Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bye bye 60k VS miles in Delta One from North America to Asia...

Old Jan 1, 21, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL

https://onemileatatime.com/virgin-at...-delta-awards/
Old Jan 1, 21, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Bye bye VS for anything international on D1. This devaluation from VS sucks -- I have a huge stash of VS due to now 2x cancellations of ORD - HND NH F awards and now the more realistic replacement (DL awards for sometime over the next 12 months) is a non-starter
Old Jan 1, 21, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Still savings vs. SkyPesos
Old Jan 1, 21, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Have to think this was largely driven by Delta. They clearly want to eliminate any kind of points usage on their flights.
Old Jan 1, 21, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
That's a massive devaluation indeed. DL flights like HNL-KIX (4116 mi) that used to be 35,000 one-way in O if booked via VS (vs. the crazy sky high pricing if booked via DL itself...but everyone knows/knew not to waste DL miles on massively overpriced DL flights, of course) now are 105,000. That exactly a tripling in cost. Ouch!

I guess the only consolation is that DL has pretty much stopped int'l flying and cancelled many/most flights straight from its schedules, so it's not like you can or could book much anyway even if you wanted to. With DL fleet now trimmed down too, the opportunities to use VS points for DL flights were few and far in-between.

Edit: at least other airlines booked via VS pricing is still intact. ANA to Japan still is 35K one-way, 70K round-trip in J (or 90K in F on the NH A380 and with the exclusive F lounges) from HNL, for example, but it requires a round trip booking, which of course is practically impossible as award flights are normally gone within minutes if not hours of being released, and by the time the return is loaded, the outbound flight is long gone and N/A.
alexm1229 likes this.

Last edited by RealHJ; Jan 1, 21 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 1, 21, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Even for domestic flights, I used to fly SJC-JFK (pre pandemic) several times at 22.5k level, now itís 57.5k miles...
Old Jan 1, 21, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Well...DL barely fly to Asia...what's the point?
Repooc17, RealHJ, CO-PLAT and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 21, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Well...DL barely fly to Asia...what's the point?
It used to, and will, right? There were more than 20 PVG, ICN and newly-added HND routes pre-pandemic.
Old Jan 1, 21, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
It used to, and will, right? There were more than 20 PVG, ICN and newly-added HND routes pre-pandemic.
Does DL even have the fleet to do so? DL has shrunk its fleet considerably last year. Many routes it has cut completely and there's no flights to end of schedules (HNL-KIX, NGO, FUK come to mind, as do the what used to be 10+ daily NRT flights (4 x HNL-NRT alone), while what was at HND even pre-pandemic was a sorry shadow of DL of years past at NRT). Probably many of the stations are shut down and everyone is fired. In fact, I've heard that a few times over the years from various DL station staff, how DL likes to give next to no advance notice (only a few weeks) of shutting it down and firing everyone, without giving courtesy of notice and helping their staff find new jobs. Over 2020 DL probably let that machine go into overdrive (as was to be expected, of course), making the non-US staff pay the bulk of the price (again, as was not unexpected).

For each route DL has added it has removed a few, and now of course there's next to nothing operating or even in schedules.

I think that post-pandemic it'll be fewer int'l flights, much higher prices, and to get to a country/airport it'll be often just the flag carrier that flies there (as, well, they have to), with other airlines (like DL) being very slow and conservative at (re-)adding/establishing routes.
Old Jan 1, 21, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
SkyMiles really has become one of the most useless programs. Are there any better places to credit DL flights to (don't care about elite status)?
Old Jan 1, 21, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Delta can't successfully operate a holiday schedule, but they have plenty of time to bully their JV partners into destroying their FF programs.

Seriously, this airline can get bent.
cmd320, RealHJ, dw and 1 others like this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jan 1, 21 at 6:11 pm
Old Jan 1, 21, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
SkyMiles really has become one of the most useless programs. Are there any better places to credit DL flights to (don't care about elite status)?
AF/KLM promo awards are pretty good.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 21, 7:33 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Have to think this was largely driven by Delta. They clearly want to eliminate any kind of points usage on their flights.
I see two possibilities:

1. DL is charging VS more (in dollars) for seats, so VS has to raise prices.
2. DL knew about the 60,000 mile sweet spot and pressured/told VS to raise award prices on DL metal flights.

It came out last year that VS pays NH $665 for a one-way F seat on IAH-NRT, so I'm actually quite curious how much VS is paying DL. Given that NH F is also 120,000 points roundtrip (the same price as VS was charging for a DL roundtrip), on the order of $500 to $600 seems plausible.

Is KE now the best program to book DL flights? Only MB transfers there unfortunately... If I'm using AF/KL miles for North America to Asia I'd probably rather book JL
Old Jan 1, 21, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
Operating or not, DL's website only shows 7 with 1 mandatory connection (ICN-MNL).

FWIW - DL, sooner or later, will become another AA, which eventually, UA will become the sole U.S. airlines serving Asia.

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Does DL even have the fleet to do so? DL has shrunk its fleet considerably last year.
This is not exactly related the route termination. Specifically, DL's 777s were not that old in term of retirement, given that the world's first ever 777 is still in service by UA. Fleet retirement may be incidental to the route termination. But definitely, it is the route driving the retirement, not the another way around.
Old Jan 2, 21, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Quick question, I was lucky enough to book two 60k F HND-SEA seats for November - lands at 9:40, traveling to OMA. I will add a AA SEA-OMA, I see flights at 11, 12 and 1:30 how long will it take to get to the AA gate?

Also is there an arrivals lounge where we can freshen up?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: