, so that's a non-starter. I've never paid attention to the shopping portal thing ... now's a good time to start. Many thanks for all the good info.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jsn55
This is all good to know ... I already have the DLAmEx and am looking for non-AmEx solutions. AFAIK, you only get one AmEx sign-on bonus, so that's a non-starter. I've never paid attention to the shopping portal thing ... now's a good time to start. Many thanks for all the good info.
You get one lifetime AMEX signup bonus per "color" of card (Gold vs Plat vs Reserve), and per type (personal vs business). Also, in practice "lifetime" actually works out to "about 7 years" because that's how far their lookback is. And also sometimes AMEX sends targeted offers to customers that don't have the lifetime exclusionary language (e.g. I got a Reserve signup bonus despite having previously held a Reserve card in the last 4-5 years)
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by jsn55
This is all good to know ... I already have the DLAmEx and am looking for non-AmEx solutions. .
Zorak is correct. You don't say which DL AMEX card you have but obtaining the next level up (such as Gold to Platinum) allows you to earn the initial sign-up bonuses that get you to your described earning goal in the time it takes you to make sufficient purchases (typically $3000 in spending) during the first 90 days.

Other ideas:
1) Book an air/hotel package via Delta Vacations and earn up to a 70,000 bonus Skymiles. Use Promo Code: SMBONUS Miles earned depends on the amount of your package.

2) https://www.skymilesshopping.com/p/extra-rewards.htm page shows extra bonus offers through shopping at that portal. For instance, a subscription to Motley Fool earns 9000 SkyMiles.
jsn55 likes this.

Last edited by SUPERTRAVEL; Mar 5, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you have an AmEx card that earns unrestricted MR points, even a no annual fee Everyday one, you can set your Rakuten account to earn MR points instead of cash and a decent number of times Rakuten will be a better deal than Delta's shopping portal. It doesn't matter which card you actually pay with from the Rakuten portal as long as the MR earning card is active.

I typically pay for transactions made through Rakuten with my Delta Platinum Skymiles card but save up the MR points generated via Rakuten until there's a 25% transfer bonus to Flying Blue, which generally happens for a month or so every year, rather than transferring to Delta at a 1:1 ratio.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Zorak is correct. You don't say which DL AMEX card you have but obtaining the next level up (such as Gold to Platinum) allows you to earn the initial sign-up bonuses that get you to your described earning goal in the time it takes you to make sufficient purchases (typically $3000 in spending) during the first 90 days.

Other ideas:
1) Book and air/hotel package via Delta Vacations and earn up to a 70,000 bonus Skymiles. Use Promo Code: SMBONUS Miles earned depends on the amount of your package.

2) https://www.skymilesshopping.com/p/extra-rewards.htm page shows extra bonus offers through shopping at that portal. For instance, a subscription to Motley Fool earns 9000 SkyMiles.
SUPER information! Just what I was looking for ... bits of intel to get my little brain started thinking outside the box. I think I have gold DL AmEx and if I do, I'll look into the Platinum. It would be wonderful to obtain the bonus. The DL Vacations thing is most interesting ... I don't know what Rakuten is, but you can bet I'll find out pronto. FlyerTalk is such a great platform ... THANKS to both of you!
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. If you've had the Gold DL AmEx card for less than a year, you can't upgrade to Plat, but you might be eligible to get the DL AmEx Plat credit card as a new card.

2. Pay attention to the bonus terms associated with upgrading Gold to Plat card versus applying for a new card. The terms are generally different.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
1. If you've had the Gold DL AmEx card for less than a year, you can't upgrade to Plat, but you might be eligible to get the DL AmEx Plat credit card as a new card.

2. Pay attention to the bonus terms associated with upgrading Gold to Plat card versus applying for a new card. The terms are generally different.
In my experience the best bonuses typically come from new applications as opposed to upgrades.
jsn55, MSPeconomist and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
I agree, do not upgrade. Apply for the Platinum card as a new card and once approved, cancel the old card. I don't see any reason to be paying annual fees on both.

New bonus out today, get the Platinum Skymiles Amex and get 90,000 Skymiles: https://apply.americanexpress.com/de...age_url=1#plat
jsn55 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Oh this bonus sounds wonderful. I do know that I can't "upgrade" my gold AmEx, I have to get the new platinum card ... but I thank you all for all the good advice. Now I just gotta go see when I last had the Platinum, it's been a few years I think.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:32 pm

I may be wrong, but I thought Amex changed the sign up bonuses to once per lifetime per card rather than being eligible again after so many years
jsn55 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRUXED
I may be wrong, but I thought Amex changed the sign up bonuses to once per lifetime per card rather than being eligible again after so many years
It's officially once per lifetime. Unofficially, they might give it to you again if it's been quite a few years (7 years was mentioned upthread) and they no longer have a record of it in their system.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Two related threads from the AMEX forum:

Amex lifetime is really 7 years

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I just signed up for the Delta Platinum AmEx. It's been a long time since I had that particular card. I'll report back on the points bonus, laughing or crying.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.