Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

2021 Upgrade Success (or lack thereof) thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:05 am

Still 100% on upgrades to F this year, but the processing of upgrades really leaves me scratching my head. On my flight a couple days ago, upgrades were processed at T-80 even though only 1 seat was occupied and there were only a couple people eligible at the DM/PM window. On my next flight, 7 seats were available at the window. I checked at T-119 and the app still showed us in C+ and I looked that the upgrade/standby list to see 0 seats available. Looked at the seat map and we actually were in F and about an hour later the app screen updated to show our new seats. It was really strange to see them fill every F seat at the DM/PM window.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mot29
DM reporting

4/6 RDU-SEA cleared at 5 days out on award ticket.
4/15-16 SEA-ATL-RDU used RUC to guarantee upgrade on a red-eye.
4/17 RDU-ATL cleared at gate, #1 for 1.
4/17 ATL-DEN cleared at gate #1 for 2. (not a 76x flight)
These were my first flights of 2021.
And a few more
4/23 DEN-ATL cleared at gate as #2 for 6 on a 764
4/23 ATL-MSY #2 for 0 - not a surprise for a Friday evening into MSY
4/26 MSY-LAX took an upgrade offer for 14,000 SM to upgrade 5 days out - flight was showing 1 available and for a 4 hour flight with the MQM and MQD offer it was worth it for me.
4/26 LAX-PDX cleared at T-120
Old Apr 29, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
DM

SJC - LAX 1 and 2 out of 0 seats to F
LAX - SJC Upgraded to F around T-90
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM

4/28 MCI-ATL - 6/15 for 1 seat, none in C+, surprised for a Wednesday morning but ended up sticking in my exit row window
4/28 ATL-HNL - 7/24 for 19 D1 seats, cleared sometime in the AM on Wednesday

Couldn't complain getting an D1 upgrade on ATL-HNL!
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Travel certainly has picked up. Ive had good luck this year on mostly regional routes as PM (86% on eligible aircraft so far), but lists are certainly growing longer this month and upgrades are a bit tougher especially on aircraft with an unfavorable F/Y ratio (A319, Im lookin at you!), especially when there are a handful of folks who WFBF.

On one of my routes usually serviced by a CRJ9, we have fluctuated between having multiple open seats in First with all upgrades cleared to an average of 4-7 upgrades not cleared earlier this year. This month, its been closer to 10-15 uncleared upgrades each trip.

As others have pointed out, Im not entirely sure how seat blocking will impact things. First has been relatively full already since they allowed couples to sit together, and since planes will overall be fuller when blocking is over with, more folks will be competing for the upgrades.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Flying next week from DCA-DTW-GRR. Got multiple offers to UG to F for about $39 per segment. Last night the F upgrades finally came through on both of my outbound legs. I'll probably get the GRR-DTW, but the DTW-DCA flight looks full.

I was able to easily use a GUC DCA-ATL-LAX, with the ATL-LAX on the A350. It will. Flight's the first week of June.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
How are folks seeing upgrades looking now with no more seat blocking? On an upcoming trip I easily upgraded at T-120 (along with one other person) and there were still 15 open seats after I cleared (on A321). It seemed like the past few months there was quite a bit of WFBF, but I'm wondering if some folks stopped doing that since they no longer can guarantee an empty seat next to them.

Granted, the flight isn't all that full and this is n-of-1, but it's been a while since I saw so many open seats on the upgrade screen that I had to make a double take
Old May 4, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I booked my first flight in 14 months on Saturday that takes off tonight and returns on the 15th (finally seeing family, including a new baby that was born on Saturday, huzzah!) and I was shocked at how easily I got upgraded.

My redeye outbound SEA to ATL on the retrofitted 764 (D1 suites but not marketed as a D1 flight) auto-upgraded me to First from MC within an hour of booking (I was waiting for the medallion line to call me back so I could burn some RUCs and by the time they did I had already cleared to FC). I probably had a decent shot of getting a complimentary FC upgrade on the return (same 764), but I was able to just apply the RUC to get it instantly and burn it since it expires in December.

I was/am shocked at how easy it was. I was tempted to just book directly into FC since Ill need to hustle to get my MQD for the year, but well take that as it comes.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
GM

5/5 HNL-MSP - 4/9 for 5 D1 seats, cleared at the gate 15 minutes prior to boarding
5/5 MSP-MCI - cleared at T-72 to F

Was 2/2 on my Hawaii trip getting cleared to D1. Service lacked a bit but the lie-flat was wonderful.
Old May 6, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
PM

5/4 DCA-DTW upgraded T-3 (A220)
5/4 DTW-GRR upgraded T-3 (A321)

5/6 GRR-DTW upgraded T-3 (CR7)
5/6 DTW-DCA #3, only one upgrade at the gate. C+ full (A220)

No more announcements about social distancing during deplaning. It’s back to a free for all.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kstateinALB
GM

5/5 HNL-MSP - 4/9 for 5 D1 seats, cleared at the gate 15 minutes prior to boarding
5/5 MSP-MCI - cleared at T-72 to F

Was 2/2 on my Hawaii trip getting cleared to D1. Service lacked a bit but the lie-flat was wonderful.
My girlfriend and I got the D1 upgrade on the 764 last month to and from HNL. Incredible plane and seat, but I really miss "real" first class. Hopefully it will return by the time we fly R/T SEA-OGG in July. But I always love getting UGd to a lie flat, food or no food!
Old May 7, 2021, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
My girlfriend and I got the D1 upgrade on the 764 last month to and from HNL. Incredible plane and seat, but I really miss "real" first class. Hopefully it will return by the time we fly R/T SEA-OGG in July. But I always love getting UGd to a lie flat, food or no food!
DL is actually still serving normal full hot meals and drinks on HNL-MSP/ATL.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
3 short flights this weekend, upgraded with companion on all 3 at the 5-day PM window:

SEA-RNO, E175
RNO-SLC, 738
SLC-SEA, 739ER

Now 7/10 in the year, all flights with companion.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
They did serve hot food for the main meal on both flights in and out of HNL. Cold snack for second meal to HNL and cold oatmeal on flight to MSP. Not the same D1 as when I last flew in late 2019 but it is what it is.
Old May 8, 2021, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by kstateinALB
They did serve hot food for the main meal on both flights in and out of HNL. Cold snack for second meal to HNL and cold oatmeal on flight to MSP. Not the same D1 as when I last flew in late 2019 but it is what it is.
Ah, so it's just us SEA/LAX flyers that get screwed. I've had enough of those damn snack boxes to last a lifetime..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.