Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SYD Fares normally $800-$2400, but this year, they are $5k-$6500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC

Apologies if I missed a thread already discussing this.

Looking at TPAC flights to SYD later this year as we have done for the past 10 years - sans last year.
I understand the current restrictions due to covid and such, but that doesn't explain why Delta flights are, on average, 3 times more expensive than American or United.
Looking for dates in June and in Oct/Nov - same situation, 3x the cost of others.

Historically, we've paid $800-$2400, but this year, they are $5k-$6500 - just in main cabin. PS is only $600 more. J is over $10k.
But United and American have tickets from $1500-$2k.

Noticing that PVG flights, same price hike, but not HND, those are inline.

Curious if anybody has an explanation other than brand new A350s on the route or trying to make up covid losses?
Are TATLs also that inflated?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
TATL fares ($1-1.5K R/T) are a little higher than in the past couple of years, but nothing like SYD. I suspect the prices will come down a month or two prior to departure. Not sure why revenue management is not more realistic, though....
N153US likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta has been high on themselves for nearly a decade. They think they can command whatever price they want and people will pay it. I saw the pics of a recent D1 meal with a salami sandwich that looked sickening. Anyone who would pay these prices for current DL service needs their head examined.
arunhn, RealHJ and emrdoc like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
It’s the pax number cap into Australia and the maximum number of ppl per flight allowed into the country.

Basically, if you need to get back to Australia, you’ll need to really pay for it. It’s to maximise revenue on restricted pax numbers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if those AA and UA flights ended up getting cancelled and then designated cargo only.

If you can get those lower prices on AA/UA go for it.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I've been watching this too. What a joke. COVID crisis will be over by next Oct/Nov and it's still 4K+ for coach. I am waiting it out, or going with a different airline. What are they smoking??
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Australia has stated international travel isn't expected to return to 'normal' until Dec 2021 or later. I assume you are an Australian citizen if you are considering going this year. Until then, the airlines have to navigate a tricky world of passenger arrival limits. Delta obviously has a different perspective than UA or AA.

So unfortunately we don't know why but DL isn't that interested in selling many seats just yet on this route in 2021.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Delta likely is lukewarm on operating the flight. With no reliable partners operating for alternate flights, re-booking would likely be expensive.

Jiburi
Weekend Away and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
It’s the pax number cap into Australia and the maximum number of ppl per flight allowed into the country.

Basically, if you need to get back to Australia, you’ll need to really pay for it. It’s to maximise revenue on restricted pax numbers.

Wouldn’t surprise me if those AA and UA flights ended up getting cancelled and then designated cargo only.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Australia has stated international travel isn't expected to return to 'normal' until Dec 2021 or later. I assume you are an Australian citizen if you are considering going this year. Until then, the airlines have to navigate a tricky world of passenger arrival limits. Delta obviously has a different perspective than UA or AA.

So unfortunately we don't know why but DL isn't that interested in selling many seats just yet on this route in 2021.
This and this.

Unless you are a citizen or resident, don't plan on visiting Australia this year. Prices are what the (limited) market will bear.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:50 pm

You can go tonight on DL for $1473 one way, seems like a bargain.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Delta likely is lukewarm on operating the flight. With no reliable partners operating for alternate flights, re-booking would likely be expensive.

Jiburi
This. Flights are currently only operating 4x weekly and they are likely re-evaluating the schedule. It's really not about the "fares", it's the bucket availability which they are pretty clearly limiting presently to discourage future bookings. From May onwards, DL41 only has Y/B or Y/B/M buckets open in coach on Sun-Wed flights. On Thu-Sat flights, there is no coach bucket availability at all and only J/C/P buckets have inventory. DL40 return flight has open availability, but the limited buckets open on DL41 is going to heavily skew roundtrip pricing.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 5, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by xliioper
This. Flights are currently only operating 4x weekly and they are likely re-evaluating the schedule. It's really not about the "fares", it's the bucket availability which they are pretty clearly limiting presently to discourage future bookings. From May onwards, DL41 only has Y/B or Y/B/M buckets open in coach on Sun-Wed flights. On Thu-Sat flights, there is no coach bucket availability at all and only J/C/P buckets have inventory. DL40 return flight has open availability, but the limited buckets open on DL41 is going to heavily skew roundtrip pricing.
I always appreciate your insight with fares and bucket availability. Thanks for that.

My guess is that DL is taking the more pessimistic view towards travel resumption with Australia and they don't want people to buy now while they're cheap. UA,AA, and QF for flights as of July 1st, would rater take the money now and worry about the inevitable cancellations and refunds later.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All part of the reason I would not even begin to look at this until 30-45 days prior to my intended departure. It's simply way too early for RM/IM decisions and that means not opening low fare buckets until the situation shakes out. If indeed things open up and DL can sell D1 for those prices, why on earth would it discount?

If it can't, it will sell the discounted fare buckets closer to the date and be no worse for having held off. You can play the same game in the current situation.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
Selling many seats isn't necessarily the same thing as maximizing profits (or revenue per flight operated).
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Currently AU allow about 30~40 incoming passenger per flight to match the (self paid) 14 day hotel isolation, organised by the states. From AU government reports that is likely to continue for 2021, irrespective of vaccine programs.
DL may be assuming the capacity limit will continue for all of 2021. AA, UA & QF assuming the limits will be increased towards year end (or even mid year). To me those 3 airline cancelling tickets would not be surprising. Economy/coach tickets may be cancelled first.

Main AU C19 thread (has links to AU Government statements)--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-mar-5.html

Originally Posted by jjclancy
You can go tonight on DL for $1473 one way, seems like a bargain.
They must had had a late cancellation, as flights have capacity limits or an extra allocation from AU/NSW Government.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 6, 2021 at 12:22 pm
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
I’m looking for flights in December this year...Main Cabin from JFK-SYD is averaging around USD 7000???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.