Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to Stop Emotional Support Animals

Old Jan 8, 21, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

Searched, but didn't see anything from the past day or so.

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/de...s%20on%20board.
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 4M
Jan 11

Do you think they really mean what has been posted? It says if you book before Jan 11 with the proper paperwork - there appears not to be a drop dead date for final travel. I think AA was the end of January. But Delta felt more open ended? Anyone know for sure/?
Old Jan 8, 21, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, they really did mean that. DL's policy is quite clear:

Delta will honor existing bookings for Emotional Support Animals January 11, 2021 and there after provided required documentation was submitted and the reservation was confirmed prior to January 11, 2021.

None of this is a shock as DL was one of the carriers strongly urging the DOT rules change. Same discussions for the other carriers.
Old Jan 8, 21, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM
Good start but there are still major loopholes. All an imposter has to say is the dog has been trained to perform x task due to a disability. The business cannot ask any further questions.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Yes, they really did mean that. DL's policy is quite clear:

Delta will honor existing bookings for Emotional Support Animals January 11, 2021 and there after provided required documentation was submitted and the reservation was confirmed prior to January 11, 2021.

None of this is a shock as DL was one of the carriers strongly urging the DOT rules change. Same discussions for the other carriers.
Why did it take DL so long to announce the changes?
Old Jan 8, 21, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Good. Any animals should be banned as they can be carriers of COVID-19.
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:37 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
But what about my emotional support elephant. I can't fly without Stampy.

strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 4:26 pm
Suspended

They have all only done so within the past 7-10 days. My guess is that it takes a bit of time to implement the systems, do the training, test it and then go "live."

This is pretty good. Yes, it's possible to defraud the system, but there is just so much effort that can be put into this and the ante has just been upped because it's a DOT form and a false statement is a felony. Not that everyone with a an emotion support vole needs to go to prison, but people tend to think a bit more.
Old Jan 8, 21, 7:35 pm

Thanks for putting it in red. What I found interesting.. As you pointed out Delta was the least pro-ESA.. yet their policy is open ended.. AA is requiring travel by X date.. Delta is simply saying purchased and confirmed by Jan 11, 2021.. How far out does Delta sell tickets? This means the trailing 'tail' could be 10 months? Or am I missing something..
Old Jan 8, 21, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Finally!
Old Jan 8, 21, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr View Post
Finally!
you missed part of it..

Finally it has happened to me right in front of my face
My feelings can't describe it
Finally it has happened to me right in front of my face
And I just cannot hide it
Old Jan 9, 21, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL PM
Glad to see DL prohibiting ESAs. As someone who travels with a pet-in-cabin on occasion, I think everyone should have to follow the same rules: pay the fee at check in and keep their pet in the carrier. (Obviously trained service animals excluded).
Old Jan 10, 21, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles (Platinum), Hertz Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hotel Tonight Level 10 Statuses.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Good. Any animals should be banned as they can be carriers of COVID-19.
Can they really? Upon visiting the East Coast over the last 2 weeks, most are super neurotic about COVID but that doesn't seem to stop them from being around their pets (and even taking them to restaurants and bars.)
Old Jan 10, 21, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope DL's rules and procedures ultimately aren't perceived as any less stringent than those of competitors UA and AA. It would be frustrating if all of the ESAs and fraud-ESA owners moved their travel to DL and we ended up with more rather than fewer untrained pets in the cabin (and in SCs).
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 21, 11:02 am
Suspended

I suspect that in due course, the carriers will harmonize their policies.

The key is that the policies are enforced.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: