Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Mileage Accrual | Bought on DL but flew on KE metal

Old Feb 15, 21, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM | 1 Million Miler

I usually fly on DL Metal from ICN -> DTW -> BOS, but this time I wanted to try out KE. So this time I bought a B fare and used my GUC to get upgraded to KEís Prestige Class. The flight was on Feb 5th and just yesterday my account activity says my most recent flight is 0 MQM, 0 MQD, Reason Code: N
N - This reason code means that this segment status is:

Activity is not eligible for mileage credit

Iíve called Delta and I gave them my original ticket number where it was a B fare prior to using my GUC. The DL employee said she submitted my ticket information to mileage credit department and now Iím at the mercy of their decision. Which to me, if I think about it logically, I bought a DL ticket and it should be ok... right?

Has anybody had experiences like this? Did you eventually get your mileage? Iím not so much concerned about my MQMís, but more so with my MQDís since thatís the hardest requirement for me to meet all the time. I had a $1900 ticket one way where I would love to apply to my account. I have never had a problem if I fly on KLM.

KEís direct flight is a huge convenience for me because I get home on my couch by 10:30am vs 4:00pm if I fly on DL metal.

Thank you for reading. Looking forward to any responses.
Old Feb 15, 21, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that when you used the GUC to upgrade, the flight was rebooked into O class, which normally is ("free") award inventory class on KE. This causes DL's computers to see it as an award ticket, rather than an expensive coach ticket that was upgraded. You should be able to get correct credit for the flight, but it might require some persistence.
mfong likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My guess is that when you used the GUC to upgrade, the flight was rebooked into O class, which normally is ("free") award inventory class on KE. This causes DL's computers to see it as an award ticket, rather than an expensive coach ticket that was upgraded. You should be able to get correct credit for the flight, but it might require some persistence.
Thank you for the assurance. You are so right about persistence. I love flying with Delta, but itís sometimes difficult to get the experienced ticket agent. Sometimes my employer would buy a Q, K, or M fare and then I would personally buy a B fare so I get the priority and MQD. However Iíve had a some instances where the employee had no idea how to upgrade it to a B fare. It would take me a few calls to get it correct.

Iíll keep asking them for my mileage credit. Thank you for your response.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta DM 2+MM
mfong, same thing happened to me as described by MSPeconomist. I flew on Air France and was rebooked in O class. I called Delta Customer Care 800-455-2720 and they fixed it -- while on the phone. Have your original and any other receipts also so you can give them all the information they may need. You would think your original ticket number should suffice, but depending on the quality of agent, you may need to provide more information and persistence. Good luck.
mfong and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lking View Post
mfong, same thing happened to me as described by MSPeconomist. I flew on Air France and was rebooked in O class. I called Delta Customer Care 800-455-2720 and they fixed it -- while on the phone. Have your original and any other receipts also so you can give them all the information they may need. You would think your original ticket number should suffice, but depending on the quality of agent, you may need to provide more information and persistence. Good luck.
Sweet. Thank you for your feedback.

So I thought I had the same ticket number, but I was wrong. When you make changes to your ticket like you and I did, the ticket number changes. I will call back in a few days.

With this being said, I will fly back to ICN via KE again. I will have to be prepared to call them to make sure I get my credit.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mfong View Post
Thank you for the assurance. You are so right about persistence. I love flying with Delta, but it’s sometimes difficult to get the experienced ticket agent. Sometimes my employer would buy a Q, K, or M fare and then I would personally buy a B fare so I get the priority and MQD. However I’ve had a some instances where the employee had no idea how to upgrade it to a B fare. It would take me a few calls to get it correct.

I’ll keep asking them for my mileage credit. Thank you for your response.
DL does not have a fee waiver policy if you are up-faring to the same class of service. Fee waiver only applies when up-faring to a higher class of service. I suspect in many cases upfaring to a discount F/J fare would be cheaper than to a B.
Old Feb 15, 21, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat
FWIW, I used to often have a headache with DL miles on MU metal (never on KE, but I never upgraded as you did).

What worked for me at the end of day was to relax, use the automated mile request system,wait for it to reject me a week later, then call in.
mfong likes this.
Old Feb 15, 21, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
DL does not have a fee waiver policy if you are up-faring to the same class of service. Fee waiver only applies when up-faring to a higher class of service. I suspect in many cases upfaring to a discount F/J fare would be cheaper than to a B.
So the reason why I do a B fare is so I can get the bonus MQM. Even though for my situation now, Iím more interested in MQD however it doesnít hurt to keep piling on the MQMs.

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
FWIW, I used to often have a headache with DL miles on MU metal (never on KE, but I never upgraded as you did).

What worked for me at the end of day was to relax, use the automated mile request system,wait for it to reject me a week later, then call in.
Thank you for your kind comment. I will relax, Iím so use to seeing it clear within hours of my flight ending so youíre right I was freaking out. I always think worst case scenario where I wonít get any credit, however I need to relax like you said and use their system to get credit.
Old Feb 15, 21, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mfong View Post
So the reason why I do a B fare is so I can get the bonus MQM. Even though for my situation now, Iím more interested in MQD however it doesnít hurt to keep piling on the MQMs.

Thank you for your kind comment. I will relax, Iím so use to seeing it clear within hours of my flight ending so youíre right I was freaking out. I always think worst case scenario where I wonít get any credit, however I need to relax like you said and use their system to get credit.
If you buy up to any premium cabin fare, including discounted PS, you earn those extra MQMs. However, check the particular rules for your ticket as partner flights can earn at different rates (IIRC I saw 140% rather than 150% MQMs for some premium economy tickets).
Old Feb 15, 21, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If you buy up to any premium cabin fare, including discounted PS, you earn those extra MQMs. However, check the particular rules for your ticket as partner flights can earn at different rates (IIRC I saw 140% rather than 150% MQMs for some premium economy tickets).
Iíll go look right now on Deltaís website. Iím so set in my ways that I automatically go right for the B fare ticket. Remember back in the day when M fares were like B fares? I miss that lol
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: