Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GROKUR acronym?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

GROKUR acronym?

Delta rep used this acronym, GROKUR, and since I had just pointed out his erro (saying an open ticket is the same as an ecredit, and trying to charge me a fare difference) I couldn't now admit I didn't know what an acronym stood for, so I just rolled with it. Anybody know?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Delta rep used this acronym, GROKUR, and since I had just pointed out his erro (saying an open ticket is the same as an ecredit, and trying to charge me a fare difference) I couldn't now admit I didn't know what an acronym stood for, so I just rolled with it. Anybody know?
Probably a code word for passengers who like to point out errors
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There may be circumstances where an OPEN ticket allows changes without a fare difference being charged (for example, when a weather waiver is in place and within the terms of the waiver). Any they may allow some flexibility in the case of schedule changes. But simply because it has OPEN status does not guarantee you can change it without paying fare differences.
Mr. Tickets likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 24, 2021 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Delta rep used this acronym, GROKUR, and since I had just pointed out his erro (saying an open ticket is the same as an ecredit, and trying to charge me a fare difference)
Originally Posted by xliioper
There may be circumstances where an OPEN ticket allows changes without a fare difference being charged (for example, when a weather waiver is in place and within the terms of the waiver). Any they may allow some flexibility in the case of schedule changes. But simply because it has OPEN status does not guarantee you can change it without paying fare differences.
Have no clue about GROKUR (maybe that's a record locator for your reservation?)

"Open" when used in the context of ticketing relates to the status of the coupons (e-tickets still have coupons!) and simply means the ticket or specific coupons have been used for travel, exchanged for a new ticket, refunded, etc. Once flown, the system will show the coupons as "Used". In this context, an "open" ticket is a form of e-credit that can be exchanged for a new ticket.

"Open" when referring to an itinerary suggests that one is holding a valid ticket but has not yet confirmed the date of travel. Very few, if any fare rules (particularly on US domestic itineraries) permit open ticket sales. Back when pricing was less dyamic (predates my time), it was possible to purchase tickets with an open return, such that your travel was paid for, and you'd just call the airline/travel agent to make a reservation when you wanted to come home. Most fares sold today require confirmed space reservations and changes have to meet more restrictive fare rules. Sometimes changes can be made without additional cost, but truly "open" tickets with respect to travel flexibility are rare. I believe DL used to allow open returns on frequent flyer awards in the very early days of the original program as well.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Probably a code word for passengers who like to point out errors
I was so tempted to say that yesterday, even tried sounding it out in my head to see if it stood for something. I recall a friend who worked a call center would give difficult customers acronyms. If you ever been called a Treasured Guest in Disney, trust me they don't treasure you.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Have no clue about GROKUR (maybe that's a record locator for your reservation?) ...
that was my first thought

see the "Talking PNRs" thread in TravelBuzz for some amusing ones; I'll be adding to it in a couple weeks after I fly one that doesn't go where the letters say it goes
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
An open ticket is really a ticket that has not been used or reissued (the coupons do not show flown). It is pretty much the same as an ecredit in most cases. You can't fly on an open ticket, it must be reissued to reflect specific flights, dates and class of service. It does not mean that you do not need to pay any fare difference, unless it is involved with a sked change or weather waiver, etc. where you are entitled to an "even exchange" of sorts. But again, even that ticket will be reissued except in some cases where it can be revalidated.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Feb 24, 2021 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

"Open" when referring to an itinerary suggests that one is holding a valid ticket but has not yet confirmed the date of travel. Very few, if any fare rules (particularly on US domestic itineraries) permit open ticket sales. Back when pricing was less dyamic (predates my time), it was possible to purchase tickets with an open return, such that your travel was paid for, and you'd just call the airline/travel agent to make a reservation when you wanted to come home. Most fares sold today require confirmed space reservations and changes have to meet more restrictive fare rules. Sometimes changes can be made without additional cost, but truly "open" tickets with respect to travel flexibility are rare. I believe DL used to allow open returns on frequent flyer awards in the very early days of the original program as well.
Yes, rare, and basically never done anymore, but I do in fact have an "open ticket" as opposed to an "open" ticket, valid until 2023.
I've been around long enough to remember when they were rare but not this rare, and after figuring out what I really did have he said "GROKUR will have to be manually entered" and had to get someone higher than him to do it.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
An open ticket is really a ticket that has not been used or reissued (the coupons do not show flown). It is pretty much the same as an ecredit in most cases. You can't fly on an open ticket, it must be reissued to reflect specific flights, dates and class of service. It does not mean that you do not need to pay any fare difference, unless it is involved with a sked change or weather waiver, etc. where you are entitled to an "even exchange" of sorts. But again, even that ticket will be reissued except in some cases where it can be revalidated.
Yes, this, correct.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Yes, rare, and basically never done anymore, but I do in fact have an "open ticket" as opposed to an "open" ticket, valid until 2023
"Open" dates of travel, meaning you can pick travel dates with no change in fare for travel through 2023, or an "Open" in the sense you can reuse the ticket at prevailing fares through 2023? If the former, congrats!
Old Feb 24, 2021, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

"Open" dates of travel, meaning you can pick travel dates with no change in fare for travel through 2023, or an "Open" in the sense you can reuse the ticket at prevailing fares through 2023? If the former, congrats!
The former, as long it's main cabin (except until 2023 not through 2023). Record locator might be the right answer. It's not my record locator, but mine does have a G and U in it and maybe spellchecker got him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.