Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Best to Burn Sky Miles(First Class Sleeper...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million

Hello...Hoping you can advise...
I have some Membership Miles that I want to burn within the 60 days or so. My goals are to fly first class on a long domestic flight (transcon preferably, but ATL to SLC could work) with a sleeper seat that is both an aisle and a window seat, as I value privacy.
I'm seeing the DL 767-400 on the ATL-SLC route. Are there other routes and/or DL aircraft that would meet might goals?
Thank you in advance...Have not flown DL for several years so your advice is appreciated!

Last edited by AAJetMan; Feb 7, 2021 at 11:48 am
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Someone posted on another thread this Delta Cargo schedule which specifies which routes monthly have wide bodies, what type of aircraft, and how many days per week. Hit CTRL-F in the PDF and type the airport you're interested in, and you'll be able to find relevant routes (just look for routes on Page 6). Here is a screenshot from the February schedule.

Note that Delta.com may market them as First Class, rather than DeltaOne, on non DeltaOne routes and the aircraft type/seat map online will confirm that you'll have a lie flat. If you're looking at the next 60 days, the routes seem to be pretty set, so use this file to identify the route and aircraft you're interested in and then search Delta.com to confirm the plane will be operating on that route on that day that far out. Schedule changes through roughly April 11 have been pushed out as of this weekend. Anything after that may still change.

You may also find this thread to be helpful: Domestic Wide-Body Opportunities: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Hello...Hoping you can advise...
I have some Membership Miles that I want to burn within the 60 days or so. My goals are to fly first class on a long domestic flight (transcon preferably, but ATL to SLC could work) with a sleeper seat that is both an aisle and a window seat, as I value privacy.
I'm seeing the DL 767-400 on the ATL-SLC route. Are there other routes and/or DL aircraft that would meet might goals?
Thank you in advance...Have not flown DL for several years so your advice is appreciated!
On Saturdays, DL runs an A350 each way between ATL and LAX. LAX-ATL departs in the morning out of LAX; ATL-LAX departs in the evening. Note that the only way to get the A350 both ways is to start in LAX on Saturday morning, fly to ATL on the A350 on LAX-ATL and then get the A350 back on ATL-LAX. You can't get it both ways going ATL-LAX-ATL.

PHX is another market that is seeing a lot of widebody service right now, with widebody/lie-flat service to both ATL and MSP. It's not uncommon for PHX to see domestic widebody service from DL this time of year but it's seeing a higher number of 767-300s and A330s than usual.

MCO is also seeing a glut of widebodies to ATL and MSP, though ATL-MCO isn't exactly a long flight.

Of note, if you're not tracking, f]DL in F right now, especially on long flights, is not going to be as enjoyable as it was pre-COVID due to extreme lack of service, if you're also looking for service. No meals and limited drink options. At most, you'll get a snackbox if the flight is long enough, and beer and wine. There are rumors full drink service may becoming back soon but this is just a rumor, as far as I know and I have not seen anything official.

If you want a really long flight and more full service, ATL-HNL is an option though there's Hawaii entry requirements to contend with.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful! Thank you ATOBTTR! Not too concerned about in-flight service, although no meal would be a disappointmen on 3+ hours in first. Good to know!
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Great table!!! Thank you TARDYTURTLE!
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Very helpful! Thank you ATOBTTR! Not too concerned about in-flight service, although no meal would be a disappointmen on 3+ hours in first. Good to know!
Just so that you are fully aware, it isn't just just a lack of meal onboard, but DL isn't even serving ice, coffee or soft drinks at all so if you get thirsty during your flight, your sole options will be warm water, beer, or wine... nothing else.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
Just so that you are fully aware, it isn't just just a lack of meal onboard, but DL isn't even serving ice, coffee or soft drinks at all so if you get thirsty during your flight, your sole options will be warm water, beer, or wine... nothing else.
YIKES!! Good to know! Thank you fly747first.
fly747first likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by fly747first
And you really shouldn't be doing non-essential travel during the middle of a pandemic. Just saying.
Steve007NY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.