Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cutting back on high-speed wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Delta cutting back on high-speed wifi?

Hi folks,

I'm coming to you from DL 307, A Delta One-equipped 752 currently enroute from JFK-SEA. When I last flew this route, in July of this year, there were two different tiers of Gogo internet available: the more slugglish "Browse" level and the higher-speed, more expensive "Stream" level courtesy of Gogo 2ku, On today's flight though, only the Browse level is available, which means I can't stream any Netflix movies or shows, which is how I was planning to pass the time (especially since DL hasn't updated their IFE offerings since before the pandemic!). I can't prove it, but I'm darn near positive that when I booked the flight last month, in the "amenities" section was that very specific "high-speed" (looks like a speedometer) emoji that we all love to see.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is Delta backing off on true high-speed wifi? If so, why, and is it temporary? Just trying to figure out whether I have to take that into consideration when booking another flight in a few weeks.

Thanks and happy holidays,
Daniel
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:49 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
They have wifi? Three of my last four mainline segments had no wifi at all. Seat back entertainment, but no live TV. I got 5000 apology miles on each for the lack of wifi, but only because I complained.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Had basically unusable wifi on a 767 the other day, along with zero IFE updates since March. Not surprised in the least if they've cut back on wifi plans. Surprised they're still paying for the live TV. Wonder what amenity will be stripped next....
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:43 pm

I have been using the free texting but haven’t paid for internet access on Slo-Go. The texting seems fine. The free live (5 minutes behind) TV passes the time.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As always - WiFi service is subject to aircraft availability, as well as receptions. Hence, its service quality is not guaranteed.

In other word, book whatever you want. Simply don't take WiFi as a consideration.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I think Gogo is basically not working anymore. I've had very little luck on my recent AA flights with the air to ground system.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Last flight was on a 757 and had a plethora of paid options. However, no free option for messaging only.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi folks,

I'm coming to you from DL 307, A Delta One-equipped 752 currently enroute from JFK-SEA. When I last flew this route, in July of this year, there were two different tiers of Gogo internet available: the more slugglish "Browse" level and the higher-speed, more expensive "Stream" level courtesy of Gogo 2ku, On today's flight though, only the Browse level is available, which means I can't stream any Netflix movies or shows, which is how I was planning to pass the time (especially since DL hasn't updated their IFE offerings since before the pandemic!). I can't prove it, but I'm darn near positive that when I booked the flight last month, in the "amenities" section was that very specific "high-speed" (looks like a speedometer) emoji that we all love to see.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is Delta backing off on true high-speed wifi? If so, why, and is it temporary? Just trying to figure out whether I have to take that into consideration when booking another flight in a few weeks.

Thanks and happy holidays,
Daniel
Could it be this particular aircraft is only equipped with air to ground and hasn't gotten the 2ku satellite upgrade?

In another thread it was mentioned some A321s are being delivered without wi-fi. They will get it from another provider at a later date. GoGo's exclusive contract with Delta is dead and there will be multiple providers going forward. I know Delta has made plenty of cost cuts but all indications I've seen is better wi-fi remains a priority. Free and fast is the goal, the providers just have to get there.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
I flew last month MSP-ANC on a 752 and while I can't be sure, I'm fairly confident there were two different "speed" levels of Gogo Offered. I did purchase the "regular" option as I received a text message during the flight (using the complimentary messaging option) that prompted me to review an important email, and in order to send/receive email I needed to utilize a paid option of internet. For what I had, I was satisfied (especially since we were somewhere over NW Canada at the time). I did not attempt any streaming or data intensive apps though.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:47 am

When I flew about two weeks ago, Wi-Fi was available on a 321. Messaging worked. Inflight TV worked on the seat back, but you could not send other entertainment to a tablet, except for two very old Delta service commercials. They offered One Hour, and entire flight options and also regular speed and also a streaming speed. Cannot remember all the price levels, but I do remember thinking the streaming speed was quite expensive. I think one hour of regular speed was $10.00. As always, Gogo is very unreliable and not often consistent. Whenever I have complained they have offered a coupon for future use.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:22 pm

The 2ku icon looks like a WiFi signal bar with a lightning bolt (not a speedometer). I agree with the earlier poster that I’d suspect this aircraft simply didn’t have the satellite equipment. Aircraft equipped with 2ku satellite will have the option for faster WiFi (or slower, throttled connection) and also offer it gate to gate. Aircraft not equipped will have one speed only available at 10,000 feet and up.
DLASflyer and gooselee like this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
GoGo's exclusive contract with Delta is dead and there will be multiple providers going forward. I know Delta has made plenty of cost cuts but all indications I've seen is better wi-fi remains a priority. Free and fast is the goal, the providers just have to get there.[/QUOTE]

Fast and free already exists - with Viasat. Has worked wonders on B6 for ages. AA's viasat equipped planes could always be free and are fast enough to stream just about anything. They just don't want to lose the revenue. SLO-GO needs some serious changes before they'll even be close to viasat
Old Dec 28, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Gogo got out of the commercial airline WiFi business recently and it’s now called Intelsat dba Gogo
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Could it be this particular aircraft is only equipped with air to ground and hasn't gotten the 2ku satellite upgrade?

In another thread it was mentioned some A321s are being delivered without wi-fi. They will get it from another provider at a later date. GoGo's exclusive contract with Delta is dead and there will be multiple providers going forward. I know Delta has made plenty of cost cuts but all indications I've seen is better wi-fi remains a priority. Free and fast is the goal, the providers just have to get there.
I thought all DL A/C had wifi added after delivery. Am I thinking of another airline?

As for OP not all aircraft have high speed. Oddly international aircraft are more likely not to have it for mainline aircraft.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 8:40 pm

Certain new delivery A321s do not have wifi as a cost saving measure - they will still eventually receive it. ATL says they are limiting operating as spares or on routes with historically lower wifi usage. There’s only a handful out there.

there are three types of Wifi in the fleet right now; ATG, Ku and 2Ku.

Most ETOPS aircraft, except the more recent, deliveries are equipped with Ku as they were some of the first to get satellite Wifi. aircraft with Ku and ATG don’t offer the streaming passes,

Many of the 757 are still equipped with Ku band. Even though Ku is satellite, it also it doesn’t work until 10k feet, which is a giveaway. I believe the only aircraft in the fleet that have ATG now are the 717, if I’m not mistaken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.