Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Christmas Meltdown 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
FWIW - I flew DL on 12/23 and everything went smoothly, from checkin and bag drop through my connection to arrival at my destination and baggage claim.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Google is your friend, You can verify the dates for Thanksgiving far in advance if you're unsure about the fourth Thursday in November convention.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I am not usually excited to be flying Skywest instead of mainline, but this morning I was happy I wasn’t on a DL mainline flight. Service aboard the E175 was great, btw.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Not even 9:00 am in the East and Delta has already cancelled 10 percent of its mainline schedule today (122 flights). Another 52 flights are delayed. ATL has the third most cancels of any airport in the world but the weather looks fine there. United has had 28 cancellations today and American is at 1.
This is a serious question to which I don't know the answer - could any cancellations out of Atlanta be related to the Nashville bombing? On reputable news sites (not social media) I saw statements that the FAA shut one airport due to some sort of flight tracking issue, and that the damage to the communications systems caused by the loss of the AT&T hub extended far into Georgia as well as Tennessee.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
“Cancelling Cancellations”
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
FWIW - I flew DL on 12/23 and everything went smoothly, from checkin and bag drop through my connection to arrival at my destination and baggage claim.
Glad your flights went well.

But kind of sad that a normal travel experience warrants a post.....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Unfortunately many great people who made Delta the Delta we love retired this year either normally or through an early buyout. Seeing some of these "newer" employees and how they act towards others in our social media groups, I fear for the future of Delta.
I agree this is a concern. I doubt DL will ever be the same again. I do hope I am wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I agree this is a concern. I doubt DL will ever be the same again. I do hope I am wrong.
If anyone thinks any specific carrier is going to be the same again then they’re deluding themselves. We all will have to adapt and move forward with whatever companies are doing during this pandemic and with their post-pandemic recovery.

It’s a vicious cycle but we all have our years of prosperity and years of trials & tribulations.
dw and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Total cancels ended up being 133 yesterday. Hopefully Delta saw the writing on the wall and sacrificed Christmas Day to save the post-holiday rush. Only 6 cancellations for today thus far.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’m very critical of AA but they have been outstanding during these last ~9 months on all fronts.
Indeed, hard to imagine a year ago I would have agreed with anything stating AA is outperforming Delta.

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
If anyone thinks any specific carrier is going to be the same again then they’re deluding themselves. We all will have to adapt and move forward with whatever companies are doing during this pandemic and with their post-pandemic recovery.

It’s a vicious cycle but we all have our years of prosperity and years of trials & tribulations.
Absolutely. Loyalty is only useful as long as the benefits outweigh the opportunity cost. As soon as that is no longer the case, it’s time to branch out.
wrp96 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
All of my DL flights the past few weeks have been covid full. No seats left for sale online prior to departure.
My flight on Dec 23 was MORE than covid full.

People not in the same party were sat next to each other on a 2-2 CRJ contrary to what I understood as policy.

The FA made an announcement once we were on board saying we should have been told, but that anyway we had a chance to take a later flight (right right, last flight, leave it to Christmas Eve, sure) if we were uncomfortable, but hey it's a 38-min flight so maybe just hold your breath.

Seriously. It didn't affect me apart from the general increase in bodies breathing (to avoid which is why I take DL exclusively at the moment) as I WFBF'd but I found it pretty shocking, unless policy changed while I blinked - but in that case why make the announcement?
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
My flight on Dec 24 was MORE than covid full.

People not in the same party were sat next to each other on a 2-2 CRJ contrary to what I understood as policy.

The FA made an announcement once we were on board saying we should have been told, but that anyway we had a chance to take a later flight (right right, last flight on Christmas Eve, sure) if we were uncomfortable, but hey it's a 38-min flight so maybe just hold your breath.

Seriously. It didn't affect me apart from the general increase in bodies breathing (to avoid which is why I take DL exclusively at the moment) as I WFBF'd but I found it pretty shocking, unless policy changed while I blinked - but in that case why make the announcement?
DL’s policy changed a while ago. It’s now “middle seat blocking”. But even some non-middle seats are being blocked, but not all. On Regional Jets with a 2-2 setup in Y, they are doing seat blocking on the A/B side if traveling solo but not on the C/D side. They are also not doing seat blocking on the outside seats on the A330s and 767s. If you are traveling solo on a 767 or A330 and want the seat next to you blocked, you’ll need to select a seat in the center section. If you’re on a 717 or A220 and want a seat blocked next to you, you’ll have to select a seat on the 3 side.

DL is still seat blocking in F if traveling solo.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
What’s ridiculous is how much of a premium DL is still trying to charge today with all that’s going on with their poor reliability and minimal in-flight services which was the “DL premium.” I’ve noticed on several routes, UA and AA have completely pulled back on filing BE fares while DL is going all-in by matching the AA and UA Main Cabin fares as BE and increasing their up-charge to $40 one-way. What’s ridiculous is that there really isn’t any need to buy up from BE these days with DLs middle seat blocking and very little premium business traffic. If anything, AA and UA should be going full force with BE right now as they aren’t blocking any seats.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
What’s ridiculous is how much of a premium DL is still trying to charge today with all that’s going on with their poor reliability and minimal in-flight services which was the “DL premium.” I’ve noticed on several routes, UA and AA have completely pulled back on filing BE fares while DL is going all-in by matching the AA and UA Main Cabin fares as BE and increasing their up-charge to $40 one-way. What’s ridiculous is that there really isn’t any need to buy up from BE these days with DLs middle seat blocking and very little premium business traffic. If anything, AA and UA should be going full force with BE right now as they aren’t blocking any seats.
I've noticed the same with DL matching AA with BE while AA is selling regular Y and AA's BE is far lower than Delta's. Also, AA's BE fares are better than Delta's to begin with as you can select any Y or MCE seat. Granted it's for a fee, but if you're planning to sit in MCE anyway, this is by far the cheaper way of doing it.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
What’s ridiculous is how much of a premium DL is still trying to charge today
Fares are route specific. On the routes where DL is an option for me, they are generally cheaper than AS and equivalent to UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.