New Executive Roles Announced

Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
New Executive Roles Announced

Alain Bellemare, former CEO of Bombardier and Pratt & Whitney, will become President-International for Delta

Michelle Horn, formerly of Softbank and McKinsey, will become SVP and Chief Strategy Officer.

https://news.delta.com/ed-bastian-me...eadership-team
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are these new positions at DL? If not, what happened to the previous holders of these titles?
rkoechel likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If not, what happened to the previous holders of these titles?
Does it really matter?

And do you believe whatever would be publicly announced would necessarily be the truth? Perhaps they wanted to "spend more time with family" or "pursue outside opportunities."

Regards
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these new positions at DL? If not, what happened to the previous holders of these titles?
Steve Sear was previously EVP-Global Sales and President-International. Based on this press release, he will return to overseeing Global Sales. (FWIW, Steve came up through the sales ranks from Northwest and then Delta).

Chief Strategy Officer appears to be a new position.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
So the president of a failed aerospace company is joining Delta? Sounds about right at this point in time...
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
McKinsey = The airline killer.....nothing good ever comes from their ideas.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Alain Bellemare, former CEO of Bombardier and Pratt & Whitney, will become President-International for Delta

Michelle Horn, formerly of Softbank and McKinsey, will become SVP and Chief Strategy Officer.

https://news.delta.com/ed-bastian-me...eadership-team
when I saw this, I really do wonder if Alain will be the heir apparent to Ed.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
McKinsey = The airline killer.....nothing good ever comes from their ideas.
It's interesting as Michelle is not airline industry strategy but rather people/talent strategy. So maybe things will turn out okay.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CALMSP
when I saw this, I really do wonder if Alain will be the heir apparent to Ed.
I’ve always assumed it’s Glen Hauenstein.
MSPeconomist and DiverDave like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
So the president of a failed aerospace company is joining Delta? Sounds about right at this point in time...
DL sure knows how to attract top talent... NOT lol
AANYC1981 and readywhenyouare like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
DL sure knows how to attract top talent... NOT lol
I know we're talking about executives here which is a small segment of the business but Delta is usually well recognized in the industry for hiring and - even more importantly - retaining talent better than most airlines (along with Southwest) and having overall better company/employee culture. I probably sound like a fanboy here (I'm not) but believe this is generally considered to be true. Across all companies in the US they score in the top 5-10% of retention, employee satisfaction, and management/CEO rankings. (Source: https://www.comparably.com/companies/delta-air-lines)

So, at least historically, I don't think you can make fun of them in terms of talent management. We'll see how Delta is going forward in the new world.
Fly_Delta_Jets likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ethernal
I know we're talking about executives here which is a small segment of the business but Delta is usually well recognized in the industry for hiring and - even more importantly - retaining talent better than most airlines (along with Southwest) and having overall better company/employee culture. I probably sound like a fanboy here (I'm not) but believe this is generally considered to be true. Across all companies in the US they score in the top 5-10% of retention, employee satisfaction, and management/CEO rankings. (Source: https://www.comparably.com/companies/delta-air-lines)

So, at least historically, I don't think you can make fun of them in terms of talent management. We'll see how Delta is going forward in the new world.
I like your optimism but having dealt with McKinsey now twice in my working career they are the absolute worst.....I don’t know why these companies can’t rely on their OWN talent instead of these consultants
fly747first likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I like your optimism but having dealt with McKinsey now twice in my working career they are the absolute worst.....I don’t know why these companies can’t rely on their OWN talent instead of these consultants
Well, you can't really say that they are relying on McKinsey when they hired someone from them (technically with SoftBank in between).

Consultants have value (And there are many types of consulting.. from high end strategy to low end staff aug). Sometimes they are overused to the point it hollows out internal capabilities. But they have a purpose. Either way, I don't think Delta is known particularly for having a ton of consultants running around relative to a lot of companies.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Well, you can't really say that they are relying on McKinsey when they hired someone from them (technically with SoftBank in between).

Consultants have value (And there are many types of consulting.. from high end strategy to low end staff aug). Sometimes they are overused to the point it hollows out internal capabilities. But they have a purpose. Either way, I don't think Delta is known particularly for having a ton of consultants running around relative to a lot of companies.
They have for many years....most people just don’t it
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Throughout my career, I'm yet to meet a consultant who actually added value except for the ones hired for new system implementations. The last consultant my company had recommended that he be made CEO and after a few months in that role, it was beyond evident to everyone that he was more lost than a monkey trying to solve a quadratic equation and he was shortly fired.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.