Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zero Airflow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Zero Airflow

Sitting on a Delta A320, about 1 hour into a 3-hour flight. “COVID-full” load.

Absolutely zero airflow from the individual air vents, close to zero airflow in the cabin. Stuffy and hot. FA “called the captain” but no change.

Not that unusual in normal times but with all the press about how very much Delta cares, come on...

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...r-safer-travel

Really?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Sitting on a Delta A320, about 1 hour into a 3-hour flight. “COVID-full” load.

Absolutely zero airflow from the individual air vents, close to zero airflow in the cabin. Stuffy and hot. FA “called the captain” but no change.

Not that unusual in normal times but with all the press about how very much Delta cares, come on...

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...r-safer-travel

Really?
The air vents aren't what controls air circulation. They could all be closed and the air will circulate, just not blow directly on you.
downinit, BigFishDave and Hepsaint like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Strange, I've never seen that (normal times or COVID times). Sounds like a serious malfunction.

I don't think it's intentional attempt to promote spread
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The air vents aren't what controls air circulation. They could all be closed and the air will circulate, just not blow directly on you.
I know, but this is a very hot & stuffy cabin right now. Trust me, this is not typical for an A320.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Are you being de-iced?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:03 pm

about 1 hour into a 3-hour flight.
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Are you being de-iced?
I sure hope not!!!
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Are you being de-iced?
At 37,000 feet, I hope not
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

And at at 1:30 mark we suddenly have good airflow. Not through the individual vents but the general cabin airflow is working as expected.

Either they fixed something, or someone from the Delta social media team is really, really good...
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Saw the thread title and assumed it was about a 737. I've never heard of this issue on any other airframe.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:24 pm

And at at 1:30 mark we suddenly have good airflow. Not through the individual vents but the general cabin airflow is working as expected.

Either they fixed something, or someone from the Delta social media team is really, really good...
Haha, I assume it was the former. Great to hear!
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
If fresh air is not flying into the cabin then it can not be pressurized and/or will lose pressurization if already in flight.

My first thought was that an air duct, leading to the eyeball vents in your area, had come detached. In such a case, the air is still moving, it's just not coming out of the affected vents. Generally, that won't fix itself in-flight, though.

I've never flown Airbus aircraft so don't know the logic for bleeds vs. recirc fans and if there are situations were the recirc fans would be off. That would reduce the airflow from the vents but might actually increase the amount of fresh air entering the cabin.
enviroian and spongenotbob like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
FA “called the captain” but no change.
I always like this reply.... as if the captain can control everything. Yeah, he was flying the plane but he just set the cruise control and is now swapping an air handler blower motor. I think FAs just instinctively say that. Realistically, things break and when they do I'm just happy it's not a wing or an engine
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
I always like this reply.... as if the captain can control everything. Yeah, he was flying the plane but he just set the cruise control and is now swapping an air handler blower motor. I think FAs just instinctively say that. Realistically, things break and when they do I'm just happy it's not a wing or an engine
That's a ridiculous strawman argument. No one said the captain can control everything and obviously they aren't replacing motors. It's very unlikely that anything was actually broken. Almost certainly a setting needed to be adjusted or a system needed to be reset. The captain and co-pilot absolutely can and do take care of those things regularly. And I assure you they don't have to turn on "cruise control" first because the auto-pilot was already engaged, it almost always is during level flight
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
That's a ridiculous strawman argument. No one said the captain can control everything and obviously they aren't replacing motors. It's very unlikely that anything was actually broken. Almost certainly a setting needed to be adjusted or a system needed to be reset. The captain and co-pilot absolutely can and do take care of those things regularly. And I assure you they don't have to turn on "cruise control" first because the auto-pilot was already engaged, it almost always is during level flight
Good grief. If the message didn't convey a non-serious tone, the smile at the end should have.
mtofell, mrspilot and Yellowjj like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 7:13 am

Sounds clearly like a mechanical malfunction, but not the kind of safety-related malfunction that will ground a plane. I would view it as a rare inconvenience and nothing more. The average DL A320 has been in service for 24.8 years, so these types of issues are inevitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.