Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency status match to AA/UA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Emergency status match to AA/UA?

If Delta doesn't lower the status requirements is anyone else thinking of doing a status match in the latter part of the year to get status on AA or UA (assuming there is such a thing)? I'm Diamond now, but at best, with current levels will end up Gold on DL. Very little chance of Platinum. I may not be able to match to UA because I am Silver through Marriott (doh!).

Thoughts?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
If Delta doesn't lower the status requirements is anyone else thinking of doing a status match in the latter part of the year to get status on AA or UA (assuming there is such a thing)? I'm Diamond now, but at best, with current levels will end up Gold on DL. Very little chance of Platinum. I may not be able to match to UA because I am Silver through Marriott (doh!).

Thoughts?
AA doesn't have a status match - they have a status challenge and even that is only to AA Gold (equivalent to DL Silver) and AA Platinum (equivalent to DL Gold).
Info available in this thread, including the Wiki:
HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Given the decreased elite status requirement numbers for AA, you may be better off making such a decision soon - you could get to Platinum Pro (equivalent to DL Platinum) for only 60K EQMs and $7K in EQDs and Executive Platinum for only 80K EQMs and $12K in EQDs this year, as well as a CC spend waiver this year for AA GLD, AA PLT, and AA PLT Pro.
All info here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp

I do have to say: the use of the term "emergency" in the thread title is kind of amusing.
"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"
"Hi, I had top tier Diamond Medallion status on DL but could only make it to mid-tier Gold Medallion this year. I'm wondering if I can get an immediate emergency status match to an equivalent top level tier on either AA or UA."
DiverDave, HDQDD, Presguy and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM
An emergency? Wow. The average FTer is so incredibly out of touch.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Thoughts?
Seems like the place to ask about another airline's status matches would be in the other airline's forum...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...021-terms.html

I don't know if they've changed this with the new PQP stuff, but I can say that a few years ago I did a challenge with UA and was not prevented from doing so by having UA Silver via Marriott.
fly747first likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
AA doesn't have a status match - they have a status challenge and even that is only to AA Gold (equivalent to DL Silver) and AA Platinum (equivalent to DL Gold).
Info available in this thread, including the Wiki:
HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum Status Challenge

Given the decreased elite status requirement numbers for AA, you may be better off making such a decision soon - you could get to Platinum Pro (equivalent to DL Platinum) for only 60K EQMs and $7K in EQDs and Executive Platinum for only 80K EQMs and $12K in EQDs this year, as well as a CC spend waiver this year for AA GLD, AA PLT, and AA PLT Pro.
All info here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ite-status.jsp

I do have to say: the use of the term "emergency" in the thread title is kind of amusing.
"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"
"Hi, I had top tier Diamond Medallion status on DL but could only make it to mid-tier Gold Medallion this year. I'm wondering if I can get an immediate emergency status match to an equivalent top level tier on either AA or UA."
Thank you - super helpful.

Definitely not ready to jump ship yet though - would MUCH rather stay with DL and see if they reduce status requirements. Won't be ready to do this until August or September at the earliest.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Seems like the place to ask about another airline's status matches would be in the other airline's forum...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...021-terms.html

I don't know if they've changed this with the new PQP stuff, but I can say that a few years ago I did a challenge with UA and was not prevented from doing so by having UA Silver via Marriott.
I only want to status match as an absolute last resort though - so this is more of a feeler to see if anyone is thinking the same way... and wouldn't do anything until the last minute... very loyal to delta and have 8 GUCs now (assuming the most recent ones posted)...

And thanks for the info re: your UA silver not precluding you - that is good to know.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Unlike DL, you can't charge your way to a waiver on the spend portion of the qualification for UA. Also, UA no longer cares about the distance you fly.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If DL's routes and schedule work for you, I don't see much reason to leave for UA or AA. (Unless you really really care about onboard meal service, in which case AA is the current domestic leader).
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Talking

Frankly, I think UA has a crazy program after the new changes. As for AA, you can pay for a challenge to Gold or Platinum as others posted, but something you have to be aware of is that on AA, only Platinum Pro and above get complimentary upgrades meaning that if you only make it to Platinum, you will be paying $40 for each 500-mile upgrade whilst DL and UA provide all elites space-available upgrades. The exception would be a flight under 500 miles--AA provides free upgrades to all its elites on such short segments.

Originally Posted by TXguy
An emergency? Wow. The average FTer is so incredibly out of touch.
And as always, you have to be the voice of criticism. We are so lucky to have you!
Old Feb 7, 2021, 10:17 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As the question was answered, we can close this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.