Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
I think they cut you off for the right reason [re 4 Coors Light]
LMAO.
Gertjaars likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone in the SC questions whether one should have more alcohol, I'd be concerned that any questioning or arguing would risk that someone from the SC would notify the GA and one would be at risk of being denied boarding.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If someone in the SC questions whether one should have more alcohol, I'd be concerned that any questioning or arguing would risk that someone from the SC would notify the GA and one would be at risk of being denied boarding.
Definitely wouldn't question, as you say you run the risk of them notifying the gate agent or crew, back in the UK and Ireland, you pour yourself, but maybe Delta should impose limits rather then maybe a SkyClub bar person cutting you off at say 3 drinks like the OP which can be embarrassing. On a side note on a short Dub-LHR flight, 50 minutes, have been served two glasses of wine up in the sky.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:24 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I don't understand why people get so offended when they get cut off. You may know your limits but the FA/bartender does not. They don't want to risk you being denied boarding or driving once you land or whatever else.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Another reason why

Self Service Bar > Manned bar
BigFishDave, rylan, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by realjd
My flight was delayed 50 minutes so I decided to grab some drinks at the ATL T Sky Club. I ordered 3 rum and Cokes over the past hour, and the bartender told me after my 3rd that I was cut off. She said “there’s only so much we’re allowed to serve”. I can’t find anything online about anyone else being cut off. I’m quiet and reading and not causing any trouble.

This was going to be my last one anyway, so no hard feelings at all. I’m just curious if Delta has some new policy or something.
There may also be local liquor laws which come into play but a lot comes down to judgment on the employee's part. Many airline employees seem to be on the watch for unruly behavior and taking active steps to reduce alcohol consumption, either on their own or as interpretation of some company communication. Regardless, the customer is in a weak position to argue.

Over the years I've seen people cut off both on board and in a club lounge, usually they don't handle it well and end up getting a lot of people involved. Once I saw the guy denied boarding. Glad to hear no hard feelings on your part!
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've never been cut off at the Sky Club or the plane, but I've certainly asked a flight attendant to cut off the passenger next to me when he kept asking inappropriate questions and creeping me out. She didn't end up having to cut him off as he fell asleep on the taxi out and slept the entire way to Indianapolis.

I have for the very first time in flying Delta for 20+ years been told I can only take one drink at a time when I ordered a glass of wine and a vodka soda for me an the significant other. I pointed at my significant other in the club but the bartender wouldn't budge. She said she can only give me one drink. This was at LGA Sky Club last month. Ridiculous that I had to order one drink, take it to our seat, then get back in line and order the second. She received no tips that day from me. We don't like both going to the bar because we like someone to stay with our luggage, so this "rule" is pretty dumb and thank god it's rarely "enforced".
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once I boarded a KLM TATL flight in WBC to find a (Dutch, apparently) guy in my aisle seat instead of his window seat. He was aggressively adamant about switching with me for the window seat, but I refused. I think the FA noticed. Next step was that he spilled a glass of orange juice on my seat (deliberately it seemed, but I have no proof of this) and though that this would require a seat swap, but the FA exchanges the seat cushions instead. Before takeoff he passed out and stayed passed out throughout the flight. At least he wasn't constantly trying to climb out, nor did he vomit or urinate in his seat. After landing, cabin crew had to rouse him to leave the aircraft. I still wonder how much alcohol would be required to make a tall middle-aged guy pass out for eight hours. I can only assume that (at least most of) the alcohol was consumed in a KLM lounge at AMS and somehow the lounge didn't notice, nor did the GA or FAs, at least before departure. He didn't cause trouble, but IMO he would have been unable to get himself out of the aircraft in an emergency, although with the window seat, he wouldn't have blocked anyone else's access to an exit.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I have for the very first time in flying Delta for 20+ years been told I can only take one drink at a time when I ordered a glass of wine and a vodka soda for me an the significant other. I pointed at my significant other in the club but the bartender wouldn't budge. She said she can only give me one drink. This was at LGA Sky Club last month. Ridiculous that I had to order one drink, take it to our seat, then get back in line and order the second. She received no tips that day from me. We don't like both going to the bar because we like someone to stay with our luggage, so this "rule" is pretty dumb and thank god it's rarely "enforced".
Opposite experience at LGA SC in early Dec. I ordered 2 drinks and no problem. Both were for me! Like you, I don’t like leaving my stuff unattended, especially in a big busy club, plus I was seated far away and I’m lazy . I can’t believe there’s a local liquor law in New York that says you can’t order two drinks at once. In CT, where I grew up, I believe there was a law that said you couldn’t have two drinks in front of you at the bar. Or maybe that was DC, I can’t recall now.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
I was cut off at the MKE SkyClub last year, first and only time. I didn’t think I’d been over-served, but I was pretty embarrassed! He actually told me “I need to see you eat something” ha!

I’ve definitely overindulged before flights and don’t enjoy it.

I agree with the majority of poster, no good can come of discussing the situation with the bartender, stakes are too high.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by catlike
I was cut off at the MKE SkyClub last year, first and only time. I didn’t think I’d been over-served, but I was pretty embarrassed! He actually told me “I need to see you eat something” ha!
All Spotted Cow and no cheese makes a something something. Loved Spotted Cow on tap there. Views were terrible, empty tarmac. To borrow from the SEA Centurion Lounge, this is a "boutique" SkyClub, right? Were you sitting at the bar? Or coming back for a refill every several minutes?
krazykanuck likes this.

Last edited by dtwlarry; Jan 18, 2022 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dtwlarry
All Spotted Cow and no cheese makes a something something. Loved Spotted Cow on tap there. Views were terrible, empty tarmac. To borrow from SEA, this is a "boutique" SkyClub, right? Were you sitting at the bar? Or coming back for a refill every several minutes?
Yes “boutique” skyclub, in fact I was in one of the work cubicle click-clacking on my laptop for several hours getting service from the waitresses out of sight of the bar. They had disappeared for a while so I sauntered up to the bar for a refill, I can only assume he was keeping track of my orders.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President Circle.
Did you tip your bartender? Tipping usually has a good effect on bartenders and the drinks will keep on flowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.