Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

Translantic Business Class DL A330 versus AF 350

Old Jan 16, 21, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Looking at booking an August trip to Croatia and the long haul options on DL ticket stock are those 2 aircraft. Would one be preferred on the overnight? Thanks in advance...

P.S. Why isn't DL flying any of the "New Interior" out of ATL to CDG or AMS?
Old Jan 16, 21, 7:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
AF has better catering. Seat configurations I'd say are equal outside of DL's dreadful old 767.
thenamesabe likes this.
Old Jan 17, 21, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If by "new interior" you mean the A330neo's (although they use A350's on TATL routes, they are primarily intended for TPAC and ultra long-haul), I believe they have slowed the neo delivery schedule with Airbus and will only have 8 total in service in 2021. The neo's were also intended for some of the west coast TPAC flights. At this point, they are only flying SEA-AMS/ICN and JFK-AMS/TLV with AMS serving as a pivot point. The mini suites aren't really that drastic of an improvement over existing A330-300 seats. Also, the A330's being shown may just be placeholders at this point until it is closer to flights. The summer schedule is likely to change considerably at this point. There's probably a good chance there will be continuing A350 subs on TATL flights into the summer if TPAC demand doesn't improve substantially.
Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 17, 21 at 12:20 pm
Old Jan 17, 21, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
The mini suites aren't really that drastic of an improvement over existing A330-300 seats.
I disagree. I think the D1 product on the A330-900 is the nicest D1 seat in the fleet and a dramatic improvement over the very tired A330-200/300 D1 seat.

I gather the old seat is better for large people to sleep in. I'm not a large person and I go out of my way to avoid the old seat
Old Jan 17, 21, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there still any longhaul AF aircraft that don't have 100% direct aisle access in business class? If so, I would avoid AF.
Old Jan 17, 21, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Are there still any longhaul AF aircraft that don't have 100% direct aisle access in business class? If so, I would avoid AF.
Old 777s still on CDG-SCL with 2-3-2
Newish 330s with 2-2-2 lieflat and good IFE

Best alternative is DL metal with AF codes so you earn tons of MQDs
Old Jan 17, 21, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
AF has better catering. Seat configurations I'd say are equal outside of DL's dreadful old 767.
I would tend to agree until Delta starts offering full service again I would stay on AF.
Old Jan 17, 21, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I would take AF over DL business class in pretty much any case (unless it's the old angle-flat biz which I think is mostly gone anyway).

Generally much better food and service. Even before COVID, D1 catering was declining rapidly (both my TPAC flights in 2019 had terrible food). Only advantage that DL has is better Wifi.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jan 17, 21 at 6:07 pm
Old Jan 18, 21, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
In a “normal” time, I would choose AF due to the excellent food/drink/service....however

-Transferring in CDG can be a problem depending on how much time you have
-On a hunch, if you are a US citizen, you may be better off sticking with a US airline if vaccine/testing documentation is required then.
Old Jan 18, 21, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NoleATL View Post
Looking at booking an August trip to Croatia and the long haul options on DL ticket stock are those 2 aircraft. Would one be preferred on the overnight? Thanks in advance...

P.S. Why isn't DL flying any of the "New Interior" out of ATL to CDG or AMS?
This would largely depend on what you value the most. Though AF is far more creative with J meals, I personally find the D1 meals to be tastier. AF doesn't have individual air vents like DL does so its cabins are normally kept fairly hot which I hate on long flights. In my opinion, the AF J amenity kits are a joke compared to the much nicer DL Tumi ones. Crew are fairly inconsistent on both airlines--I find DL's crews to be unpolished but friendly (however, when you get a bad crew from the former NW they are absolutely the worst) whilst AF's crews are more polished yet sometimes they can be quite rude to pax who don't speak French perfectly and other times they are super sweet and caring (last year, on a CDG MIA flight, I got a horrible migraine onboard and the lovely lady working on my aisle even put ice on my head after she saw I was in extreme pain).
Old Jan 23, 21, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all... ended up going over on DL and return on AF. The latter because of flight times... we didn't want to be waking up at 3:30am to get to the DL flight.
Old Jan 24, 21, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoleATL View Post
Thanks all... ended up going over on DL and return on AF. The latter because of flight times... we didn't want to be waking up at 3:30am to get to the DL flight.
And your comparison?

Search this Thread