Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compl. upgrade list processing on intl. flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM

Hi,

I flew CUN-JFK, DL operated, last week and had an interesting experience (that ended well). I was #1/2 on the UG list for complimentary upgrades, and had checked in online.
When at the airport, not yet at the gate, I was looking at the upgrade list I all of a sudden saw that #2 and #3 had cleared into 9A and 9J, and I hadn't, leaving me as #1 for 0 seats.
I went to the gate (prior to boarding had commenced) and they said "we called you because we need to check your passport / do a doc-check and you didn't come. We couldn't give the upgrade till we do the doc-check"

I told them I was there, showed my docs, the 2 GAs went back and forth and printed me a boarding pass for 8J, and said "we saved you the seat". The plane left with two first seats open, but the FAs also were confused since they had given away a crew rest seat. At the same time, 2 seats were open (9A and 9J on an A330), and the 2 upgraded folks were moved to 2A and 2J (2A is normally a crew rest).
All ended well, but for future travels, is it true that the doc check needs to be done before they can process the upgrade? And why would my open seat not show up on the list of available seats?
In any case I may just avoid this confusion and go to the gate sooner next time.

Just curious.
Thx!
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was once traveling FLL-ATL-BOG and was skipped because my passport was not checked at FLL and they upgraded #1, #4, and #5. We were #2 and #3 and after complaining, they downgraded #4 and #5 and we got our seats. The GA explained to us that since the SkyClub did not check our passports and we did not go to the gate until boarding time, they could not process the upgrade.

As far as the zero seats issue, similar happened to me earlier this month. I was traveling SDQ-ATL, the Delta App was showing 0 seats since long ago, as they zeroed out the F cabin and no seats were available for sale. Although EF showed 7 open seats, the app was showing 0 seats available. I checked in and was told that I was #3 for 7 seats. Upgrade cleared, the app never reflected the amount of seats available.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the official rule for international travel on DL is that you must show your travel documents to some DL staff member an hour before scheduled departure time, the same as the cutoff for check in. You can do this at the check in counter, the lounge, customer service desks, or at the gate. I always ask to have my boarding pass reprinted so that "DOCS OK" is there as proof that I did this. I try to avoid doing it at the gate as lines can be long, but I've had SC agents send me to the gate when there's a more complicated passport/visa situation as the GAs working international flights are supposed to be the experts.

I've heard a lot of stories saying that AA calls people up to the podium for upgrades and if a passenger doesn't appear when the name is called, the upgrade goes to the next person on the list. It obviously can be a way to save upgrades for friends and family (such as nonrevs) or in other words shenanigans. If someone doesn't watch the list, they could easily be unaware of losing an upgrade and just assume that there's no upgrade inventory.

If DL uses airport contract staff (like at most outstations) as GAs, I could easily imagine them applying policies and procedures of a different airline.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the official rule for international travel on DL is that you must show your travel documents to some DL staff member an hour before scheduled departure time, the same as the cutoff for check in. You can do this at the check in counter, the lounge, customer service desks, or at the gate. I always ask to have my boarding pass reprinted so that "DOCS OK" is there as proof that I did this. I try to avoid doing it at the gate as lines can be long, but I've had SC agents send me to the gate when there's a more complicated passport/visa situation as the GAs working international flights are supposed to be the experts.

I've heard a lot of stories saying that AA calls people up to the podium for upgrades and if a passenger doesn't appear when the name is called, the upgrade goes to the next person on the list. It obviously can be a way to save upgrades for friends and family (such as nonrevs) or in other words shenanigans. If someone doesn't watch the list, they could easily be unaware of losing an upgrade and just assume that there's no upgrade inventory.

If DL uses airport contract staff (like at most outstations) as GAs, I could easily imagine them applying policies and procedures of a different airline.
Agreed. I always show my documents early and get the paper pass.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Agreed. I always show my documents early and get the paper pass.
This. "Checked in" includes having all documents required for entry approved.
dcadwell likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

You don’t even need to see a DL agent and can just scan your passport at any DL kiosk instead. The Kiosk will verify it and give you the “DOCS OK” on your printed BP.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
What if your passport has already been verified by Delta via a previous trip (not part of the same PNR)?
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by emma dog
What if your passport has already been verified by Delta via a previous trip (not part of the same PNR)?
You will still need to show (scan) your passport at some point. Likely again as you board. The whole point is that you need to have your passport in your possession when you attempt entry at your destination and, if you don't, it's not just you that gets the boot, it's DL that gets fined and has to return you to your origin.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
This is good info to know. While I have always checked bags on an international trip, thus having my passport checked at bag drop, I will make sure if I am ever traveling on an UG eligible international flight with no baggage to make sure and get the Docs reviewed early on after arriving at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.