Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you rather have BIS or MQM count towards Million Miler status?

Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

It's been on my mind for a while. What are your thoughts?
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:34 am

Considering you have to reach 2MM to get anything meaningful, MQMs for sure.
CPMaverick and gretchendz like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eneq
Considering you have to reach 2MM to get anything meaningful, MQMs for sure.
I don't disagree with you there, but it would be nice for award tickets to count towards the goal.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MQM seems to be more in line with status requiring MQMs or MQSs and MQDs or the waiver (except for the foreign address waiver).
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by greycap7
I don't disagree with you there, but it would be nice for award tickets to count towards the goal.
I’ll gladly keep the MQMs I get from AmEx spend and class of service bonuses counting towards MM status over the handful of times I take an award flight and don’t earn any MQMs for it.

And you can still have your miles help towards the goal by using Pay-With-Miles to buy the ticket (and thus still earn MQMs) or after buying a ticket, use miles to buy up to a premium cabin via the buy-up offer, which again will earn the class of service bonus MQMs.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’ll gladly keep the MQMs I get from AmEx spend and class of service bonuses counting towards MM status over the handful of times I take an award flight and don’t earn any MQMs for it.

And you can still have your miles help towards the goal by using Pay-With-Miles to buy the ticket (and thus still earn MQMs) or after buying a ticket, use miles to buy up to a premium cabin via the buy-up offer, which again will earn the class of service bonus MQMs.
this. as SM devaluations continue, cash ticket/mileage UG is looking to be my go-to for using miles.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This is a no-brainer... MQM... there are so many ways to earn extra MQM (fare class bonuses, credit cards, etc) plus partner flights count towards it.

As an alternative example, United's million miler program is much harder to earn because it has to be on United metal and it's BIS miles only. Of course, on the flip side, United's MM program is much more generous.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
They should add NRSA miles as well, with COS bonuses!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
They should add NRSA miles as well, with COS bonuses!
Before this happens, award tickets should earn MQMs/MQSs and tickets upgraded with miles (mileage upgrade award) or certs should earn the MQMs of the higher cabin, i.e., 150% for any coach ticket that's upgraded to D1 with a GUC.
Ryno1234 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I think of BIS, I don't think of award flights. But that's what you mean here? I think of BIS as the most selective set - no multipliers, no award flights, no comped tickets, etc.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
MQMs for sure. A loit of people get MQMs through Am Ex spend and I do a lot of short hauls that are under 500 BIS but will count as 500 MQM's and not to mention first class tickets have the multiplier.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
MQMs.

Considering how insignificant the tier awards are, it might as well be easier to get them. That, and the fact that the status is now "annual complimentary" rather than lifetime.

From someone who has earned 1MM, 2MM and 3MM status under every variation of the rules that DL has ever offered.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
MQMs.

Considering how insignificant the tier awards are, it might as well be easier to get them. That, and the fact that the status is now "annual complimentary" rather than lifetime.

From someone who has earned 1MM, 2MM and 3MM status under every variation of the rules that DL has ever offered.
Oh come on....your now annual complimentary line implies that it is something new. How long has it been? 15 years? Longer? Clearly, we know what they are saying but practically nothing has changed in that regard. I agree, Delta doesn't place enough value in MM+ status'.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by indufan
Oh come on....your now annual complimentary line implies that it is something new. How long has it been? 15 years? Longer? Clearly, we know what they are saying but practically nothing has changed in that regard. I agree, Delta doesn't place enough value in MM+ status'.
No, I do not mean to imply that the annual complementary is new. Actually it has been around at least 17 years. How time flies.

My point is that the "annual complementary" is there for a reason, so that it can be discontinued at a DL management whim.

And perhaps that is not such a significant point. "Lifetime" in the DL management vernacular is not all that different from "annual complementary."

Ask any Flying Colonel who was promised "lifetime" Crown Room membership.

BTW... didn't PT used to require 5MM? When, or did, that change? Not that I am aspiring to the next "prestigious" milestone.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've seen examples of what can happen when airlines use the word "lifetime" and then change the benefits of the program at a later point (hello United). This seems the far more rational explanation (avoiding lawsuits from people when they change status benefits) than the notion there is some dastardly plan to simply eliminate the program on a "whim". Let's be real, the program costs DL very little because if you aren't flying enough to earn status via normal requirements, you are also not consuming much in the way of the benefits in many cases. Simply ending it would not only cause enormous bad blood with those who have already attained it, but also with those who are currently working their way towards MM status. Not going to happen.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 12, 2021 at 3:16 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.